Which would you buy?

Sebenza
I would watch the Exchange for a nice used one with micarta inlays. They pop up often for $325-375 and I think it’s a perfect EDC knife. I like the Insingo blade but drop point is good too.

I got this one with dual thumb lugs for $325 and it’s one of my constant companions.
i.ashx

Personally I would get the 940 and the Grip. The 940 is an awesome knife and would be my off duty EDC if the Bugout hadn't been released. I EDC a custom Grip at work and it's just solid all the way around. I have no desire for a Sebenza, no matter how great they may be, because titanium framelock is just not my preference. Having said that, what I would personally get should have no bearing on your purchase decision. Get what you will be most happy with and use the most.

I literally had that same thought today, that I may never enjoy a less expensive knife by jumping right to a CRK. The most expensive knife i own is a mini grip

I have several customs worth more than a Sebenza. I love to carry & use them all. However, that does not diminish how I feel about my production knives. Heck I still enjoy carrying a plain plastic handled Kershaw Link from time to time. Of course YMMV

The Sebenza as a lifetime investment. The Benchmades can be gotten later... as you say coming up with the $350 may not be so easy
later. You'll love the CRK.

By the way, I also own Grips and 940s. I only really like the Ritter Grips with Wilkins Ti scales. The small version is darn close to perfection IMHO. The 940 is a fine knive too. Still, a Sebenza is what finds its way into my pocket.

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

I literally had that same thought today, that I may never enjoy a less expensive knife by jumping right to a CRK. The most expensive knife i own is a mini grip

I’d say go with the Sebenza then for sure.

I have several customs worth more than a Sebenza. I love to carry & use them all. However, that does not diminish how I feel about my production knives. Heck I still enjoy carrying a plain plastic handled Kershaw Link from time to time. Of course YMMV

Yeah I certainly still carry my less expensive knives and I own and have owned other knives that are more expensive than CRK’s, but most days that I carry anything else I usually have an itch about halfway through the day where I wish I would have brought a CRK for some reason. The small Sebenza/Inkosi platforms are just perfect office carries for me.
Part of this may be that I back pocket carry, and most other knives with throw my back off ever so slightly that I’ll develop a really persistent back pain for a few days if I sit with a knife in my pocket all day. If I carry somwthing else, I’ll usually take it out of my pocket when I sit down, but sometimes I don’t think about it. Small CRK’s never seem to bother my back

I own all three. Carry the minigrip 90% of then time. The other two are different knives but great in their own individual way. They just don't find their way into my pocket. That said, based on what you currently own if you can justify the price I'd go with the Sebenza.

Think it may have been mentioned but ... to put it simply ... without looking back ... the Sebenza ... that is all.

Lot of people already saying it, the reasons why are every where, but let me add one more vote for the Small Sebenza 21.
This is coming from a guy who's carried his just about every day since I got it about a year ago.

You may be underwhelmed at first, but you will not be disappointed. If you carry it everyday you'll begin to love it without even knowing it...until you try to rotate something in for a while and realize how much you miss it. I go through the "which knife today scenario" everyday like many here.

Which knife will I carry with my small seb 21 today?? :p:D

I'll buck the trend, and point you in another direction (and leave you with cash in your pocket). Southern Grind Spider Monkey.
Or, if you want a flipper, watch the Exchange for a GM3 (Giant Mouse).

Edited to throw in a picture:
YpWD8V9.jpg

Obviously, mine is copper... the regular version sports carbon fiber.
The Spyderco Sage 2 is worth a look, too. (You could probably get both, if you really want to spend the entire $350.)

Last edited:
I'll buck the trend, and point you in another direction (and leave you with cash in your pocket). Southern Grind Spider Monkey.

Though the OP didn't mention it as one of his considerations, The Spider Monkey certainly is worth a mention and a look. The titanium and carbon fiber just seem to flow into one another, and the steel is top shelf stuff.

I've tried to like Sebenzas for years, but they just don't do it for me. But you ain't me, so give one a go. You'll have absolutely no trouble selling it immediately if you find that it doesn't float your boat.

I love the 940 and it would be my pick, maybe even pick up an exclusive version with better materials, and I personally didn't really like the CRK in hand at least not enough to make me understand all the ravings about it. With all that said I would still consider the CRK in your shoes given that you really won't lose with an option like it even if you don't like it that well you can return it or even resell it for most of your money back.

Though the OP didn't mention it as one of his considerations, The Spider Monkey certainly is worth a mention and a look. The titanium and carbon fiber just seem to flow into one another, and the steel is top shelf stuff.

I've tried to like Sebenzas for years, but they just don't do it for me. But you ain't me, so give one a go. You'll have absolutely no trouble selling it immediately if you find that it doesn't float your boat.
Nope, he sure didn't mention it... but he did ask what we would do if we were him. He's already got 2 mini-grips; so I would probably pass on the third. The 940 has never really appealed to me (I'd consider a 943). The small sebenza is too small for my taste. That would leave me looking for other options; and the Spider Monkey is a great one. Whether a Sage 2 is an upgrade over his mini-grip could be arguable; but it is an outstanding little knife that can be had for a great price off the exchange (and a reasonable price from a dealer)

The Spider Monkey is a good suggestion. It’s a good size and seems to be a good knife for the money. The copper version is a bit of a beast in weight but looks great.

i.ashx

I think you own enough knives on those price tiers, that it's time to experience something new. You'll find the Sebenza is a totally different ball of wax from all your other knives. If the point of collecting is to experience new and different things, get the Sebenza. It will make you question your whole collection.

I think you own enough knives on those price tiers, that it's time to experience something new. You'll find the Sebenza is a totally different ball of wax from all your other knives. If the point of collecting is to experience new and different things, get the Sebenza. It will make you question your whole collection.
Came to say this, exactly. After seeing what you have, the Sebenza is different enough to be a mind expander.

Everyone is saying Sebenza. Well they are right. I own all 3. I owned many Sebenzas at one time before kids and hope to get back there. I really like the 940 but its not a Sebenza. If it's $ you won't see often then buy the one you have chance to, the other two can wait.

The 555-1 has some great premium materials but I wound up selling mine as I preferred my Ritter Mini Grip. The 940-1 is an amazing knife that I don't carry often due to the blade size. And the small Sebenza Insingo in carbon fiber that I own has always had a very stiff action and I recently sent it in for a spa treatment in the hopes that it'll come back a little smoother. In sum all three are excellent knives but none are perfect so just go with what you want the most and consider shopping on the Exchange here since you can get much more for your money.

Back