Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

Just received my Manix 2 LW in Maxamet in the mail yesterday, in my pocket today. A little bigger than I expected but I wa ter a knive larger than my Native 5 LW. Really likeing the Manix.

IH7x2yr.jpg

Just bought this Gen 2 VG10 combo bladed model of the Spyderco Police off of EB and am carrying it today.

Just started collecting this version of the Police because I love the lack of holes in the handle; no alternate clip screw or lanyard holes. Just looks elegant to me that way. I also like the weight of the knife (I prefer the heft) and the feel of the smooth S/S surface that glides effortlessly into/out of my pocket. I've previously purchased a fully serrated version and now this partially serrated version of this model and only need a plain edged version to complete the set.

Anyway, the knife was advertised as used and the blade as unused but the handle was more scratched up than apparent in the photos and there was also some slight scratching on the supposedly unused blade. Fortunately, I had just purchased a cheap but very solidly built 6" bench buffer from Harbor Freight and, after just a little time using some green polishing compound, all of the scratches were removed and only a few hardly noticeable light nicks in the handle remained.

It looks beautiful now and I don't have to bother trying to return it for not being "as described." That buffer is one of the best things I ever bought at Harbor Freight. It was $ well spent. :)

PS: I also used the buffer to clean up the tip of a 1980's vintage Gerber Mark II, which is used but now looks "like new" as well.

qTI6JTkl.jpg

FIYmgDKl.jpg

Nice knife sgt1372, I’ve never owned a Police model but have admired them longer than any other Spyderco. I’m going to have to get serious about changing that situation.
I’m also a fan of the smooth stainless handles. We might be in the minority on that.

Nice knife sgt1372, I’ve never owned a Police model but have admired them longer than any other Spyderco. I’m going to have to get serious about changing that situation.
I’m also a fan of the smooth stainless handles. We might be in the minority on that.

Well I joined that minority. Just got a stainless Police plain edge myself. Nice honkin big knife. I too like it old school with the deep Police stamp and w/o the extra holes for different clip placement; but someone gave me gift card...

Wonder why Spydeco doesn't offer a full flat grind in the stainless Police. It's a slicer and a flat grind would help. Probably would make it more expensive, at a little over $100 it's a good deal right now!

Anyone know which Japanese firm makes it?

Thanks!

Yeah, hard to keep those SS handles looking nice, if you regularly carry and use the knife. I'm sure people complain about that, as well as its weight and how slippery it must be to hold when wet, but none of that matters to me. I think its the size and lines of the Police model that makes it look so impressive in all SS.

Nothing compares w/it aesthetically IMO; certainly not the G10 P4 that I've also got, which is functional but just lacks the panache of the SS version. But, if you do decide to use it as an EDC at least you know, based on my experience, that any scratches it acquires should be easily removed w/a buffer. :)

Thanks!

Yeah, hard to keep those SS handles looking nice, if you regularly carry and use the knife. I'm sure people complain about that, as well as its weight and how slippery it must be to hold when wet, but none of that matters to me. I think its the size and lines of the Police model that makes it look so impressive in all SS.

Nothing compares w/it aesthetically IMO; certainly not the G10 P4 that I've also got, which is functional but just lacks the panache of the SS version. But, if you do decide to use it as an EDC at least you know, based on my experience, that any scratches it acquires should be easily removed w/a buffer. :)

I find 400 grit sandpaper gently run lengthwise takes out scratches in most brushed stainless steel covers. I've done it with Spyderco and Sog knives.

Back