Which knives were you into 10 years ago?

About 80%+ of what I had back then were Benchmade and Spyderco and mostly the former.

You've come quite a ways. I bet if someone told you ten years ago that someday you'd be carrying a $500 knife everyday you would have scoffed at them. I would have.

To be honest, I didn't know $400 production knives existed back then. I knew that there were customs that would cost big money. I was 24 and the only exposure I got to knives was when I went to the flea market. I didn't learn of Spyderco, Benchmade, etc...Till I got an account here. I remember I got an account on here and I had a Smith & Wesson Spec Ops knife that I bought and I was like "I'm gonna show these guys what nice $35 knife looks like!" Yeah..I saw some pics on here of knives and never posted a pic of mines....Good times

A Case medium stockman and/or a SAK farmer was always in my pocket. Recently gave the stockman to my grand-kid and bought a Case trapper, still carry the SAK farmer. Thinking about purchasing a Case hawkbill in the near future for garden harvesting instead of carrying my Cutco.

When cutting firewood I still carry a Cutco clip point "double D" to mark out lengths of log. Has a bright orange handle and I've never lost or misplaced it. Thought it was fuggly when it was gifted to me in the mid 90's, but it's my most used and beaten upon fixed blade. One thing it sux at is skinning, so I also carried any one or two of several Bucks when hunting big game that were too far from a road or camp for dragging and required skinning and deboning. I'm older and lazier now and only plan on pocketing the trapper this deer season when hunting near home.

Always liked fixed blade hunting knives. A Buck 119 was my first purchase back in the late 70's and I still use it when butchering or grilling ribs. Never can forget what mom said when I proudly brought it home, "Think it's big enough? You plan on stabbing those deer or shooting them?". Never tried a gut-hook skinner combo, but my son-in-law gifted me a Schrade in that design...I just keep forgetting to use it...seems like it would do an excellent job of gutting and skinning.

Always liked leather gripped Estwing hatchets and Case fixed blade knives ever since grandpa took me camping as a kid. Still have those and the two mass produced Finland fillet knives he gifted me back in early 70s. I recently gifted my eldest grandson 9yr old an Estwing leather handled hatchet and engraved his initials on one side with vibrating engraver pen gizmo. Thinking about doing a "get your Axe to work" on the other side when he comes up for a week this summer.

Back then , I had just become hooked on Benchmade. Back then , I felt that their designs were interesting , their quality was consistent and good and they were worth the price (which was reasonable). I no longer care for Benchmade knives.

But theses days , Spyderco absolutely rules the production knife world (in my opinion). At least as far as what I'm interested in. I love Spyderco.

In 2007 , I was unaware of ZT and CRK. Both are brands I like very much today.

Well, mostly a Vic. Preferably a Huntsman.

So not so many things have changed since these days... ;)

Lone Wolf Lobo D/A auto. or a BM 30

jp52RyU.jpg

Last edited:
I liked Case and my prized knife was a small Case Toothpick. Nice knife in its own right, but not a Spyderco, Benchmade, ZT, Strider, Hinderer or CRK. I'm currently carrying a XM 18 Fatty Warncliffe and while it's long gone, I don't ever see myself carrying a Case again.

Ten years ago I was into Chris Reeves One Piece Range knives (now discontinued) and Busse knives.

For folders, it was Emerson, some Lone Wolf knives and the Sebenzas. In the case of the latter, I foolishly sold off my BG-42 ones.

I was completely happy with a Kershaw lock back carried in a sheath after I gave up on my Buck because I had worn through too many back pockets. Then I found Spyderco - was a great day when I clipped my new G10 Endura (more like 7 years ago) to my front pocket. Now the much and well used Endura is tired and retired - mostly relegated to my work bench and for opening new packs of suet for the woodpeckers. My regular carries these days - Rockstead CHI, a custom 4" flipper, soon to be a Shirgorov, along with some very nice fixed blades. There were many tries in between the Endura and the current carries - lots of Spydercos, customs and mid-techs. An unpredictable line for me to have followed. No going back either.

Ray

10 years ago? Tacticals. Benchmade CQC-6 & -7, Balisong, Spyderco Police. Beginning to look at neck knives. I tried a dozen before I found the wharncliffe Brous Blade Silent Soldier was ideal for my needs. Now I have two, a black Ceracote and a satin finish.

Last edited:
There is one knife that I had in 2008 that I really wish I still had. It was a Benchmade-HK 14255 tanto. The blade shape (might have been referred to as a reverse tanto) was just awesome to me.

If there's one thing that would make me look at Benchmades again , it would be the return of the 14255. But I'm sure it wouldn't be the original price of $112 anymore. Probably double that thanks to good 'ol MAP.

I also recall a dealer exclusive BM 707 I had in 2009. It had an S30V blade which back then was considered a super steel. And they were serialized. I miss serialized limited editions and dealer exclusives.

I only had two folders and a few machetes 7 years ago. A BM auto Stryker and a Kershaw flipper, some Ontario machetes, and that is about it. I definitely would not believe someone if they told me I would be carrying $500+ customs on the regular. Along with custom machetes that I beat the crap out of! Crazy!! I thought 200 was an insane price for a knife!

Precisely 10 years ago I was buying my first Spyderco Military. 10 years and 16 Millies later, I still think it's the best production folder ever.

A whole lot has changed in the past 10 years. A decade ago, I would have never dreamed of spending more than 50 dollars on any knife. I was mostly into traditional folders, but I did buy a few tactical folders here and there. About 3 years ago, I finally decided to give more costly folders a try and purchased a Benchmade Mini Barrage from a local dealer. I guess you can say that I became a knife nut that day.

My daily carries alternated between a Buck Strider Police model in ats34 and an Endura in zdp. That lasted for more than two years. I d still be happy with those today. Both less than 100 dollars if I remember the cost of the Buck correctly.

Ten years ago I was majorly into Japanese style knives like Tantos. I liked to read eastern paticularly Japanese philosophy. Not that I could ever afford anything authentic. Somehow I have yet to buy a decent fixed blade Tanto or even Katana from say Hanwei or some such company. I knew about the Warrior knife now made by Spyderco and I believe still by Al Mar.

As for which knives I actually owned? A green Endura, a Kershaw Blur, a Kershaw Ripstop (awesome unique knife I miss it)

Back