Which Khukuri should I buy???

Hey guys...

I was wanting some advice on which Khukuri I should buy. In my (very) limited research, it seems that there are tons of subtle nuances. I'd like one that is rather traditional and plain (not gaudy or overly decorative). I'd like one that has good quality, "fit and finish", and is usable as well. I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it, mainly because if I pay a lot for a knife, I dont feel that I can go hacking my way through the woods with it. If I end up liking them I can always get a "pretty" one later.

Any recommendations?

I've found what seems to be a couple of places to order from...

www.gurkhahouse.com, Himalayan Imports, and KhukuriHouse.com. There seems to be a HUGE range in prices for very similar knives. Can someone enlighten me?

I'd like to know what basic model you'd recommend and from which maker/importer. I dont know if I'm doing something taboo by mentioning two competing companies (both of which have forums here) so if I am, please let me know...

Thanks...

--Matt

Welcome, Mundele. Your situation comes up pretty often, and there was a thread about this a few weeks ago. Some of the first time buyer issues are user size and intended use. Heavy chopping calls for a heavier khukuri, like an Ang Khola. And, like you most folks prefer to get a knife for more general use their first time out. The most popular khukuri for someone anywhere close to 6' with medium to large hands is the WW2. Smaller users often like the SN1, which is the actual issue khukuri of the Gurkhas. Either is a good place to start, and most prefer the WW2 if being forced to choose just one.

Khukuri House is the supplier of Gurkha House, and whe sole maker of issue khukuris for the Gurkhas. While KH prices are very appealing, there isn't much left over in the way of savings after shipping to the USA. Also, GH has a great guarantee if you change your mind, want to trade an unused khukuri for another model, etc.

Hope this is of some help. Take your time to learn and decide, as your idea of starting out with a basic model is good wisdom. You can learn about them fastest by going through the old threads.

Dan

Back