Which do you prefer, SAK or Leatherman?

I like both for different reasons!
Leatherman for the pliers, SAK for the tweezers and toothpick!

If Leatherman would just figure out a way to have a toothpick and tweezer, it’d be just that for me!

SAK and a small pair of channel locks does everything I need it to. I prefer using dedicated tools, multi-tools are there for when the dedicated tool is not nearby. It's lightweight, the wood saw is better, the knife is more comfortable to use, and I love the can opener/#2 phillips. A seperate pair of pliers is easier to use and get into tight spaces than a plier based multi-tool, and if channel locks aren't your thing you can get mini-needle nose. I think they even make some that fold.

I have a (discontinued) Leatherman Kick that I carry now and then, which I prefer to the larger models acquired over the years, but it is no substitute for a SAK, which I always carry, no matter what else.

I have a (discontinued) Leatherman Kick that I carry now and then, which I prefer to the larger models acquired over the years, but it is no substitute for a SAK, which I always carry, no matter what else.

Same here bud. I prefer the mid sized Leatherman tools. I had a Super tool 300 a few years back, and accidentally left it on the rad of a car in an auto wreckers. Bugged me for a bit, then I decided that I never really liked it's weight anyway. I don't miss it.

I have carried a Leatherman in one shape or another for many years. I always have my Leatherman on my belt and use it daily. I also have a pocket knife or two as well. I had a Swiss Army knife years ago but haven’t replaced it.

I have carried a Leatherman in one shape or another for many years. I always have my Leatherman on my belt and use it daily. I also have a pocket knife or two as well. I had a Swiss Army knife years ago but haven’t replaced it.
Too bad because Saks are very practical, light and versatile

I have a bunch of both. My current favorite EDC is a Leatherman Skeltool CX. It’s a compact package with a quality steel blade, multiple screwdriver bits, the needle nose pliers and most importantly a bottle opener.

SAK Huntsman or a 4 blade "Demo" knife or Scout/Camp knife is what I normally carry.
Though I am thinking of getting a Leatherman Super Tool 300.
The SAK's look nice, but the Leatherman is more budget friendly.

I would have to go with a SAK. Although i do like Leatherman also. Being pliers based it does have it's advantages in some situations.

So what do carry most of the time and why?
i personally carry a leatherman wave + almost daily. i am personally a huge fan of the SAK, dont get me wrong i love them, but it simply cant compete with the leatherman in my personal opinion. it is better than nothing, but personally like all of the every day applications the leatherman has to offer. it is dwindled down to opinion and preference more than anything.

SAK carrier here. I normally pocket carry a two or three layer model. I have a Rambler on my keyring.

I used to carry a small no name multi in my bag for the pliers. It saw almost no use so it's lived in a kitchen drawer for years now (where it's also sat practically unused!). A Swisschamp has taken its place in my bag instead. Heavier but much more versatile. It's seen more use than the wee multi. For carry, the SAK pliers are enough for me.

Yes. A Swiss Army Knife is a pocket knife not a multitool.

The multitool started with Leatherman.

They are similar in that they have some of the same tools but are quite different.
What's become popularly defined as a multitool began with Leatherman. Really, it's a matter of physical form: whether it's pliers or scissors based with folding handles, or blade based. I see the larger SAKs in particular as multitools, most smaller ones, too.

SAK carrier here. I normally pocket carry a two or three layer model. I have a Rambler on my keyring.

I used to carry a small no name multi in my bag for the pliers. It saw almost no use so it's lived in a kitchen drawer for years now (where it's also sat practically unused!). A Swisschamp has taken its place in my bag instead. Heavier but much more versatile. It's seen more use than the wee multi. For carry, the SAK pliers are enough for me.

What's become popularly defined as a multitool began with Leatherman. Really, it's a matter of physical form: whether it's pliers or scissors based with folding handles, or blade based. I see the larger SAKs in particular as multitools, most smaller ones, too.
true. most "multitools" can be classified (at least by Wikipedia) as: a hand tool that combines several individual functions in a single unit.
so i guess an sak is still a multitool, but its honestly a matter of perspective

I prefer an SAK in the pocket AND a multitool on the belt.
If I cant wear the multitool on the belt, its in a bag nearby.

I like and use both SAKs and multi-tools, but if you twisted my arm and forced me to choose one over the other....the humble SAK wins.
Having said that...

If I had to hit the road and bug out in some kind of apocalyptic situation, I would grab my Leatherman Wave.

I either carry a Multi-tool and a proper folder knife or just a SAK. For most work and daily situations, it’s a SAK. But when in the outdoors, it’s the Multi-tool and a Hinderer or Bugout.

I have carried a Micra for longer than I can remember. Have to be on my 4th by now. About 6 months age I found a Pst for sale here. As a mechanic I have used it often. No it’s not a replacement for any individual tool. But fun to use.

I've been carrying a compromise, the Leatherman Free T4. It's like their version of an SAK.

I used to prefer the Leatherman plier tools, but I found it nearly impossible to keep them from rusting. With the Free T4, I can completely disassemble and clean the tool. I sometimes have the same trouble with the SAK's. There's a lot of little nooks and crannies in those knives, and it can be a bit of a pain cleaning them out sometimes.

Back