Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

Received a Manix 2 yesterday and have been carrying/fondling it since. I have mixed thoughts about it. I really want to like the ball bearing lock but it’s not as nice as the compression lock to me at least. I’ll keep it for a while see how it is after it breaks in some. But it may be a catch and release.
950-E546-B-BF59-4898-A353-2-D89-F2002-C7-E.jpg

Received a Manix 2 yesterday and have been carrying/fondling it since. I have mixed thoughts about it. I really want to like the ball bearing lock but it’s not as nice as the compression lock to me at least. I’ll keep it for a while see how it is after it breaks in some. But it may be a catch and release.

Give it some time & put it to use before you decide. I prefer the compression lock on my PM2 to the Manix ball lock, but the blade shape & larger handle size of the Manix just suits me better.

What about the ball bearing do you not like much? I have a PM2 and PM3 and the compression lock is super...for my right hand. I like to be able to use either hand so was kind of let down how it fails in that regard. So I am trying back locks which I also like the simplicity of. But was considering a Manix for the BBL.

Is it too stiff? Inconsistent?

What about the ball bearing do you not like much? I have a PM2 and PM3 and the compression lock is super...for my right hand. I like to be able to use either hand so was kind of let down how it fails in that regard. So I am trying back locks which I also like the simplicity of. But was considering a Manix for the BBL.

Is it too stiff? Inconsistent?

The lock is loosening up some. But when I do the spidey flick my index finger comes in contact with the lock on the right side of the knife. It causes it to not deploy all the way. Happens about 1/3 of the time. Rather annoying. I have XL to XXL glove sized hands so that may have something to do with it.

the compression lock is super...for my right hand. I like to be able to use either hand so was kind of let down how it fails in that regard.

I close my right handed compression locks left handed in this manner: three fingers gripping the handle, index finger in the spydie hole, thumb disengages lockbar, index finger moves blade just far enough so the tang and lockbar are no longer mated, adjust grip so my three fingers are out of the blade path, on the left scale, index finger pushes on spine to close blade. Easy, safe and practical left handed closing of the right handed compression lock.

when I do the spidey flick my index finger comes in contact with the lock on the right side of the knife. It causes it to not deploy all the way.

I also take XL/XXL gloves, and have never had a problem opening the Manix, so I don't quite understand the deployment issue you refer to.

I close my right handed compression locks left handed in this manner: three fingers gripping the handle, index finger in the spydie hole, thumb disengages lockbar, index finger moves blade just far enough so the tang and lockbar are no longer mated, adjust grip so my three fingers are out of the blade path, on the left scale, index finger pushes on spine to close blade. Easy, safe and practical left handed closing of the right handed compression lock.

Same. But I did end up getting a left handed pm2. I will say it does feel 100 times better doing it the left way.

There's no disputing that a compression lock can be closed more quickly and easily with the hand it was designed for. But I would not let the somewhat compromised other hand closing deter me from enjoying a particular knife. After all, the other hand closing on a compression lock is not so different from closing a liner lock, back lock or (something I will never own) frame lock. Just a two step close instead of one.

There's no disputing that a compression lock can be closed more quickly and easily with the hand it was designed for. But I would not let the somewhat compromised other hand closing deter me from enjoying a particular knife. After all, the other hand closing on a compression lock is not so different from closing a liner lock, back lock or (something I will never own) frame lock. Just a two step close instead of one.

Ya. Totally. I own 4 pm2's but only one is left handed. I carry both styles with no issues. But it's nice spyderco did the pm2 in a left handed model.

it's nice spyderco did the pm2 in a left handed model.

Agreed. It would have been strange to me if they had not. Likewise with the Military, just because they are such iconic models for them.

Now all we need is a left handed Endura and Delica... ;)

I also take XL/XXL gloves, and have never had a problem opening the Manix, so I don't quite understand the deployment issue you refer to.

Here are some pics of how I deploy it. My index finger gets in the way of the ball bearing lock at times and causes the blade to stop about halfway....just the way my index finger rests on the scales really.

982-BB17-A-C7-D7-47-FB-AD84-3280-AC59-FCBE.jpg

8-C8-C79-DA-98-E7-4762-B3-F6-4-B9-C31486987.jpg

mitch13 mitch13 I've often found that an old toothbrush or nail brush and soapy water will get just about any stubborn debris out of my scales, be they textured G10, FRN or otherwise. Jussayin' :)

yamsi12 yamsi12 I get it now. We have very different hands you and I. Mine are XL/XXL for finger length, but they are skinny fingers. However, this is not why I don't have the same problem. It did not occur to me that you were middle finger flicking. I almost never do that, except I did learn how to do it to see what the big deal was - and there wasn't, really. I just don't understand the appeal of it. With a middle finger flick, due to hand anatomy, the knife must be held in a vastly less secure manner in order to be able to apply any speed/force with the middle finger, i.e. the pinky and ring fingers extended and not gripping the knife. Additionally, it is very easy to position the knife in the hand ever so slightly off, such that even with the appropriate force, one middle finger flick fails because it was directed along the wrong vector.

The index finger flick does not seem to have these drawbacks, in my experience, and succeeds with greater frequency, at least for me. The security of the knife in hand is greater as well, because you can curl your first three fingertips and dig them into the right side scale (for right handed deployment) next to the closed blade while you flick with your index finger. Because of this added grip security, I can index finger flick with much greater force (and thus a more authoritative audible snap of the knife locking into open position) than I have ever been able to with the middle finger. After index finger flicking, I can shift back to a full grip on the knife quickly and fluidly.

If you switch to this method, not only will your flicks likely succeed close to 100% of the time, but any failures you do experience can and will have nothing at all to do with any part of your hand interfering with the lock interface.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: So after playing some more with middle finger spydie flicking, I have learned that it is not as insecure a grip as I had thought. Though it is still a no go for me on certain knives, I can easily and securely middle finger flick the Caribbean, Manix 2, Resilience and Military. So I guess I have to eat my words about not understanding the appeal of the middle finger flick. :oops:

Last edited:
Okay I just played around with it a bit to see if I am talking out of my head. I think my best deployment might have actually been a middle finger flick at 0:35, haha. Anyway, you be the judge.

Back