Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

I think this is my favorite Millie. It might even be an overall favorite of all knives.

zrRsbED.jpg

Grabbed an old standard today, a Shaman. Just had to go back to a bigger blade after carrying the Viele for a couple of days.

Heavier than some like but I like some heft in a knife. The thicker, rounded and smooth G10 scales feel good in my hand the the polished clip eliminates the risk of showing any pocket wear. The think flat ground S30V blade also makes it as good for slicer as it it for other tasks. The choil at the bottom and jimping on the spine also make the blade suitable for more precise work.

One of my favorite Spydercos for EDC and one of the few Spydercos that I would consider taking on a hike or camping trip.

spyderco-shaman.jpg

Last edited:
Swapped the Shaman for a Yojimbo today. Have had it for a long time (as a part of my fighting knife collection) but have never carried it before.

The designer, Michael Janich, who also designed the Janisong, swears by it for SD but I prefer the P'kal, Karahawk or Introvert for that purpose. Still, it has a very sharp, pointy hollow/saber ground blade that can be very effective for slicing/stabbing for general, as well as SD use and you can quickly open it w/a wrist flick using your 3rd finger (easier than using your thumb IMO) or by depressing the compression lock tab (even faster than using the Spydie hole w/your 3rd finger) and the blade will quickly fall shut upon depressing the compression lock tab (w/proper adjustment of the pivot screw; mine is still a bit tight due to lack of use). I also like that it has a polished clip which eliminates any possible signs of pocket wear when carried.

Not favorite of mine but a very "interesting" knife nonetheless.

img_1561.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't resist and pocketed a Mamba that I just received the other day.

It's a HUGE knife, much larger than I thought it would be but I like large folders, so no real problem there for me but it definitely is NOT something you'd want to carry as an EDC and would probably scare the begeezus out of the people (who are not knife people) who see it if you deploy it publicly. LOL! ;)

I'll never use it to cut anything, just carry it for "show," because there's no way I'm going to damage that beautiful 3.75" 2-tone upswept S30V blade. The flipper, contoured CF scales, titanium liners, no lock stick and a polished clip are all additional positives to me as a "collector" piece but I don't think it should ever become a "user." Just too nice and too expensive for that to me.

KLC12501.jpg

Last edited:
Work party at Golden High Country Archers today, pleasant surprises on the way to and at home...

Heard a voice behind me at SFO while dropping off my Domino for some work, stating I had on a nice T-Shirt (recently won a BladeForums T-shirt and it has the logo bigger than life on the back of the shirt thx BladeForums); turned around & it was Eric!

He was gracious enough to take a picture with my aging mug, needless to say I was carrying/using my Manix 2 in S90V this morning while working on the archery range.

At home my BFF (38 years & counting) took delivery of a new leather NATO strap for the Seiko SNK805 that I modded as well as the Helm Komodo that was recently released!!!

KomodoSNK805EricEDC_032319.jpg

Last edited:
Couldn't resist and pocketed a Mamba that I just received the other day.

It's a HUGE knife, much larger than I thought it would be but I like large folders, so no real problem there for me but it definitely is NOT something you'd want to carry as an EDC and would probably scare the begeezus out of the people (who are not knife people) who see it if you deploy it publicly. LOL! ;)

I'll never use it to cut anything, just carry it for "show," because there's no way I'm going to damage that beautiful 3.75" 2-tone upswept S30V blade. The flipper, contoured CF scales, titanium liners, no lock stick and a polished clip are all additional positives to me as a "collector" piece but I don't think it should ever become a "user." Just too nice and too expensive for that to me.

KLC12501.jpg

The build quality of mamba is superb and the knife is visually very unique and interesting. Unfortunately there are far more better Spyderco cutters/slicers than it. The biggest turn off however is that portion of unsharpened blade. I owned a mamba briefly and sold it for a loss of $.

The build quality of mamba is superb and the knife is visually very unique and interesting. Unfortunately there are far more better Spyderco cutters/slicers than it. The biggest turn off however is that portion of unsharpened blade. I owned a mamba briefly and sold it for a loss of $.

I'm a collector and bought the Mamba solely to complete my sub-collection of upswept bladed Spydercos which also includes the K2 Folder, 100 Pacer, Chinook 4 and a vintage large Persian w/the steel bolsters and micarta scales.

I've thought a lot about adding a Tighe Stick to this sub-collection as well but the blade & handle design of that knife just doesn't appeal to me enough to buy it. Like the Tighe Stick, if I didn't like the Mamba, I wouldn't have bought it but I really don't have any problem w/the Mamba; at least as a collector piece which is all it is to me.

I don't ever plan to use or sell any of the knives in this sub-collection (however I do have a dup Chinook4 for sale, see below in my signature) BUT, if I were going to "use" any of them, it would be the 100 Pacer which I think is the best all around knife of the bunch in terms of size, wt, blade length, steel type (CTS-XHP) and slicing/cutting ability.

Last edited:
Back