Which glue to use for scales

So I bought quite a few Rough Rider knives to try out some new patterns.

6 out of 7 was great F&F.
1 of the knife, however had major issues.

I bought the twisted bone canoe. I didn't notice when I bought the knife, but there are no pins on the cover. Which means the covers are just glued on. It would be OK if the glue was on properly but the scales started peeling off.

Thankfully the retailer will credit me back for the knife.

I was wanting to glue the scales back on but didn't know what is the best way.

I have already cleaned off the old glue.
I have at my disposal CA glue, 2 part epoxy, and gorilla glue.

Which is the best option out of these?

Thanks for the sage advice as always.

KG

I have glued wood and bone scales back onto traditional folders as well as fixed blade patterns. I always use 2 part SLOW setting epoxy, and have never had a failure.

CA glue failed me more than once, even when using the slower setting gel version.

Robert

The slower 2 part epoxy the better. I make sure to press the epoxy into the handle and into the scales before bonding (this is called wetting the surfaces). It helps assure that there are no spots without glue.

West Systems G/flex is a good choice. I've had other epoxies fail on a kitchen knife with wooden scales. G/flex has never let me down. I sand the epoxy into the handle and scales before clamping them up. I'm so confident in G/flex that I recently made myself a fillet knife with no pins. I'll test it out extensively over the next year to see now it holds up.

Back