which sheath lacing do you guys prefer???

trying to order my first sheath materials and didnt know if their was a preferred lacing material?

or mostly whatever you like better with your chosen leather?

im going with a dark brown Skirting leather from wickett and craigs if that matters any

ooo

I like waxed thread, usually in black or dark brown, seems to help seal the holes up.

I prefer unicorn intestines, but when I can't get that I fall back to waxed thread.

I prefer unicorn intestines, but when I can't get that I fall back to waxed thread.

What about fairy hair?

I've made one sheath and I used abs plastic, then wrapped it in paracord. You know, for that tactical survivalist hunter part of me.

waxed thread is best for sure. i would suggest that you use vegetable tanned leather for the sheath, many of the other leathers, oil tanned / chrome tanned contain something in the tanning agent that promotes rust on HC steels. the veg tanned doesn't.

You've picked good leather with your Wickett and Craig, some of the best, if not the best. 8/9 oz is about the right weight for a sheath. Go with wax thread if you are hand sewing. I do A LOT of leatherwork. Feel free to email if ya need any help or ideas.

Last edited:
Back