Which (standard) PM2?

I was hoping to buy a PM2. I initially figured that the s35vn CQI version would be the way to go, but I read a few gripes (eg longer, too-weak tip) vs the earlier s30v version. Could anyone tell me if there is a consensus on the older vs newer versions?

(My second post in as many weeks—a record!)

Pretty sure the tip gripe is about blade length in pm2 vs pm3 and steel type did not change blade length
I got a sprint run version in 20cv and the action is great.

I have had several PM2's (currently the only one I have IS the S35VN version). I haven't noticed a difference in length between this and other versions nor any issues with the tip. If you've got the money, though, I'd go with a different steel. I've had a couple of nasty chips in it that I think are a bit unusual for what I was cutting--EVEN for S35VN. Speaking of the 20CV version, I have a M390 Para 3 and LOVE it! I wish I had it in the PM2.

Btw—looking for more-stainless versions: looks like there are several floating around out there (eg 20cv vs 52100). Thanks again.

Value wise nothing can beat the standard s30v PM2 from the Exchange (about $100 lnib).

Thanks, all! Knifecenter describes blade and handle shape changes on the s35vn version, but I have no first hand experience to verify:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP...ife-s35vn-satin-blade-earth-brown-g10-handles

That's their standard description of the difference in the PM 2 vs. the original Paramilitary. It's not describing a change in different versions of the PM 2. They have almost the same text in their description of the digi-cam & S30V Para 2. Spyderco's CQI program is always in effect for their knives, but changing the blade length or tip profile from one blade steel to another isn't part of the program... at least, not as far as I've noticed. I pay close attention to their PM 2's & Para 3's because that's what I carry for modern folders. Every version I've had for both models has been almost exactly the same as far as the outer blade / handle profiles on the knives. I'm currently carrying a digi-cam PM 2 or an S35VN Para 3 along with my Case Trapper.

As far as a weak tip goes, for quite a few years I've carried and used Militaries, Paras, Para 2's, and Para 3's for everyday cutting, warehouse work, gardening, home remodeling, and hiking / camping chores. The worst that's ever happened to any of them is that they got a little dull from use. Back to the Wicked Edge or the Sharpmaker for a few minutes and they 're good as new. No damage.

I was hoping to buy a PM2. I initially figured that the s35vn CQI version would be the way to go, but I read a few gripes (eg longer, too-weak tip) vs the earlier s30v version. Could anyone tell me if there is a consensus on the older vs newer versions?

(My second post in as many weeks—a record!)

If you have an S35VN Para2 in your sights, grab it. Thank me later.

The only concern about the tip is the same as every other Para2. It's a reasonably fine pointy tip.

Of all the PM2s I’ve handled I like the 204p steel best. Lord does it get sharp and easily so on the Sharpmaker!

As has been said the description in question is of the refinements of the Paramilitary 2 over the Paramilitary 1. I have had a S35VN since the original run and it is one of my most used knives. Tip has held up well. I have chipped tips and edges in S30V knives.

I’d definitely choose the S35VN over the S30V model if I had the choice. While they are similar in most regards, I’ve found I liked the way S35VN sharpens up more than S30V. My S30V PM2 is a cardboard eater. Which is the perfect steel for such a job. For one I’d be carrying around for all sorts of odd jobs, the S35VN has a bit of toughness boost to it. Either way the PM2 is great knife to own.

Though, a Manix is better.. *wink wink*

Back