Recommendation? Which Spydercos are easiest to open?

MTHall720

Gold Member
I’ve been doing a lot of reading and am still not clear about a few things when it comes to Spyderco. Which models 3.8 inch to 4 inches have the largest holes and are very easy to open? In the past I’ve had two Spydercos. One was the full size Military which I never managed to master one handed opening with a zip tie, or the Spydie drop, nor the middle finger flicking technique. The other Spyderco was the original Manix XL. The Manix had a much bigger thumb hole which I easily opened one handed with my thumb. Wish I had kept it.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Spyderco's liner locks and compression locks are always easiest to open for me.

The Spyderco Resilience, although it's a 4 1/4" blade, so a little bigger than your specified range.

The Military is fantastic, though I had to finally admit to myself its just not my type of knife. And when squeezing tight, I could get a little blade wiggle due to compression on the liner lock bar.

The Caribbean, right in your range, is very easy to open. Maybe too easy. I adjusted the detent strength on mine. And closing it can be a bit of a chore, because of where the standoff is positioned; it's far enough back that when you pinch the knife to actuate the lock, you squeeze the scales just enough to sandwich the knife's tang, and add friction, meaning unless you loosen the pivot to the point of blade play, you won't really be able to consistently swing the knife closed in one smooth motion, but it will always stop short. If you are a tinkerer and want to install another standoff, then you can fix that problem so that you have a no-blade-play lockup, and a drop/swing shut closing action. I didn't do it, and instead sold my Caribbean at a loss.

The Manix is a great knife, and I sometimes wish I had kept mine, too. That ball bearing lock! But I'm a tip down guy now, so it's a no go anymo.

The Yojimbo was great for opening, possibly the best compression lock implementation I've ever experienced, and certainly worlds above the Shaman or Caribbean for ease and enjoyment of use.

I have a Yojumbo on the way, and I'm hoping it will match or exceed the Yojimbo's lock quality.

The Endura 4 and Pacific Salt both had fantastic action as far as lockback knives go, but I sold mine. I have a Pacific Salt 2 yellow plainedge on the way that will fill the role of both of them.

the full size Military which I never managed to master one handed opening with a zip tie, or the Spydie drop, nor the middle finger flicking technique.

This is strange to me. The Military is a tip down only knife, so I don't see the point of putting a zip tie on it, unless you simply kept it clipless and tip up in your pocket?

Tip down knives should be carried in a back pocket, in order to be able to access and open them comfortably and efficiently. A side pocket doesn't work as well, though if you don't mind putting the knife in the middle of your pocket, and mot all the way back, I'm sure you can get it to work.

I've never been a fan of the middle finger flick. I never knew how to do it for the longest time, but then I learned it just to see what I was missing, and I tried to like it for a little while thereafter, and practiced it with all or most of my Spydies. In the end, I came to the conclusion that the middle finger flick is just not worth it. Index finger flicking makes a lot more sense to me, because it can be done more consistently, and more importantly, doesn't require taking your fingers off of the knife's handle like middle finger flicking does. Middle finger flick is asking to drop the knife, but with the index finger flick you can firmly grip the scale with your pinky, ring, and middle finger as you flick, making it a much more secure grip to open your knife with. I open my knives with the index finger flick, which I feel is the most intuitive, as my knife opens and points exactly where I am pointing - with my pointer finger. You can't get any simpler than that for muscle memory. But I also use the thumb roll and thumb flick, depending on... how I feel, I guess. Those methods are also very easy.

The Smock is very easy to open. I can thumb and middle finger flick it like a PM2 or there is the awesome flipper. Also the button compression lock makes it easy to close.

The Smock is very easy to open. I can thumb and middle finger flick it like a PM2 or there is the awesome flipper. Also the button compression lock makes it easy to close.

I'll have to disagree on this. The thumb hole is recessed making it harder to spydie flick and the flipper tab is small. I still really like my Smock but in no way is it even close to being an "easy" Spyderco to open.

IMO the easiest to open are Manix 2, and compression locks like the PM2 and Para 3 after they are nicely broken in.

The Endura is my easiest to open too but I have a big hand with longer then average fingers.

You could always try to chamfer the spydie hole so it isn't as sharp if you think that is a contributing factor too

WARNING! - Following my crappy advice might make it worse or more uncomfortable. Ask my wife ...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-tip-for-chamfering-the-spidey-hole.1071967/

I can't vouch for the bit used in the above thread but you probably have something around the house to take the edge off if you wanted too.

You could always try to chamfer the spydie hole so it isn't as sharp if you think that is a contributing factor too

A jeweler's round diamond file works perfectly for this purpose. You can sets of them online for very little cost.

For me the larger the blade the easier it is to flick open. So a Dodo or a Ladybug I can't flick open but I can still open one hand.

The lock type for sure also plays into this. I have found back locks to be the most resistant to quick opening and the compression lock to be the quickest.

I would say my Yojimbo is the quickest followed by the PM2 and then the PPT.

My favorite Spyderco is the Manix 2 by far ... handles great and fits my hand well. Easy to operate and fills my needs well. The Manix XL is another slighter larger I also like.

I have a few Native 5s and Delicas that although smaller are easy to operate even with larger hands that complement a fixed blade or larger folder and can fill the role if I can't carry a larger knife.

Back