Recommendation? Which multitool?

Good morning,
havn't been here for a while.
I am looking for a new multitool, and though I really like Victorinox their tools do not offer what I am looking for.
So, could you help me finding the right tool?
Specs, I would like to see on that tool:
-large blade (serrated would be fine), one hand opening is a must for the blade
-scissors
-pliers (with wire cutter, ideally with replaceable blades)
-awl
-saw
- screwdrivers
- file
- black anodized or gun blued would be nice, but isn't a must

Any suggestions and first hand experience?

Not sure, but I think a leatherman Surge is the only thing that hits all those boxes, although you have to have either saw or file, as it is an exchanger system. They are available in oxide black as well. take a look, see what you think.

The one-handed opening blade is a good feature to have, but it really limits your options. Leatherman Wave, Charge (almost identical to the Wave), and Surge come to mind. Only the Surge has replaceable cutters, but the Surge is a big, heavy MT at around 12 ounces. So if you can give up the replaceable cutters, the Wave may rise to the top. Its Leatherman's top seller.

I can think of some, similar tools with saw, OHO blade, scissors, NN pliers, drivers and file

- LM Wave
- LM Surge
- LM Charge
- Gerber MP800
- Gerber MP700
- Gerber Strata

not much more to choose from. Then you have all these quality and reliable models, but you lose at least one of your "need" with each:

- LM OHT (minus scissors and file)
- Gerber Center Drive (minus scissors and saw)
- Gerber Pro Scout (minus OHO blade)
- Swisstool (minus OHO blade)
- Spirit (minus OHO blade)
- Gerber MP1 (minus saw, file and scissors)
- Gerber Diesel (minus OHO blade)
- LM ST300 (minus OHO blade and scissors)
- LM Rebar (minus OHO blade and scissors)
- SOG Powerlock (minus OHO blade)

My wave's setup pretty much like what you're talking about. I just put the jaws from my rebar on it and reground the flathead on it into an awl. Tried putting in the awl from my rebar, but it wouldn't fit.

1. taskunuga-victorinox-soldier.jpg
  2. 2_enl.jpg

Thanks for your replies. I went to a local store taking a look at the LM Wave. However, the quality wasn't really convincing. The the jaws of the pliers were a quite a bit off (about 1mm).
They did not have another one on stock. Was it a lemon, or are there QC issues with Leatherman?

You won't be getting rolex fit and finish with a leatherman, but you will get a very durable tool. While that one might have been on the outside edge of the allowable tolerances, it would still be fully functional.

A multitool blade is never really as useable as an actual knife, so why not forget about the oho blade and carry a dedicated knife ?

Back