Which Loctite to Use?

Hi. I know a lot of people use blue Loctite to keep screws securely in place. I've seen the stick version used by a few reviewers on the web. Do you use it? Which one do you use?
Blue Loctite. Spyderco included a tube in the package the last time they sent me some pocket clip screws.

I uses blue 242 on knives and specially on balisongs that you flip. Without it the pivot screws will eventually back themselves out and possibly get lost.

Even when using it you have to pay attention to how much wear the pivots get from flipping, will depend how often you need to apply new loctite.

I've never tried purple. It sounds too soft.

If I use any I use purple and I use this here. 20191124_114051.jpg
But I take care of my knives so If they are backing out I just take a torx tool out of my back pack and tighten it up a bit. This work just fine. No need to lock it up with the blue. It's not on motor or have vibrations running throw it. It's just from opening and closing. The purple works great for knives.

I've been using the Permatex blue. It's medium for 1/4"-1" fasteners but it works just the same on smaller sizes. Once again, only on pivots that tend to back out. I did buy the blue Loctite stick, haven't used it yet though. Of course there is the Loctite 222 vs 242 discussion. I've heard this from other websites...

"222 is removable with hand tools on 1/4" and smaller fasteners, 242 is hand tool removable on 1/4" to 3/4". If your fastener is 1/4" you are good with either."

"IMO, the major difference between 222 and 242 is the breaking point. 222 has almost no breaking strength. You just feel tight or cross-threaded bolt feel from start to finish. On the other hand, 242 has the "pop" when the compound releases the bolt."

If you're using stainless or Ti fasteners, you should be using either 243, or using primer with 242. 242 requires a reactive metal surface to function properly.

( EDIT: i've bought it, unsealed the tip dispenser, and applied the purple stuff on the T9 pivot screw of my eol Enlan. the stuff is as liquid as water wtf, very very low viscosity, "10ml = 11g" i'm shook! i'll let it cure for 2 days np. then i'll try to disassemble the pivot screw again. btw when i disassembled the pivot screw i could tell that there was purple (well, at least not blue or red!) cr*p in the female and male threadings. apparently the Enlan factory uses screw fastening substance too! i'll report back again in a few days. btw the dealer had all kinds of loctite, e.g. the blue stick. )
"IMO, the major difference between 222 and 242 is the breaking point. 222 has almost no breaking strength. You just feel tight or cross-threaded bolt feel from start to finish. On the other hand, 242 has the "pop" when the compound releases the bolt."
i let it cure since then, several days. I had used like 2 full drops (because it drops out like water!) and i can confirm that the substance had cured. So i disassembled the pivot screw. And?

Imho it was way too easy to unscrew the screw. There was no "pop", there was almost no breaking strength. And i didn't even feel tight from start to finish, just a little, not even noteworthy. From my experience so far, this product has been disappointing. Too liquid/fluid, no notable breaking strength, waste of money. It'd be better to simply use 1$ nail polish and be done with it. I'll continue using it (instead of nail polish) since i bought it, but if i could turn back the clock, i would have bought the blue stick instead.

@NickShabazz uses the blue stick in his latest disassembly videos iirc. Spyderco uses the blue loctite too. Chris Reeve uses the purple loctite. One can forget about the red and the green loctites.

I haven't tried the blue loctite .. but i am disappointed with the purple loctite (so far).

Last edited:
Back