Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

mitch13 mitch13 I've often found that an old toothbrush or nail brush and soapy water will get just about any stubborn debris out of my scales, be they textured G10, FRN or otherwise. Jussayin' :)

@yamsi12 I get it now. We have very different hands you and I. Mine are XL/XXL for finger length, but they are skinny fingers. However, this is not why I don't have the same problem. It did not occur to me that you were middle finger flicking. I almost never do that, except I did learn how to do it to see what the big deal was - and there wasn't, really. I just don't understand the appeal of it. With a middle finger flick, due to hand anatomy, the knife must be held in a vastly less secure manner in order to be able to apply any speed/force with the middle finger, i.e. the pinky and ring fingers extended and not gripping the knife. Additionally, it is very easy to position the knife in the hand ever so slightly off, such that even with the appropriate force, one middle finger flick fails because it was directed along the wrong vector.

The index finger flick does not seem to have these drawbacks, in my experience, and succeeds with greater frequency, at least for me. The security of the knife in hand is greater as well, because you can curl your first three fingertips and dig them into the right side scale (for right handed deployment) next to the closed blade while you flick with your index finger. Because of this added grip security, I can index finger flick with much greater force (and thus a more authoritative audible snap of the knife locking into open position) than I have ever been able to with the middle finger. After index finger flicking, I can shift back to a full grip on the knife quickly and fluidly.

If you switch to this method, not only will your flicks likely succeed close to 100% of the time, but any failures you do experience can and will have nothing at all to do with any part of your hand interfering with the lock interface.

I hope this helps.
Thanks I already do use a toothbrush.
These were pics taken while I was using during the day, hadn't Cleaned it.
I usally do that of a night and hone up the 1
I Plan on using the next day.
Cheers
Mitch

eGhVJMS.jpg

Thanks I already do use a toothbrush.
These were pics taken while I was using during the day, hadn't Cleaned it.
I usally do that of a night and hone up the 1
I Plan on using the next day.
Cheers
Mitch

You mean you don't clean it every five minutes? :confused:

;)

Last edited:
I posted this over in General too.

I’ve had these two for around 10 years now. I’ve been selling off most of my collection and it’s nice to get back to some old favorites. You can’t beat H1 living by the ocean.
C340DF7A-E481-4171-8216-C84F650229D9.jpeg

Here’s a photo of it diving in Saipan about 9 years ago:

7B03CC32-2D69-43E2-933F-6ECA1010FDAE.jpeg

The two I didn't expect to love. I used my home Bow River to debone a chicken over the weekend. I was a joy to use.

And the Advocate. True to Taichung quality. Fit and finish is near perfect. 4 out of five stars because the cutting edge is off. It will be a lengthy sharpening session on the Edge Pro.

UpT6tr3.jpg

The two I didn't expect to love. I used my home Bow River to debone a chicken over the weekend. I was a joy to use.

And the Advocate. True to Taichung quality. Fit and finish is near perfect. 4 out of five stars because the cutting edge is off. It will be a lengthy sharpening session on the Edge Pro.

UpT6tr3.jpg
The advocate is a great knife. Only knife I have a bnib backup for.

I see the Bow River listed as 3.8 oz. Not bad for an 8 inch knife, and nice looking for the price. But I have to wonder how the balance is. I would think it looks quite handle heavy, unless they hollowed out the G10 or something. How is it in hand?

Back