Recommendation? Which one first?

Which one?

• Freak

• Bug Out

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am looking at the Freek and the Bugout. Very similar knives in many respects. I don't have any problems with S30V, I have used it a lot in the last 10+ years (despite the random drama queens that hate it) and no issues at all. So, which one would you buy first? I like them both. Help me pick one.

I'm gonna get a Bugout, I think, when I get a chance to handle one. I like a lot about it, including the blue handle and light weight.

I used to think I didn't care much about knife weight until I went elk hunting. Now, I consider everything I take very carefully, as I am an out of shape flatlander. I would like to take a pocket knife in addition to my belt knife on those hunts, and the Bugout just might fill the bill.

I am looking at the Freek and the Bugout. Very similar knives in many respects. I don't have any problems with S30V, I have used it a lot in the last 10+ years (despite the random drama queens that hate it) and no issues at all. So, which one would you buy first? I like them both. Help me pick one.

I can see the similarities. I guess it depends if your looking for a lighter, thinner, easier in the pocket knife or a larger more robust and heavier folder.

I like the concept of the 535 quite a bit.

Rev I bought freek last week and love it man it's a great knife. The bugout looks great and I plan on getting one but having the freek in hand would be my first choice.

If I had to choose, I'd grab the bugout first. To me it just seems a little bit more exciting than the freek. Things it has going for it vs the Freek for me are: it's super lightweight, relatively small and compact, and also a nice bright blue; I'm all for blacks, greys, and other muted/less vibrant tones on my knives, but sometimes some colour is nice (yet another reason why I love my blurple milie so much)! My vote goes towards the 535 Bugout. Also, RevDevil RevDevil maybe start a poll on the matter?

If you are going to do any serious frequent use with the knife I would go with the Freek. The handle is really comfy and grippy. If you want something super lightweight that doesnt take up much space in the pocket with a little splash of color go with the Bugout.

I bought the Freek as a gift for a friend looking for a combo edge folder. Snapped a few comparison pics before wrapping it up. Reallyenjoyed the blade-heavy balance. Haven't handled the Bugout yet but that looks way lighter duty than the Freek.

Pics when you decide!

IMG_5462.JPG IMG_5463.JPG IMG_5466.JPG

Well Rev,
I have both and I personally find the Bugout far more interesting than the Freak.
The scales, the color, the thinness, the DLCed Titanium axis bar and the new stubby clip all had me wanting to check it out.
The Freak is OK, however if you have had full size Ritters in the past, they are quite similar (aside from the new handle).

Yeah come to think of it, the Freek blade does look alot like the Ritter Grip's blade.

I honestly had not noticed that.

Freek. I have one and my only complaint is the partial liners. It just give a weird feel when testing for blade play and use.

I've had both models, and I'd say get the Bugout first. I really like it, and it has so much going for it if you like slim, lightweight folders. I've been using mine in the yard and for breaking down cardboard boxes. It's really a nice slicer with that thin blade stock. I don't notice any flex, it's perfect for normal cutting tasks.

IMG_2383.JPG

Man money is tight these days but the Bugout (should have called it the ThuHike but I digress) is a mix of two of my favorite BMs.
The Ritter Griptilian and the 530. Two knives I have owned for over 10 years. Just lost a 531 and it hurt but oh well. Would like a black handle but I like the 535, especially if it has the same knotch in the tang as the 530/531 that the axis bar locks into to keep it closed and pushes out a bit to open if you pull back the axis bar. Need to count my pennies.

IIRC I paid a good 30% more than current prices to get my Boost soon after it was released. I love the Boost, but if I were to do it again, I would have waited the one or two months for prices to normalize. IMO, get the Freek now, and the Bugout in a month or two. Then you will have two great knives!

Voted Bugout. It's going to be my first Benchmade - thanks to this thread. Looks like a easy carry, light EDC. Pure function with a little Blue bling. Love it

I don't have either but I would pick the Freek of the Bugout it just seems like a better user and I'm a user first collector second. The Freek has a larger blade and better grips/ergonomics from what I can see and according to BM specs it is a slightly thinner blade stock so might make for a marginally better slicer.

Wow, the votes are tied, or were until I voted Freak. lol! It's a nice problem to have is all I can say.

Back