Which do you favor, modern or traditional folders, or both?

Do you favor modern or traditional folders, or both?

• Modern

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • Traditional

Votes: 29 16.5%
  • Both

Votes: 87 49.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which style of folding knife do you find yourself going after? Traditional and modern folders have their place in the knife world so I added a both option in the poll. Personally, I find myself leaning more toward modern knives. Modern folders seem to come in a larger variety of steels and locking mechanisms plus I like the security of having a pocket clip.
Tell us what you choose and be sure to vote in the poll.

I have some Traditionals, and find them to be beautiful little pieces, but I don't ever carry them. I carry modern folders pretty much exclusively. Better materials, better range of uses, and I'll say it: even though I am just fine in using a knife without one, I just like having a lock on my knife.

Can go either way. I've never been a pocket clip fan so that doesn't bother me much if a knife doesn't have one. I do think I appreciate traditional aesthetics more that modern folders, but on the flip side I also am slightly more comfortable with the engineering that goes into modern locking mechanisms.

Modern for me. I've been considering getting a modern traditional though, should a variation of the Lionsteel Roundhead become available in Europe I'd buy it, so for the moment the Benchmade Proper with a Clippoint might be in my future.

Traditionals are either too puny to fit my hand comfortably or when I go large traditional they're too heavy with no pocket clip.
I don't like a loose knife or a slipped knife in the bottom of my pocket just rolling around and I won't use a belt sheath because of the exposure in my work.
I also like the wide variety of modern folder design and blade steel.
So it's modern for me 100%.

I like both but if I had to pick which one I like more, I'd go with traditionals. I like the materials and style better. Today I have a ZT 0566, Buck 110 AG, and a GEC Churchill on me. I usually don't carry a modern, but I have been lately. Mostly it's been a BM North Fork, which is the best of both worlds....

I have nothing against modern folders and have been carrying 2 In my pocket since the weekend ( one is just barely but still modern according to to the porch ) but I don't require what they generally offer.

Modern folders used to be where I was at but since realizing I don't have any true requirements for speed, or even locks I tend to mostly carry traditionals now.
One handed folders sure are a convenient breeze but I have fixed blades and besides I don't really find two handed folders to be inconvenient anyways.

I do miss pocket clips sometimes depending on the pants/shorts I'm wearing, but there's no one really affordable type that's got perfect pockets for modern and traditional folders and does it well for a lefty.
I carry modern folders every once in a while, but if speed, one hand use, and strength are the concern I've got fixed blades.
When I carry modern it's just because I have it and haven't stopped liking it.

My needs hardly change so I simply carry whatever I'm in the mood to carry. After carrying something modern in my pocket or some kind of belt knife, it's a really freeing feeling to have just a small slipjoint in my pocket knowing that this will get the job done for me just as well as the belt knife or modern one hander.

Last edited:
Traditionals for me!
I do appreciate the modern technology in a Benchmade Axislock, but not the looks.
I prefer a medium sized slip-joint with natural materials like stag, wood or bone.
Modern heat-treatment of carbonsteel has increased the performance way over what they could do in the past.
Some more recent traditionals use stainless powdersteels and that is IMO the best of both worlds.

IMGP6414.JPG
It worked for Grandpa and it works for me, so no need to reinvent the wheel as I see it.

Regards
Mikael

I carried traditionals for my early years(may have been considered modern back then:) ), but today I carry and use modern. Still love the look of the traditional knife.

I own and carry both but I have more moderns than I do traditionals by a fair margin. I must say, I love the "modern traditionals" trend that seems to be developing.

Either one for me. I look for beauty before the generation. If it grabs me in some way, that is all that matters. I have some of both. That being said, most of the modern folders out there do absolutely nothing for me. Tactical ain't practical, or good looking. Ditto for overbuilt anything. Pocket bricks need not apply. But the modern gentleman's knives like the Feist, Kwaiken, Leek, AM4, or a Roundhead are all great. As is a Barlow, or a Trapper.
On the fixed blade side, I tend more towards the modern vs. the traditional. The bushcraft style spear point, silver pommel, and the old style stacked leather handle, trailing point leave me bored. But knives under/after the Loveless influence, like Arno Bernard, are right there for me. Love my drop point hunting knives and my ever growing bird and trout collection.

I like both.

I carry a clipped knife all the time, and also carry a couple different SAKs (an Executive, and either a Pioneer or a Spartan). I consider SAKs to be 'traditionals'. I like other types of traditionals too, but find the clipped knife and SAK combo works best for me. The SAKs handle things not suitable for a 'pure knife'. When someone snaps the tip off of their one-hand opener's blade trying light prying with it, or using it as a screwdriver, I often wonder why they don't just add an SAK to their EDC (or at least a mini-prybar on the keyring), which would be an easy resolution to that problem.

Jim

Voted both; I like having a traditional in my pocket; but when I worked in a shop a traditional knife was no option: too slow, my Boss would've killed me :D
Plus a modern knife will(generally speaking) take more of a beating and come with nicer steel(for less money)

Back