Which is better for in-pocket carry?

I know the debate between the Benchmade Mini-grip and the Spyderco Delica 4 is an age-old one, but I have a specific question about this. I’ve never really warmed up to pocket clips, but I do see the utility of a one-hand opener. If I were to take the clip off of either of these knives, which one would be better for in-pocket carry (like a traditional, riding in the pocket with keys, change, etc.) and why? I don’t currently own either one of these knives. Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts.

Yeah if I had to choose one I'd go with the Delica, plus with that strong detent it's never going to open up on accident.

The delica is far better for in-pocket carry. It has a strong detent and will stay closed in your pocket. I have had mini-grips pop open in pocket because it has a weak detent and the thumbstuds will catch on things and open the blade when you don't want it open.

Splurge and get a steel upgrade, I used to have one in ZDP-189.

Clipped to the pocket I'd say Grip all day, but in pocket? Delica without hesitation. As said above, thinner knife and stronger detent due to it being a backlock. I would be a tad worried about keys getting stuck in the Spydie Hole though.

I agree that clipless and loose in the pocket I’d want something that doesn’t open as easily as the mini Griptilian(that’s usually a plus for those of us who use the clip). And I personally prefer the grip to the Delica. Now if you were going to carry it in a watch pocket I’d probably choose the mini because there should be a lesser chance of an accidental open if it’s carried that way, and as I said earlier, it’s my preferred knife of the two.

the kershaw leek in 14c28n of course, smaller dimensions overall, the clip is pretty flat and doesn't get caught on things... better slicer than both of those by a good margin : )

I have both and I vote Delica (slimmer). Mi Mini-Grip also features a hole in the blade (same as Spyderco) and I never had a problem with the keys catching on it.

Yup Delica. Grip wins with a clip but the blade retention isn’t as good as the Delica.

Its worth it to note that although the delica and minigrip are commonly recommended together the delica is considerably longer OAL. Consider the dragonfly as well as the chaparral to cover the size ranges around the minigrip. I've owned all 4 (delica, mini grip, dragonfly, and chap) and i personally clipless carry the dragonfly, and wouldn't consider that for the delica/minigrip for reasons mentioned above for mini grip, and the delica being a bit big to loosely sit at the bottom of my pocket(im a small dude) - when the delica is sitting flat it is uncomfortable to me.

Last edited:
I do have both and I would have to say the Mini Grip because it is shorter in length.
For instance I can't stand a Case Trapper teetering across my thigh. It is too long (and too heavy . . . though it is one of my favorite EDCs). I put my Trappers in a belt pouch . . . as I do my Full Size Griptillian).

The Delica is longer than the Trapper by a couple mm and the Mini Grip is significantly shorter than the Delica; ~ 10mm.

I just tried both in my pocket one at a time. Neither one seems to be a problem. Certainly better than a Case Trapper loose in the bottom of my pocket.

And . . . you know it is coming . . .
Get both. :)

To grip them to open them quick this is probably how they would sit in the bottom of your pocket.
PS: note the Delica is a Wharncliffe blade so it seems a little wider than the leaf shape blade.
IMG_5634.jpg

I’m gonna throw in a wild card since I’ve carried the Bugout in pocket. It’s thinness and weight makes you forget it’s there. That being said, I’ve also carried the Delica in pocket and it’s also great. The Bugout does give you S30V steel though... along with a higher price tag.

I’m gonna throw in a wild card since I’ve carried the Bugout in pocket. It’s thinness and weight makes you forget it’s there. That being said, I’ve also carried the Delica in pocket and it’s also great. The Bugout does give you S30V steel though... along with a higher price tag.

