Which Shirogorov For You? A Novice Reviewer's Review for Knife Junkies

Hey all, wrote up this review for picking a Shirogorov if you've been on the fence about one. I picked the 111, F95T and neon-lite. I know there are more models but I felt like this covered the size range you'd typically be picking from (small, medium, large). Enjoy, let me know what you'd like to see more of. I own 2 of the 3 and many other high end EDCs so if you'd like to see something specific in the future, let me know! This is not a brand comparison of other flippers, this is for helping you decide which sized model you might want, enjoy!

Shirogorov Knives Reviews

Pictures HERE: https://imgur.com/a/j9TZY

Videos HERE:

111: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPxCb4DbSF/
F95T: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPxKdCjNeS/
Neon Lite: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaPxPFbDCVu/

Overview

Blade: M390
Handle: Titanium
Weight: 5.2oz
Overall Length: 9.75”
Blade Length: 4.25” full flat grind blade
Closed Length: 5.625”
Thickness: 0.57”
Blade Thickness: 0.157”
Bearings: MRBS
Lock type: Liner lock
Price: $1195

F95T

Weight: 4.4oz
Overall Length: 8.75”
Blade Length: 3.875” full flat grind blade
Closed Length: 5”
Thickness: 0.48”
Blade Thickness: 0.153”
Lock Type: Frame Lock
Price: $1275

Neon LIte

Weight: 3.1oz
Overall Length: 7.5”
Blade Length: 3.25” full flat grind blade
Closed Length: 4.25”
Thickness: 0.40”
Blade Thickness: 0.137”
Lock Type: Frame Lock
Price: $775

Blade Deployment and Lockup

The Shirogorov 111 is the largest in the company’s lineup and possibly the hardest flipping of them all. The tab is notched with enough purchase for easy engagement with the index, middle, ring or even thumb (like using a lighter) if you want. A flipper tab knife should have smooth, fast deployment. On the premium side of the knife market you expect to have a knife that will make you smile with each “kachunk” as it locks up. In my humble opinion the 111 does that job perfectly. Its massive 4.25” blade flies out with ease and the satisfying sound of the liner lock engaging as the blade hits the stop will make the biggest flipper snob cheese. Lockup is early (like most Shirogorov I’ve encountered) at about 25% and rock solid. My one issue is that if your pivot loosens a hair turn past perfect tightness, the carbon fiber can cause a spongey side to side movement feel. This is easily fixed with some fine tuning and locktite on the pivot. Overall due to the potential for the user to need to make minor corrections for perfect action and lockup, I give it a grade of A-

F95T

The F95T edges out the 111 in “quickness” on deployment by just a hair. In the example I have the detent ball is slightly less firm than the 111 and requires a little less pressure to break open. I prefer a little more resistance prior to the knife opening however in the 95 it is certainly not a knock against it. The blade still deploys with authority and an even earlier lockup at approximately 15%. I tried to close the knife against the frame lock with no success so the early lockup should cause no concern. All 3 knives I have in for review are MRBS (Multi Row Bearing System) setups and exceptionally smooth. I probably need to clean this one up a bit to get that smooth guillotine drop shut action but it is still exceptional in terms of bearing flipper smoothness. Overall I still grade this model with an A in action and lockup

Neon Lite

Just because it is the smallest in the lineup (with the Neon Ultra-Lite being the lightest sans backspacer), does not mean it is a slouch in terms of flippability (yes, I made that word up). This small model flips with perfect action and feel and is extremely enjoyable. I know some say knives aren’t toys, but you could sit in front of the T.V. and fiddle with this thing all day. The full Ti frame and frame lock make for a level of sturdiness in a compact frame you don’t normally see. I give this model an A+ in this regard.

Ergonomics

I have XXL hands, meaning the extra large handle fits perfectly in mine. There’s TONS of real estate for grip and if you need to really bear down on a cutting task, you have the leverage to do so. The carbon fiber is expertly shaped and contoured, with no voids in the material that I could see and almost a micarta like texture, which is perfect for slippery cutting tasks (e.g. preparing fish). The balance centerpoint is just aft of the handle recurve which I like as it gives you a little more forward weight in the blade for harder cutting tasks. For me personally, I give it an A+ for ergonomics.

F95T

First, the “T” texture is OUTSTANDING. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing, the bead blast finish coupled with the subtle ridges make this model feel solid in the hand, regardless of any slimy crud you’ve managed to get on your palm. The balance point is perfectly centered in the handle and it works perfectly with the handle weight vs the blade. Lastly, in the specimen I have the blade has jimping added which adds an extra bit of comfort and grip for cutting tasks. All in all this knife gets an A+.

