Which One Would You Get for EDC

Which One Would You Get for EDC

• Total voters
One of my former hunting buddies (Vietnam Vet who moved to Texas a few years back) has a Buck 102 he purchased in the 1960’s - it has been his deer hunting knife ever since. He carried it in a unique way; on his belt with the flap sheath tucked down in his back pocket. I always thought that was a neat way to carry a short knife - been meaning to try it sometime but never have (the 102 is a bit small for my preference for a deer knife). OH

I have went back and read this many times and finally decided to try it.
I have had my 117 on my belt/ in my back pocket since..... I'm really sorta digging this idea.
I can still sit down with out the knife hitting anything. Plus the sheath isn't hanging out there getting hung up on things.

Thanks for sharing this OH!:thumbsup:
This could cause me to carry my small fixed blades more often.:D

I have went back and read this many times and finally decided to try it.
I have had my 117 on my belt/ in my back pocket since..... I'm really sorta digging this idea.
I can still sit down with out the knife hitting anything. Plus the sheath isn't hanging out there getting hung up on things.

Thanks for sharing this OH!:thumbsup:
This could cause me to carry my small fixed blades more often.:D

That is very cool! I will have to try it with my Buck 118 in the flap sheath next time I hunt. OH

I’ve seen one of my brothers buddies field dress a deer with his large case trapper 3” blade. He had to resharpen it a few times with a hone steel but it worked and he got it done well enough. I think I’d rather have a bit more handle to grasp like a 112 or a 110. I’ve used a 110 more than any other knife for deer and other medium and large sized game. I prefer a 3.5 to 4 inch blade and they work great. I haven’t tried but a 112 would probably work just as well. But for butchering and processing the meat cuts I want more knife.

Are you saying, he carries the knife in his back pocket with the sheath flap open?
For me a 4" is enough knife,To field dress (gut) a buck. To quarter I like a 6" blade and I prefer it to have some flex. I have read that some guys use a 112. DM

David, the old saying, ‘a picture is worth a thousand words’. I just took this photo with my Buck 102 in old style flap-over sheath in my back pocket the way my buddy Doug always carried his 102. I just sat down with it on like this and tried it - you don’t even know its there - I think old Doug had a great idea! OH
Ps. Sheath flap is snapped shut.

Buck-102-in-back-pocket.jpg

I’ve been carrying my 102 for a week now and don’t really notice it’s there except when I get it out to use.

Thanks for the photo.When you said the sheath flap was in his back pocket. That made me scratch my head. Excuse me for not getting it. DM
David, I spend a decent amount of time scratching my head too! It is difficult to describe something sometimes, I should have taken a picture the first time. I know this, I’m going to try Dougs carry method this season - don’t know why I’ve waited ten years to try it!! OH

Been carrying the 102 waiting on a custom sheath for it and the 105. I like it a lot small and light but I don’t like the snap sheath for such a small knife. Grabbed the 117 from Amazon and the 212 and 118 came in from C&C. I also got a 119 from Wally’s last week because they had it in the case but it seems a little big for a EDC. Not a bad one week haul now I have some different ones to play with

Back