OK my turn . . . wild card you say . . . better steel . . . thin.
That can only be . . .
. . . the Spyderco UKPK . . . in . . . that's right . . . S110V.
Yes it is a one hand knife. Even fun to fidget with. More friendly that way than a lock back (the Delica).
I dig this knife ! I always say I feel it is kind of a classic, or will be, rivaling the Buck 110. Not for the same use but a ground breaking knife none the less. :thumbsup:
IMG_5635.jpg
IMG_5636.jpg IMG_5637.jpg
IMG_5640.jpg

OK my turn . . . wild card you say . . . better steel . . . thin.
That can only be . . .
. . . the Spyderco UKPK . . . in . . . that's right . . . S110V.
Yes it is a one hand knife. Even fun to fidget with. More friendly that way than a lock back (the Delica).
I dig this knife ! I always say I feel it is kind of a classic, or will be, rivaling the Buck 110. Not for the same use but a ground breaking knife none the less. :thumbsup:
View attachment 1005723
View attachment 1005727 View attachment 1005728
View attachment 1005729

If we're going there, I would also say that the Spyderco Urban would work well. The blade is slightly smaller than a mini-Grip, but the knife is a lot lighter and the handle design still allows me to get all my fingers on the handle, whereas with the mini-Grip my pinkie is left hanging. I would opt for the K390 sprint; they are getting hard to find, but if you can find one it is a great knife. The standard version is N690Co, which would be essentially the same as the VG-10 in the standard delica.

As others have said, because of the grip's weak detent I'd never carry it besides clipped with the spine of the blade against a seam of a pocket.

As others have said, because of the grip's weak detent I'd never carry it besides clipped with the spine of the blade against a seam of a pocket.

I don't know about weak. I wouldn't call it weak.
I certainly wouldn't call it a detent. It has the axis lock which is more dynamic than a blade held with a tiny ball detent meaning the omega springs and axis lock will pull the blade into the knife from quite a ways out from the handle. Much further from the handle than even a compression lock. My point is even if the blade some how opened a bit it would very likely be immediately pulled back into the handle.

I took these photos of another Axis lock comparing it to the compression lock. Look how far the blade can be open and still have it quickly drawn back into the handle. The Mini is similar.

There may still be a problem but I'm just saying . . .

From this far out the axis lock will still draw the blade into the handle when I release the axis
IMG_4761.jpg
IMG_4762.jpg

In contrast the compression needs the blade this close into handle before it will draw the blade in the rest of the way.
IMG_4764.jpg

At this point the axis lock can no longer pull the blade in
IMG_4760.JPG

T this point the compression lock can no long pull the blade into the handle.
IMG_4763.jpg

I don't know about weak. I wouldn't call it weak.
I certainly wouldn't call it a detent. It has the axis lock which is more dynamic than a blade held with a tiny ball detent meaning the omega springs and axis lock will pull the blade into the knife from quite a ways out from the handle. Much further from the handle than even a compression lock. My point is even if the blade some how opened a bit it would very likely be immediately pulled back into the handle.

I took these photos of another Axis lock comparing it to the compression lock. Look how far the blade can be open and still have it quickly drawn back into the handle. The Mini is similar.

There may still be a problem but I'm just saying . . .

From this far out the axis lock will still draw the blade into the handle when I release the axis
View attachment 1005830
View attachment 1005831

In contrast the compression needs the blade this close into handle before it will draw the blade in the rest of the way.
View attachment 1005832

At this point the axis lock can no longer pull the blade in
View attachment 1005833

T this point the compression lock can no long pull the blade into the handle.
View attachment 1005834
Nope. It is a detent and it is much more weak than the delica's back lock and the compression lock. I'm not the only one arguing this. Take a look at what other people have said in this thread. Also, it doesn't take much searching to find where an axis lock, not properly carried has opened.

Best would be a now year or more out of print Salt 1...Delica 3....lighter, smoother in pocket, edges far more rounded, no cheesegrater scales, no steel liners, half the parts count....stronger blade, too...I think close to 2oz minus clip, and 2.5oz wirh clip?...been a while since I weighed one...the PacSalt is 3.1oz with clip, and a good pocket knife in own right.
I bought quite a few, same with PacSalts, seeing them endangered as well, the Delica/Endura 3 was the best they ever made. Downhill ever since in weight, complexity, grinds.

Back