Which knives were you into 10 years ago?

Precisely 10 years ago I was buying my first Spyderco Military. 10 years and 16 Millies later, I still think it's the best production folder ever.

I believe there are many people who'd agree with you.

The Military is def in my top 3.

I'm still carrying the old 1990 model all serrated all steel blacked out police that I got way back then. I should check out the mili I guess.

10 years ago, hum...
I was carrying a CRKT m16 and a Kershaw Blur and my "to good to really carry" was a zt0350 w/ striped partially serrated blade. Oh I forgot I had a BM705!

All those knives are long gone...
Current EDC is mostly fixed blades but I do still have about a halfdozen folders in weekend rotation:
Fixed
Esee4, Esee 5 and Canduri (boot knife)
Gollik custom (designed by him to my specs)
Bradford G3 N690 (which I'm about to upgrade to a FFG / M390 one)

Folders
Spyderco GB1, P'Kal
KIA CQC-4K
CRK Sebenza 21 CF small (my dress knife)
Esee zancudo (small, non dress knife)
ZT 0750 (rarely gets carried, bought it to mod but it's so long discontinued I can't bring myself to do it and w/o the mods I planned I like the P'Kal so much better)

Fixed - Big blades.....Busse, Tops, Ontario, Chris Reeve, and so on.
Folding - Tactical .....ZT, Kershaw, Cold Steel, Spyderco.
I carried a ZT 0200 from 2004 up until about a year ago. Replaced by a Benchmade Griptilian.
Edit: I just realized that the older I get the smaller the knives get. Bummer.

Last edited:
About ten years ago i wasn't into collecting at all. I had a BM Griptillian with combo drop point blade that i bought about two years prior and that was my pocket knife... period. That was it. I had already bought the nicest knife i could imagine buying, and I was happy even though I had spent like $80-90 on a knife, which was "stupid money." Either way, I had the best of the best and that search was done. I had a BM griptilian, a USMC Kabar, and a Cold Steel Kukri machete. What more could anyone want?

Fast forward, and right around 2014 i realized that my outdoor knife needs were lacking and I started getting a bit deeper into buying knives. Started with a BK16... then Moras... i realized I needed more folders so the Spydercos started piling up...

Frankly, I kinda wish I had stayed blissfully ignorant. The knowledge I have acquired is worth more than the blades I have acquired. I realize now just how much I actually could have done with the combo of a sturdy folder, a Kabar, and a kukris styled machete. It was my skill set that was lacking. Now I have more apt tools, but I think if I went back to my original trio, I'd be much better prepared than I used to be with the same tools.

Mine was a Delica 4 PE that is still in the rotation, the oldest knife in my collection, although not the first. That was a D3 SE, my first dedicated blade, that I got a few years earlier. Until then, I was much more into multi-tools, couldn’t see the value of carrying only a knife when in the same pocketable unit, I could also have a variety of tools. But then I rethought the matter, and now I have several pocket knives of different makes. One hand opening (spydiehole) is what sold me. So useful. I’d like to pick up an ffg D4 some day, but it’s not a priority.

1o years ago? My first nice knife. A Chris Reeve Sm Sebenza. bird's eye maple and S30. I still have it and still love it. Its a user also as the blade is scratched up.

Benchmade 520 and 525-----I still carry those with a little PM2 thrown in

My last few purchases have been a Kershaw Blur---2 Buck Mesa's --a Buck Reaper -----all from Walmart---still haven't carried the Blur---the fixed blades will do nicely for my summer trips-----also picked up a Mora too

In 2007, --

- my EDC folders were 1st generation Buck 424s and a vintage Kabar 1121 Rigging Knife,
- my EDC fixed blades were a pair of Kabar 3/4 Utilities (Shorties), model 125x leather handled.
- my workhorse farm blades were Western W49s, Kabar 1217s and Ontario machetes

In 2017, --

- my EDC folders are newer Buck 424s, a Buck 501 and the same Kabar 1121 Rigging Knife.
- my EDC fixed blades are a Kabar Becker K&T BK11, a pair of Kabar 3/4 Utilities (Shorties) model 125x, but I've switched to the Kraton handled versions.
- my workhorse farm blades are the same Kabar 1217s and Ontario Machetes, but I've added Kabar Becker K&T BK9s, BK7s, and BK20.

If it ain't broke, I don't fix it. Might tweak it a bit, but I don't go hog wild nuts changing things.

Ten (even twenty) years ago would have been Buck, SOG and CRKT. Mainly CRKT. Oh, I also hated Spyderco and traditional knives.
Now it's Benchmade and Kershaw. Mainly Benchmade. I can now appreciate Spyderco products for what they are and I carry a traditional pocket knife from time to time.

....The knowledge I have acquired is worth more than the blades I have acquired. I realize now just how much I actually could have done with the combo of a sturdy folder, a Kabar, and a kukris styled machete. It was my skill set that was lacking. Now I have more apt tools, but I think if I went back to my original trio, I'd be much better prepared than I used to be with the same tools.

Yes, That is probably true for many of us. No question my skill set was lacking ten years ago. Still is in some ways but it is better than ten/twenty years ago. If I just had today's skill set back when I was in the service....

The same as today: Busse and CRK. If twelve years ago, then add in Benchmade.

I've noticed that my taste and personal preference in knives has gone from favoring smaller folders to prefering larger ones. It used to be a Spyderco Native or BM 707. Now it's an Umnumzaan and a Spyderco Military (I absolutely love the 204P Military I just got).

I've also steadily gravitated toward frame locks. They are probably my favorite lock mech. Although , I just got my first liner lock and I'm thrilled and impressed with it's solid and secure lock up. That nice "Thwack" immediately inspires confidence.

Wonder what I'll be carrying in another ten years.

I was into the Case Classics! I had quite a few at the time, I have changed directions more than my shorts. Today it has come all the way back to where I started from Original Traditional Folders with a lot of years on them. Still dabble with some others though

10 years ago, Automatic. MT UT6

Now, Automatic. Hubertus Camper which I owned years before buying any MT

Ten years ago, I had a fistful of Opinels and a fistful of SAKs, one Wenger and the rest Victorinox. I had a Vic Mauser GAK, a Tapio Wirkkala puukko and a couple of Anzas. I rarely carried a knife; I stashed them on various motorbikes for touring/camping purposes. If I did carry a knife, it was a small Anza fixed blade that I dropped in a pocket in its sheath.

Then my wife gave me a USMC Kabar for Xmas. A lot of guys I toured with used one in camp and I thought it was a pretty good camping knife. Except for a little yard work, however, it has gone pretty much unused. But it started me on buying knives. Most are modest, nothing over $120 and a lot of Euro blue collar knives for under $20.

I can see spending $400 or more for a knife, but I am not about to do it. I am retired, on a limited income, and $400 will buy a set of tires, a chain and sprockets for one of my bikes.

"It's funny how our tastes and preferences change with time and experience.
A lot of new knife designs , companies and steels have emerged over the last decade."

That's for sure !

This is what I was EDCing way back then. Boy . . . hahaha pretty tame huh . . .

Now ?

I'm sportin' this sweet piece of kit !

:p
Oh and I still use the sandwich goop spreader and have since around the year 0 or so.

Of course it’s day time now,

(looks like I need to wax the handle again)

. . . well . . . it hasn’t been a full ten years since I got the first knife . . . actually . . .
having this personal "condition" that I do I tend to loose track of time a little bit. For certain details . . . you understand. Well maybe you don't.

Last edited:
" . . . a lot of Euro blue collar knives for under $20."

Henry,

I would like to see those. Will you post a link to a photo of them or start a thread to show them off ?

Back