Which knife would you choose...

K.O.D.

Driving the expletive train
Platinum Member
There are probably other threads like this, and if I'm posting in the wrong section please move it to the right place. Thanks in advance.

If you were stranded in the middle of nowhere (heavily forested), and could only have one of your knives (no machetes, swords, kukri's etc) which would you choose and why. It has to be a knife you own, not one you fantasize about etc.

Me, my BM 162. Why? Its a heavy duty knife with a thick spine, holes to lash it and make it a spear, the sheath comes with a pouch for a firestarter, the blade is long enough for defense against animals but not so long as to be cumbersome. The blade is S30V so is strong and will keep a good edge for a while. It also will work well for skinning etc. Its a good all around "survival" knife which is why I own it.

Kershaw Camp 10. If I were stranded in an unknown and dangerous city, Emerson Combat Karambit.

Around here I would take the Mora Leuku- although it's borderline machete-ish.

This sak type "knife"...

ultimatemachinegun.jpg

Or this one is decent too:

get_smart_swiss_knife.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Why would you choose these knives? What about them makes them your choice?

KOD

Let's look at this a different way. Have you seen that movie "Castaway"? The one where Tom Hanks washes up on a tiny island? And then he starts finding stuff washing up from the plane crash? He gets the soccer ball, the ice scates. I keep thinking, "what knife would I be hoping to find in one of these packages"? Well frankly in that situation, any knife would have been a very welcome addition to the gear frankly.

Mora companion. Not to small to do serious stuff with. Not so big you couldn't use it to remove a splinter. It's just about the perfect knife in terms of it's geometry and whatnot. There are probably hundreds of similar knives that would be perfect as well. You could go with a Koster Bushcrafter for 10x the price.

A Survive! 4.1 or a 5.1 for me. I would want the 3V steel so I could baton with it and not have to be as concerned. I think those two sizes fall into the best combination of enough size, without being too big and cumbersome. After that, no doubt a Busse. The TGLB looks great, but the Satin Jac is also a great all around design. Those are just MY picks. Everyone will have different ideas I'm sure.

My choice would be a toss-up between either my new BHK GNS, or my 710 split. Both are 01 steel, and both are very useable utility/bushcraft blades.

BHK GNS
IMG_20130824_111507_zps9710de84.jpg

The 710 Split
IMG_20130701_130622_zps2abf5bed.jpg

Back