Neon Lite

Now… my biggest qualm with this model, is it’s SMALL… for me (again, XXL mits). Meaning to get it to flip with perfect feel I have to position it in my hand just right whereas the other 2 do not require special hand placement. Once open it’s probably right on the lower limit on what I can get a full grip on as far as pocket knife size goes. The balance is just right and the blade shape is up to any cutting task. I give it a B+ in this department (for ME).

Pocketability

In the Instagram link you can see how the 111 sits in the pocket. The long slender profile sits back against the seamline and leaves plenty of room to put your hand in your pocket without much interference. The clip isn’t the most “deep carry” clip I’ve used but it only leaves a slight nub poking out of the pocket. The clip is strong with little flex but can fit comfortably on jeans and other thicker material without bending out. It does make an authoritative clack when you do pull it off thicker pants though. For more docile settings (the office, restaurant, California…) no one would be the wiser that you have a nearly 10” cutting tool in your pocket, which is a BIG plus. Overall I give the 111 an A for pocketabiity due to its small blueprint for its size.

F95T

Coming in slimmer than the 111 and lighter this model slides in to the pocket and ALMOST disappears. The clip hugs the fabric nicely and does not catch or tear up your pants. It doesn’t feel like it grabs as tightly as the 111 but there’s no feeling of it falling out even in gym shorts. It sits at the same height as the 111 and I prefer it that way because it makes it easy to grab. Just for the slightly less comforting grip in the pants I give it an A-.

Neon Lite

Now this is where it earns its stripes, this knife is so compact and light it actually MELTS in to your pocket. It’s slender and smooth bodied so there’s no worry about it snagging on fabric or your hand as you reach for your wallet (I carry mine in my front pocket, them pick pockets!). I give the Neon LIte an A++ in terms of pocketability.

Conclusion

If your only criteria for a knife is how well it flips, pick a Shirogorov. In comparison to ZTs, Hinderer, Olamic, or any other brand out there with a flipper tab, I think the Shirogorov is unrivaled. Their company pretty much banks on this one opening mechanism (minus a few exceptions) and they have perfected the art. When you mix in daily cutting tasks, hand size and aesthetics, that’s where you should find the right model for you. I don’t really find there’s much of a difference in flipping action across the 3 different models, and I find the largest deciding factor in your next Shirogorov purchase should be purely based on appeal and your preferred blade length. For that reason my favorite is still the 111, HOWEVER the F95T and Neon Lite are only microscopically separated from that placing. If you love carbon fiber, the 111 (or even the Hati, not reviewed) are your choices. If you love full slabs of titanium, you won’t be disappointed with the other offerings. Going forward, pick what blade length you prefer, then your steel and possibly different scale design and hit “checkout.”

Thanks for reading,

Sid Ballard

@Ballard_Blades (IG)

Last edited:
Great write up and thanks for it. You can post pictures from Imgur as your link is not working for me.

Awesome write up. Thanks for putting the time in and showing us the features of each shiro. I have a 95T and it's just simply amazing. I do want to get a neon eventually. The Hati looks sweet too. But definitely a neon is in my future.

Thanks for the awesome review and pics. I really like that F95t for size and all around looks and function. I don't know if I could carry one though at that price being I lost a 500 dollar knife in the river and it was hard to deal with. I surely wouldn't want to lose a knife like one of these. Although I'd never carry a knife that expensive on the river again after all that. What do you think about the overall toughness of the MRBS?

Thanks for the awesome review and pics. I really like that F95t for size and all around looks and function. I don't know if I could carry one though at that price being I lost a 500 dollar knife in the river and it was hard to deal with. I surely wouldn't want to lose a knife like one of these. Although I'd never carry a knife that expensive on the river again after all that. What do you think about the overall toughness of the MRBS?
I'm working on an extended review of mrbs but so far, I've been carrying the 111 fairly regularly for a couple months now. In my pocket out in town and at work. I haven't noticed a significant decrease in performance over time and after the first month i broke it down for cleaning and it was really just a wipe down and good. The trick is not losing a bearing (They're not captured!). That would be my only concern and issue, you have to be in a controlled environment for cleaning less you want to lose a few. Other than the occasional piece of lint or dirt getting in there, which a quick rinse in the sink or blowing it out, I've really had no issues with mrbs yet! I'm by no means someone who can afford to just lose a knife like this, but the Shirogorov knives are built so well and in such a functional way you WANT to carry them. They don't feel like safe queens. Hope this helps!

I posted the images from the OP's link:
VFl008V.jpg
yvTf3CZ.jpg
pPgsTj9.jpg
F7HShlr.jpg
Tc4JN4g.jpg
rjtnCBZ.jpg
A2fFQ31.jpg
0AydPuU.jpg
DrLmFIb.jpg
dXBrmoT.jpg
rCq434K.jpg