Recommendation? Which do you prefer, Pena X Lanny’s Clip or Liong Mah’s Lanny’s Clip?

Basically they have the same specs and are made by the same company but I like Pena’s more because of the blade design, nicer clip and about $100 less.

Attachments

• AF627DE0-326A-41B4-A22F-EFD1F01AFD36.jpeg
    AF627DE0-326A-41B4-A22F-EFD1F01AFD36.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 74
  • F63A3631-625D-46F0-A418-741BAA6B1E52.jpeg
    F63A3631-625D-46F0-A418-741BAA6B1E52.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DAA90BAF-C144-4491-AAFD-6E422C5A82EC.jpeg
    DAA90BAF-C144-4491-AAFD-6E422C5A82EC.jpeg
    30.4 KB · Views: 75
  • BEEB8033-5D5C-4518-B56A-9BC04B6BF0DD.jpeg
    BEEB8033-5D5C-4518-B56A-9BC04B6BF0DD.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 70
The Pena Clip looks more user friendly, overall I dig the Liong Mah more from a Design Aspect (Both Knife and Clip)

The Liong Mah, although a nice looking knife, is baaaarely a Lanny's Clip.... If it even can be called that. It doesn't really have the handle/frame or blade shape to fit the pattern.

I agree the Liong Mah only has some design elements taken from the Lannys Clip, but imo it has a stronger resemblance to the Cold Steel Hatamoto, which is a design I really like.

The Liong has a super thick blade too, cool design and good quality, but I ended up selling mine.
That is the reason I don’t own one. I love the look, but saw how thick that blade stock was and decided it was a collectors item, rather than a user. I could be wrong about that, but the cost of entry is too high to take that chance.

Pena's recurve and Liong's filler tab are sticking points with me, so neither. Everyone's different, but I try not to purchase anything that includes a design element I'm not onboard with. Both nice knives, of course.

I like and own the LM. I don't care for the recurve on the Pena, although the clip point is sweet. I wish the LM had thinner blade stock, but overall I prefer the LM. When the LM first came out they could be found in some iterations for the same price the Penas are selling at.

Don't like either one. Kind of ugly and overbuilt. Plus, the Lanny's Clip is a Tony Bose design not a Pena or Liong Ma knife. It's supposed to be a slipjoint with no pocket clip. What you see there is a bastardization of the basic blade shape put into a generic handle. The Liong Mah version doesn't appear to maintain the basic blade shape. The Lanny's Clip I like the best is Case/Bose collaboration version.

Sorry I am such a n00b but what is a Lanny clip?

Personally I like Liong Mah’s design because it has a straighter handle. Mah’s also seems to have some sort of tanto thing going on.

One of my friends got a Mah SDC (slim daily carry) built by Reate and was not impressed with it. First of all it wasn’t slim. Then also some of the corners were unchamfered and quite sharp.

My friend actually called Liong Mah to ask what the story was with the sharp corners. Mah told him that Reate said ”there was nothing they could do about it” and that is why they were being produced that way. I found that extremely odd.

Sorry I am such a n00b but what is a Lanny clip?

Personally I like Liong Mah’s design because it has a straighter handle. Mah’s also seems to have some sort of tanto thing going on.

One of my friends got a Mah SDC (slim daily carry) built by Reate and was not impressed with it. First of all it wasn’t slim. Then also some of the corners were unchamfered and quite sharp.

My friend actually called Liong Mah to ask what the story was with the sharp corners. Mah told him that Reate said ”there was nothing they could do about it” and that is why they were being produced that way. I found that extremely odd.

Check out this thread, Lapedog: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/lannys-clip-thread.1282361/page-17

Back