EDChef Pass Around Thread

Pass around should be:

• EDChef

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Prevail

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Barax

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Something different/new (and please explain in a post, thanks!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Anyone who might be interested in participating in a pass around, with the requirement to ship to the next person in line at your expense, which design would most entice you to do so? Or do we come up with something similar, or even a completely new design? Either way, I think I would like to try my first Bladeforums pass around. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

I already own one (and have gifted 3), but I think the EDChef is perhaps your flagship model. The problem is I think the first person in the pass around won't want to pass it along...

Hey Mr. Willie, I am sure the folks who get involved here can overcome such urges, at least until the pass around is complete! ;)

J, do you mean similar design and size range, those designs because they are MagnaCut, or both points?

Only a few smaller MagnaCut blades, of a more EDC size left, and yet to be ground. The rest is out the door. But I could do a MagnaCut blade. I was also thinking of keeping it simple and going with 8670 so that it showcases the design more than drawing focus to the steel. But I am open to seeing where this discussion leads us.

I did vote by the way, just so as to show me the result without having to click an extra time, every time. My vote was the Prevail.

Hey Mr. Willie, I am sure the folks who get involved here can overcome such urges, at least until the pass around is complete! ;)
Oh I have no doubt there. I was only kidding. Next big question here... What steel would you use?

Still open on that.

David I put my vote in for Prevail because its one of the models I have yet to try out. You do such nice work 8670 I believe it gives an idea of what the knife will do and if someone wants to improve that performance, magnacut is an option.

J, do you mean similar design and size range, those designs because they are MagnaCut, or both points?

Only a few smaller MagnaCut blades, of a more EDC size left, and yet to be ground. The rest is out the door. But I could do a MagnaCut blade. I was also thinking of keeping it simple and going with 8670 so that it showcases the design more than drawing focus to the steel. But I am open to seeing where this discussion leads us.
Mainly the design/size

I don't think my vote should get to be a tie breaker, so it's looking like EDChef is pulling ahead, as perhaps it was destined to?

And what kind of handle? Twill CF? Linen Micarta with contrasting liners and spacers? Layered G10 with a textured pattern? Smooth wood scales? Some combination thereof?

Out of those listed I my vote is going to go to the Barax. My wife has the EDC Chef's knife so I can use that anytime. The Prevail doesn't really interest me at this time. I love a good machete and I own several that I could test along with the Barax to see how it stacks up in performance.

I don't think my vote should get to be a tie breaker, so it's looking like EDChef is pulling ahead, as perhaps it was destined to?

And what kind of handle? Twill CF? Linen Micarta with contrasting liners and spacers? Layered G10 with a textured pattern? Smooth wood scales? Some combination thereof?
David, with all the blades of late I’ve noticed that you have been challenging yourself with different types of handles. This gives you an opportunity to try something totally different. Maybe bolster one side, solid handle other? Or go for broke and use some bone or stag?

I think I would have voted for the EDCef, but I've been fortunate enough to aquire 2 EDChef's. Still, the model would be a good pass around option, too.

Most of my fixed blades get used in the kitchen. From the few pictures I’ve seen your EDChef looks amazing.

I recently decided to vote for the Barax.

I already know I want to own the edchef at some point. So I don't need to see it.

I love big choppers, and I'm curious about it's handle shape/size.
I have lots of branches, stumps, etc. To Beat on. :)

I vote for your deep grooved handle scales that you do.
I'm curious about hot spots.
With a big chopper, it will show if they are comfortable pretty quickly.

Thank you.

Looks like it will be the EDChef after all. I will start on it today or tomorrow. Everyone who is in on the pass around, please post here with "I'm in", and then send me a PM or email with your address. Thanks!!

Back