Which hunting knife do you grab the most?

Sitting here looking at some of my hunting knives just got me to thinking of the one I prefer to take out the most which is the Ontario Robeson heirloom drop point. Great knife with a 4in blade and thin stock D2 steel that keeps an edge real good. I think second would be my buck Mesa, I still take the old 119 out from time to time, but the Mesa is smaller (5in blade) with thinner stock and has a kydex sheath, so better for weather conditions and comfort. I have others, but they're my go to knives right now. What's everyone else's go to hunting knives?

buck paklite skinner is my go to. it pretty much lives in my pack and stays ready to go.

for small critters, I'll grab the 25OT

My Fallkniven HK9 is my hunting knife. Only one I take now. Love it.

I’ve never owned a Fallkniven but I was just looking at that one recently. Nice looking knife. I believe 3G steel is their equivalent of R2. I have an R2 petty knife that I’ve been super impressed with...good toughness, takes a wicked edge and holds it well.

Obviously you like this one, but I was wondering how that handle feels? It looks a bit blocky which made me wonder.

Over the last 10+ years it has been the Outdoor Edge w/gut hook and the CS Master Hunter that get the most use.

Recently, the last two years you can add the Buck 119, Grohmann #3, Puma Hunter's Pal, and the CS Canadian Belt knife. The last three are not only great at white-tailed deer sized game but really excel at small game, which to me as a falconer is perfect. Of these newer knives, the Grohmann is the one that is with me all-the-time and I have really grown to love it and rely on it.

RAT RC3 or Spyderco Sprig. Depends on what I’m hunting. I use the Sprig the most due to camping.

I’ve never owned a Fallkniven but I was just looking at that one recently. Nice looking knife. I believe 3G steel is their equivalent of R2. I have an R2 petty knife that I’ve been super impressed with...good toughness, takes a wicked edge and holds it well.

Obviously you like this one, but I was wondering how that handle feels? It looks a bit blocky which made me wonder.

Very contoured and rounded on the edges. I have a bunch of photos in a review thread I did before.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/fällkniven-hk9.1543189/#post-17915412

I carry a 4" puukko I crafted with a Lauri differentially tempered blade. Great knife; holds a razor edge forever.
Rich

My primary is a Dan Crotts custom in S90V with a tapered tang, mammoth ivory, mosaic pins, thumb notches and red liners.

My overseas traveling knife is a Dozier yps in D2 with presentation grade ironwood, red liners and thumb notches on the spine.

For traditional hunting knives those are the only two I own. For a pig hunting/dispatch knife I’ve got a Dozier large freedom fighter.

Traditional GEC/Buck/etc. slipjoint of some sort (for squirrel, rabbit) or one of my fixed blades of 4-5" blade length (for whitetail). In the past, it's just usually been a Buck 105 pathfinder or Buck 192 Vanguard.

Recently picked up a BRKT Manitou and Hess Tiburon, both in stacked leather, that I'm looking forward to trying out during the upcoming deer season.

image.jpg Bark river gunny hunter in carbon fiber 3v. Just perfect size shape steel for me. I'm not a hunter but I love hunting knives.

Fallkniven's 3G stands for VG5/SG2/VG5 with the SG2 being the core of the sanmai laminate. The powder steel R2 is made by Kobe Steel (Kobelco) and sold to Takefu who market it as SG2. Whatever R2 knife you have I am sure that it is a laminate.
My go to knife is the Fallkniven F1 in 3G.

I used a Buck 110 or a Schrade Sharpfinger for years. This season I’ll probably be using my relatively new Buck 102, or maybe my Busse Anniversary Mean Street.

Incidentally, what exactly are you field dressing with a 119?

A Buck 110 mostly but also take a Buck 192 Vanguard if I plan on skinning a deer in camp.

Back