SOG Which Knife should I choose?

Which one would you recommend?

• SOG Field Knife FK1001-CP

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • SOG Field Pup FP3-L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CIMA G20 (Black Finish w/ G10 handles)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hey Guys, I'm completely knew here - so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong place!
I've been looking around as of late for a light-medium duty (food prep, feather-sticking, that kind of stuff) buddy knife to take along with my Gerber Strongarm. So far I have narrowed it down to three knives and would like to hear what everyone's experience with the knives have been!

SOG Field Knife FK1001-CP My only Inhibition about this one is the steel, I know that 7cr17mov is ok (I have a folder in it which I love for light work) however I've never used SOG 7cr17mov before. Besides that I absolutely love the design of it (if it came in AUS-8 this wouldn't be a problem at all - I would get this one hands down (so if your listening SOG - I would easily pay an additional $10 for this in AUS-8!))!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004U995N...Ss&pd_rd_r=TMHPMHVX3M21XARTJT8M&pd_rd_w=jrJgz
SOG Field Pup FP3-L A nice knife, comes in AUS-8 which is a huge plus for me (really want to try it out since my only foray into this steel was from Schrade which rusted within a week of use) however I'm not particularly fond of the handle.

CIMA G20 I'm probably going to catch flak for a knife company that has in the past copied ESEE designs, however this one seems to be completely original! I love the G-10 handles on it and the fact that it comes in AUS-8 steel (though I'm questioning how durable it is compared to SOG).

At this price point (~$25) I would consider Mora's but honestly, I just want something different.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know what to say about any of those knives. Rubberized handles (ala Falkniven) are grippy, for sure, and the FP3 has a handle shape that will probably fill your hand better than the FK1001-CP. G20 looks good with the micarta handle, but it is going to be less grippy.

Are you dead set in stainless steel? Just by amazon suggestions while I was checking your links (which BTW is not allowed in the forum unless are paying supporters, so you better remove them) you could very well get MORE knife if you choose a carbon steel blade.

Wellcome to the forum and read the rules!

Thank you for the warning! I thought I had read all the rules but obviously I need to go back again!

As for the steel.......yes and no. On one hand I wouldn't mind having a carbon knife since they're easier to sharpen and generally less expensive when compared to stainless, however on the other hand I've handled stainless my whole life, so I'm fearful I'll forget that it's not and end up with big old rust blotches all over the blade. That being said, I just looked and saw a Schrade knife for less. Any carbon steels around that price point you'd recommend?

Well my list just got narrowed by one - the Sog Field pup apparently is no longer made in AUS-8 steel and instead 7cr17mov - as such I'm most certainly not going to buy it for $30+ dollars, I may as well get the Seal Pup Elite or the Bushlore at that price point. I think I'm going to go with the Sog Field Knife. Not only do I had experience with 7cr17mov (which will be an easy steel to sharpen, thank god since my sharpening abilities thus far have been mixed at best), but I also won't need to buy a leather sheath for it because the sheath that comes with it is good (meanwhile the CIMA has a cheap nylon one that has terrible retention). What do you guys think? Got any other recommendations for around $25 or should I go with the Field Knife?

Field knife should serve you well. Buy it, use it and learn what you want/need for future knife purchases.

Moras aside, most of my suggestions are probably out of your price range! Not that they are expensive knives per se, but more money than you would like to spend.

After consideration, I think your right Mikel! While I love that CIMA knife - I think the Field knife would be the better option, not only would I kinda learn what I want in a fixed blade knife but it will probably serve me better in the meantime (especially since it has more of a rugged feel to it, almost like it's asking to be used and abused)! Thank you guys for your help! Real quick Mikel, if the price was higher what would you have recommended?

Real quick Mikel, if the price was higher what would you have recommended?

I would choose any of the smaller regular offerings of Falkniven. F1 or S1. Laminated VG10 steel, rubberized grips, synthetic sheath and full convex ground. Doesn't get much more stainless than that and are affordable. I have both and I like the F1 more. Shop arround for the best price, but a quick check on the infamous auction site says you could have it for arround $115. Probably better deals out there in regular knife suppliers (check BF supporters).

I am talking about the regular F1 with VG10 laminated steel, satin blade, rubber handle and Zytel sheath. F1 pro or 3G steel or micarta handles or leather sheath or black coated blade... cost more.

BEWARE of ultra cheap prices and buy from a reliable source. There are loads of fake ones coming from China. They look identical, but you are not getting quality (solid chunk of unknown steel for instance). Not sure if they have the manufacturer markings on the blade but anyway, stay away from the usual suspects (they can be had for as little as $15). As stated, buy from a reliable source.

Mikel

I would choose any of the smaller regular offerings of Falkniven. F1 or S1. Laminated VG10 steel, rubberized grips, synthetic sheath and full convex ground. Doesn't get much more stainless than that and are affordable. I have both and I like the F1 more. Shop arround for the best price, but a quick check on the infamous auction site says you could have it for arround $115. Probably better deals out there in regular knife suppliers (check BF supporters).

I am talking about the regular F1 with VG10 laminated steel, satin blade, rubber handle and Zytel sheath. F1 pro or 3G steel or micarta handles or leather sheath or black coated blade... cost more.

BEWARE of ultra cheap prices and buy from a reliable source. There are loads of fake ones coming from China. They look identical, but you are not getting quality (solid chunk of unknown steel for instance). Not sure if they have the manufacturer markings on the blade but anyway, stay away from the usual suspects (they can be had for as little as $15). As stated, buy from a reliable source.

Mikel

Now that is a beautiful knife (F1 or S1), I've been looking at that one for a while however the price has been scaring me off lol! Eventually though I plan on getting my hands on that and the A1 since they are both wonderful from what I've heard and seen!

Yea I've ran across one of those such knock offs when I was searching for knives in VG-10, was laughing when they 'mismarked' it as being 12c27, VG-10, and ATS-34! Thank you again for your help!!

At around 25 dollar price point there is almost no escaping the Moras. But you could try the Hultafors OK4 outdoor knife, which is slightly under 4 inches, has a very good handle, 3 mm thick decent steel (Japanese), good grind for wood, and a pretty resistant dark coating. Hultafors improved their otherwise somewhat bizarre plastic sheath by adding a webbing belt loop with a firesteel holder. It wears very comfortably, has a nice blade shape with a good belly for whittling spoons and so on. It slices better than say a Mora heavy duty. And it looks good, even won a design award. Pricewise it should be within the limit of 25 bucks.

Now there's a name I haven't heard for a while - ironically Hultafors was suppose to be the first knife I was going to have (that was before I saw the S&W Border Guard for $10)! I did end up buying the SOG so the Hultafors will again sadly take a side spot until I find the need for another knife lol!

Back