Which Rockstead folder for heavy use?

Hello everyone, I'm new here. I'm planning a long term cycle-camping trip and I want to kit myself out with a Rockstead folder. It will get some marks and scratches but I have to have a Rockstead, no ifs or buts. I won't wreck it with batoning but it will get daily use and I'll send it back to Japan for sharpening when necessary. I'd prefer one of the larger ones, 8.5 or 9 cm, which narrows the choice down a little. What I need help with is understanding the big price differences between similar sized models. Is it to do with the type of steel, or whether the blade is laminated, or the workmanship in the handle, or what? For example, how come this Shin https://www.rockstead.jp/collection/detail.html?id=111&category=knife is not much more than half the price of this Tei? https://www.rockstead.jp/collection/detail.html?id=113&category=knife I'm not an expert so I have no idea what the relative merits are of YXR7 vs ZDP 189 and so on. Aesthetically I'm drawn to this Sai Tanto https://www.rockstead.jp/collection/detail.html?id=311&category=knife but I shouldn't buy something I don't understand just because it looks pretty.

Edit: sorry about the links to a dealer in my first edit. I hope the links to rockstead.jp are acceptable.

Last edited:
The Aflac Duck The Aflac Duck has a rockstead or 2.
I know for a fact one has been used Very hard and it has held up great.

I would love to purchase a rockstead. But sadly it's out of my price range at the moment.
I saw a few prototypes at bladeshow, that I definitely will save for.

As far as I know the YXR7 is a high speed tool steel with excellent wear resistance and edge holding and can reach high hardness. This likely will increase prices on some models.

My vote would be for the Shu (reviewed) or...
l2PtSwz.jpg

the Higo II with a titanium handle
timthumb.php

According to a discussion I had during a CICAC blade show with Mr Hiroshi Hanada, it's better to select the YXR7 steel if you want to use your knife hard. The ZDP-189 steel is a little bit chippy (but more wear resistant).
I never had problems with my Shin in YXR7.

My vote would be for the Shu or...
the Higo II with a titanium handle

Thanks. What is it about those two which makes them superior? The descriptions at rockstead.jp and on the dealer sites make each knife sound equally wonderful, or the best in the world. But how do they compare with each other in the real world?

According to a discussion I had during a CICAC blade show with Mr Hiroshi Hanada, it's better to select the YXR7 steel if you want to use your knife hard. The ZDP-189 steel is a little bit chippy (but more wear resistant).
I never had problems with my Shin in YXR7.
Thanks Patrick, I enjoyed your review a great deal. You mentioned that YXR-7 is, according to Mr Hanada, more shock resistant than ZDP-189. In what sort of situation might a ZDP-189 blade be chipped?

The Shin is much less expensive than other Rockstead folders of a similar size. Is that because the blade or the handle take less time to manufacture? Or could it be the cost of the raw materials?

I have some Rocksteads and have used them a lot. That said, I have no idea why you MUST have one for a camping trip for no reason other than to say you camped with a Rockstead (which is stupid).

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose.

I could argue that it's the obvious choice for cycle-camping, when every gram counts, because you don't need to pack a sharpener!

Thanks. What is it about those two which makes them superior? The descriptions at rockstead.jp and on the dealer sites make each knife sound equally wonderful, or the best in the world. But how do they compare with each other in the real world?
I picked those two models because I have the first one and love it and when they–I hope–release the HizenII I will buy it first chance I get because a smaller Rockstead is something I have been looking forward to.

That said, I would be hesitant to use my Shu camping as ZDP189 is not a stainless steel and I noticed minor rust forming in some of the micro-scratches on the cutting surface of the blade. It came off with a little CLP. I don't know if the other steel commonly found on Rockstead is stainless or not.
I suppose this negates my previous recommendation for the Shu as a camping knife but it's become my go to knife for everyday use.. I know there are some Rockstead models offered in VG10 clad ZDP189 but I can't remember which models. It's not a Rockstead but if I were to go camping and were only able to bring a folding knife I'd opt for my Shirogorov F3R: Contoured handles, longer blade in good all-around steel.

When you camp you f-up and you can lose stuff. A bird and trout fixed blade and the Swiss Army knife of your choice is the Boy Scout way.

I could argue that it's the obvious choice for cycle-camping, when every gram counts, because you don't need to pack a sharpener!
Native 5 LW with Maxamet. PM me for my PayPal to send my commission to :)

In what sort of situation might a ZDP-189 blade be chipped

I don't know exactly. I've seen Mr Hanada doing demo of YXR-7 impacting bamboo but never saw the same demo with ZDP-189. Perhaps it's chippy just because they heat treat the ZDP-189 steel to a really high Rockwell hardness number?

The Shin is much less expensive than other Rockstead folders of a similar size. Is that because the blade or the handle take less time to manufacture? Or could it be the cost of the raw materials?

I never fully understood the price difference between the Rockstead models. The Shin is an old model so perhaps it's less expensive because of that? The Higo is also less expensive than most of other models.

Back