Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

^ What he said. :cool: The scales have some nice contour. The Native 5 is a very sweet blade profile.

WyIK742.jpg

What angle is that military sharpened at?
I didn’t sharpen the military.
Just the kitchen knife in the clamps.
My guess would be about 17deg per side tho.
I’ve done pm2’s before, and 17deg was pretty close to factory.
I’ve put microbevels on militaries before, but never tried to reproduce the factory angle.
Take all this with a grain of salt tho, I’m no expert.

I think he asked because the bevel is pretty large and it looks like a pretty low angle.

9GQEbuo.jpg

That millie is 13dps and even on both sides. Look at them side by side and yours looks more oblique.
Ahhhh gotcha.
I’m pretty sure it from the factory like that.
I bought it off the exchange as lnib.
It seemed to be unused to me.
I’ll have to compare it to my rex45 milli to see how much different it is.

Ahhhh gotcha.
I’m pretty sure it from the factory like that.
I bought it off the exchange as lnib.
It seemed to be unused to me.
I’ll have to compare it to my rex45 milli to see how much different it is.
With Rusty - that looks like a pretty shallow angle. I'd guess 12. Given that you have a WE available I'd put some sharpie on the edge and see where it is. Could just be an illusion, but that doesn't look factory in that picture. Curious to know where it is.

With Rusty - that looks like a pretty shallow angle. I'd guess 12. Given that you have a WE available I'd put some sharpie on the edge and see where it is. Could just be an illusion, but that doesn't look factory in that picture. Curious to know where it is.
You’re right, it is shallow. I compared it to my Rex45 milli and the bevel is 1.5x bigger, if not more. I bought it on the exchange a few years ago as a black/black milli and swapped the dlc blade into a Ti milli. It was advertised as lnib and it seemed like it was. Not a mark on the dlc. You’d think if a guy did a major reprofile like that the dlc would show a little wear/discoloring. The picture does exaggerate it a bit too. If I get some free time I’ll use the WE and try to figure out the angle.

How did you do the tip up on the military? Custom scales?

The scales are factory. I machined a hollow 1/4-28 screw out of solid titanium and made a jam nut for the other side. I modified the pocket clip slightly and used one of the holes to keep it from rotating.

I didn't really document the process because it's not something most people can do at home.

tnPqkyq.jpg

The scales are factory. I machined a hollow 1/4-28 screw out of solid titanium and made a jam nut for the other side. I modified the pocket clip slightly and used one of the holes to keep it from rotating.

I didn't really document the process because it's not something most people can do at home.

tnPqkyq.jpg
Great job. I think it looks fantastic.

Back