Which one would you replace immediately if lost?

Honest answer right now, I don't know if I would replace my current choices. It's an interesting thought. I'm very happy currently with what I have but if I had to start again from scratch would I come to the same conclusions? Hmm.

For a lot of us, the question really becomes which knife do you already have a back up for....

Resurrecting this thread because yesterday, I got my answer to my own original question.

My family talked me into going to a Renaissance Faire yesterday (yeah... I know... I had to wash the nerd off with a good shower and lava soap when I got home) in Tuxedo NY. I cut something with my Kershaw Link, 420HC with blue scales and black blade, and set it down on top of the car for a minute because I had my hands full with kids around and and couldn't safely put it in my pocket. Of course, before I then retrieved it, I got distracted because... kids. Drove off and by the time I realized it, we were 45 minutes away and the knife was no longer on the roof.

I got home and very first thing I did was order a replacement. It wasn't a particularly expensive knife, so I'm not kicking myself about it, and it wasn't exactly painful to re-order it. It's just a great utility knife and I love the feel of it, and didn't want to be without it.

... My family talked me into going to a Renaissance Faire yesterday (yeah... I know... I had to wash the nerd off with a good shower and lava soap when I got home) in Tuxedo NY. I cut something with my Kershaw Link, 420HC with blue scales and black blade, and set it down on top of the car for a minute because I had my hands full with kids around and and couldn't safely put it in my pocket. Of course, before I then retrieved it, I got distracted because... kids. Drove off and by the time I realized it, we were 45 minutes away and the knife was no longer on the roof.

I got home and very first thing I did was order a replacement. It wasn't a particularly expensive knife, so I'm not kicking myself about it, and it wasn't exactly painful to re-order it. It's just a great utility knife and I love the feel of it, and didn't want to be without it.

I’ve been to that faire and it was pretty corny but the food was good, the drink plenty and I was able to pick up a classic flint and steel along with some char to start a fire with. Also had a blast throwin’ axes. Do they still have the trials and the dunkings? The wenches wandering around with the big tankards of grog? Yea now that I think about it it was fun.

I did something similar except it might have been a custom Crawford folder and a SS Damascus gentleman ‘s folder from Masserin. They were in my wallet and I didn’t find out they were missing till 3 days later.

Somebody got real lucky that day. The knives were in my wallet with my licenses for driving, CCW permit and enough ID a blind man coulda returned the knives.

They coulda kept the cash and then returned the wallet and knives. I’m sure they didn’t even have any idea of what they found and unfortunately I couldn’t afford to go right out and replace them, still haven’t.

Yep, the hazards of carryin’ expensive pocket knives.

Missed this thread the first time around, so I'll add to it.

Really didn't like the look of the Bestech Goblin at first, but after carrying it all summer, It would be replaced IMMEDIATELY if lost. What a useful little EDC knife!

Bestech.jpg

I've been using a Fiddleback Forge Bushfinger (production) as my kitchen knife for probably 2 years. For some reason it makes sense for me, and I've really come to love that knife. I'd replace it first.

Otherwise, honestly I enjoy buying and selling too much, that I'm not sure I'd replace anything, but see it as an opportunity to try new stuff. Well, except Leathermans.

I'd replace my VG-10 Endura ASAP if lost. Thank God that I have a back up!!

If truly lost (not just misplaced), I’d have another Benchmade Bugout ordered within five minutes.

I gotta say the Spyderco millie. (Assuming both go missing:D) Its a good design for a wide range of things from work to hiking to the kitchen. It just wouldn’t feel right without sliding one in the pocket before heading out for an adventure.

For me I guess it would all depend on availability. I too love all of my knives (currently around 50). If I didn’t they would have already been sold to help acquire a new acquisition. But many of them are either discontinued or very hard to find in their specific variation. So I guess the first one I’d replace would have to be the rarest one I could actually find at that time.

My Vic Explorer.

Also my Leatherman Micra.

I've got a Craftsman folding utility knife that cost something like $4 a decade ago. It's comfortable to pocket and easy to use with or without gloves. It's doubtful that they still sell them, but if I lost it, I'd look for something like it.

I have too many knives, I could easily replace one with an adequate substitute. However, I only have one Leatherman Wave, its my constant companion. If lost I would have to replace it immediately.

Back