Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

gEaQzYR.jpg

I've been carrying the Native Chief for the last couple of days since I received it.

I like it very much and consider it a meaningful addition to the Spyderco line, which stakes out a unique position w/in the similar group of 4" knives (give or take a fraction) that I also own that are pictured with it below.

From top to bottom they are the: 1) G10 Military, 2) Native Chief, 3) Gen 3 Police and 4) Resilience.

I'm actually liking the Native Chief better than the others for various reasons. It doesn't feel like you are holding a sword, as you do w/the Police 3 and Resilience; its thinner handle is more comfortable to hold and slip into my pocket than the Military and Resilience and the lack of a hump and the better visual balance between the blade/handle makes the knife generally more aesthetically appealing to me than the others.

With its thinner blade/handle, the Native Chief fits very as easily in my front pocket as the Police does but, at only 3.9oz, it weighs less than all of the other knives. The other thing that I like about the knife is the use of a polished wire clip, which helps to reduce weight but (more importantly to me) it avoids any concern about clip wear, which is one reason that I often avoid carrying Spyders w/black coated clips.

In any event, while I have questioned the merit of some other recent releases, I highly recommend that anyone who likes/collects larger folders (like I do) buy a Native Chief too. I don't think you'll regret it if you do. :)

MDtLvasl.jpg

There's a timelessness to the unabashedly '80s aesthetic of the Police that I just love. I didn't "get" it when I first saw it, but lately I haven't been able to get it out of my head. What a great knife! :D

I agree.

Here's the 3 knife Gen 2 VG10 Police set that I just assembled. The plain and serrated models still have the protective film on the scales so don't look as shiny as the combo blade does. Was carrying the combo model for a few days awhile and really liked the feel of it in my hand/pocket.

What I like most about this version of the Police is the complete absence of any visible holes or pins in the S/S scales. Hands down, IMO, they are some of the MOST beautiful knives that Spyderco has ever made! :)

Nf1NsVfl.jpg

What I like most about this version of the Police is the complete absence of any visible holes or pins in the S/S scales. Hands down, IMO, they are some of the MOST beautiful knives that Spyderco has ever made! :)

Great photo, and nice work on the set! Your past posts about that set were among those I used when deciding whether or not to track down the pre-2013 iteration with the Boye dent and VG-10 but no multi-position clip options. Those smooth slabs are just so perfect!

Ultimately I had a chance to handle one, and to switch the clip to RHTU (my preferred position), and that was what sold me on the current version. I've also found that as much as I love single-position clips, there's a certain "this is a tool, and these holes make it a more versatile tool" aspect to the clip holes that I really like, visually, on the Police.

I’ve been carrying this one since it’s arrival and I don’t know if it’s the DLC coating or what but I’ve had many nice para 2’s and this one has the smoothest action out of all that I’ve owned and they’ve all Been good but this one is smooth like glass . I’ve got another DLT Exclusive para 2 m390 nib on the way fresh out of the blade show and I’m worried now because my expectations are so high now . But what’s reassuring Is my last 5 or 6 Spydies have been perfection.
Spyderco has been knocking them out of the park !
LZX893t.jpg

Back