Which SAK for kit

jideta

Gold Member
DSC_3147.jpg

Ferro with a Ranger.
What am I missing?
I usually carry a Super Tinker but thought a Ranger would be good choice to pair with a ferro and keep in the car. Don't want or need too much stuff aka Champ...
What say the pros?

Far from a pro here, but perhaps consider a farmer to pair with the ferrocerium rod. That way you have a saw, and if you have a rope, you could conceivably put together a flip flop winch... Which might save you from having to use the ferro rod because then you wouldn't be stranded. I know I'm really stretching it there, but I can't help myself sometimes. ;)

View attachment 1440242

Ferro with a Ranger.
What am I missing?
I usually carry a Super Tinker but thought a Ranger would be good choice to pair with a ferro and keep in the car. Don't want or need too much stuff aka Champ...
What say the pros?

I think the Ranger is a really nice choice with the Ferro. The saw back is perfect for scrapping the ferro rod and sawing up to limb size wood. The openers and blades layers are standard on almost all 91mm. The metal file/saw is one of the favorite, it really is a useful tool for urban setting and an unsung hero of 91mm tools. And 91mm scissors is the industry standard. I wouldn't change a thing unless you want to downsize to something lighter.

I would choose the Trekker since it is not carried much and there mostly for emergencies. I like having the saw blade available even though I don't use it often. The Trekker is my hiking knife (in bag). I don't like to carry a SAK with the saw blade as an edc. However having one with two blades would be potentially useful with "what if's".

.....Trekker is too big; trying to stay medium size,
Camper was good to go then it led me to Hiker.
Hiker on the way!
That's why I carry it in a carry bag afield. Big knife for bigger cuts. In the woods, the potential for bigger cuts is real. Plus you did say it is for your car kit.

image.jpeg I have a MiniChamp with a FerroCerium rod in the handle. I am not totally happy with this setup because the rod is prone to corrosion when exposed to moisture. Also, the blades on the SAK are not particularly hard (for use as a striker).
I have a starter set in which the rod is enclosed in a Titanium case with an O-ring seal. The original striker in the cap was 440-C stainless which had a high Carbon, high HRC composition and heat treat. However, the performance was lackluster, and the striker was replaced with a Tungsten Carbide model at 72HRC. The shower of sparks increased dramatically.
So SAK fire toys are not at the top of my list, but other tools work just fine.

Back