Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

Bought my second Spyderco this weekend, a Resilience. Went right in my pocket, and despite being a budget knife is pretty nice. I like the full flat grind, since my other Spyderco is a saber grind and was not to my liking. It's not perfect - a little off center, but for around $60 I am pretty happy with it.

lIsCmRD.jpg

Bought my second Spyderco this weekend, a Resilience. Went right in my pocket, and despite being a budget knife is pretty nice. I like the full flat grind, since my other Spyderco is a saber grind and was not to my liking. It's not perfect - a little off center, but for around $60 I am pretty happy with it.
Nice big blade for the price...worse choices out there for sure.

Don't expect too many (if any) likes for this but out of the over 90 Spydercos that I own, I've been carrying the Efficient the past 2 days.

Not much said or written about this budget knife but it was one of the 1st Spydercos I bought and remains one of my favorites. It terms of design, it could easily be mistaken for a cousin of the Shaman and the Native5 upon which the Shaman was reportedly based; fitting in terms of size between the 2 and sharing a similar choil/handle design w/both. The only difference being the use of 8CrMov13 steel instead of S30V (or better steels); a difference most people would hardly notice. I prefer it to the Tenacious which costs about the same because the Tenacious lacks a choil and the handle of the Efficient fits better (in fact, almost perfectly) in my hand. The full steel liners and back spacer also adds a bit of heft (as well as strength) to the knife which I prefer. The wide leaf shaped blade looks larger than other 3" long blades and is much better suited IMO for slicing and other tasks than narrower blades. The polished clip also reduces the possibility of any obvious signs of wear.

Truth be told, I could go thru life only carrying the Efficient in my pocket for normal duties. It along w/one of my 3 Swiss Army Explorers and my Buck 110 could handle most obstacles requiring the use of the knife quite well. Fortunately, though, I am not limited to the choice of just these 3 knives. ;)

c216gp.5.jpg

Last edited:
Decided to try carrying a D'Allara 3 today.

Got a great deal on it from the Knife Center (a forum sponsor) that's selling it for $140 (43% of MSRP) and was able to get an additional $50 cash card discount off of it. So, it only cost me $90. :)

A touch smaller than I prefer but a nice size for an EDC. Like the wire clip on it, because it doesn't show wear and slips easily in/out of my pocket. Blade shape is ok for general use. The knife was originally designed as a "rescue" knife w/a serrated blade and the blade shape appears to be a carry over from the blade design. I'm not really fond of serrated blades and am glad this one is plain edged.

The only thing I don't like about the knife is the ball bearing lock. The claim is the ball bearing makes the lock up stronger and more secure but it really was a PITA to release when new but it has loosened up a bit w/use. However, it still cannot be released by firmly holding both sides of the ball bearing and pulling it back while using the other hand to hold the blade. While I'm not a big fan of the ability to unlock a folder single handed, even this is too much trouble for me. So, I will NOT buy another Sypderco w/a bearing ball locking device on it.

Otherwise, the knife is fine. LOL! ;)

YYBbsTEVRFvLbrSDaDB9_pcbanner.jpg
You can use the lock one handed. It requires you to kind of pinch it with tips of your thump and fore finger. Maybe just a little nail to help catch it. Quite dooable with a little practice. Still not as easy as other locks. The caged ball bearing lock on the Manix operates far more easily and is similar to using other sliding locks.

You can use the lock one handed. It requires you to kind of pinch it with tips of your thump and fore finger. Maybe just a little nail to help catch it. Quite dooable with a little practice. Still not as easy as other locks. The caged ball bearing lock on the Manix operates far more easily and is similar to using other sliding locks.

The ball bearing/spring are becoming looser and easier to release w/use but it's still not my favorite locking mechanism. I've got a Manix2 and a Manix2XL and they are much easier to release IMO. The D'Allara is the only ball bearing locking knife that I own and, based on my experience w/it, it will continue to be the only Spyderco w/a ball bearing lock that I will ever own.

The ball bearing/spring are becoming looser and easier to release w/use but it's still not my favorite locking mechanism. I've got a Manix2 and a Manix2XL and they are much easier to release IMO. The D'Allara is the only ball bearing locking knife that I own and, based on my experience w/it, it will continue to be the only Spyderco w/a ball bearing lock that I will ever own.
The Manix and XL have ball bearing locks. There is a version of the Manix with a backlock which you may have. The XL only has a ball bearing lock (so far as I know).

So believe it or not you have other ball bearing locks. The difference is that it's "caged" with sliding finger grips over the ball.

Back