Whiskey flasks?

Skipping the Walmart-esque Stanley flasks, what are the good alcohol flasks that are reasonable in terms of cost and durability? The Snowpeak Ti flasks are $150~$200 and seem a bit extreme on the spendy side. I want something that won't break easily (i.e. no glass on plastic) and won't taint the spirits even when stored for a few weeks.

I'm thinking I want something wide and thin with a slight curve for a shirt or coat pocket but, I'm open to other ideas.

Secondarily, I'd like a larger 'flask set' for a suitcase to take 2 or 3 types of liquor with a nominal capacity of 12oz for each of 3 containers (i.e. ~1L).

TIA,
Sid

The Stanley one is the best way to go for affordable and good.

If you don't like it just go to one of the no name ones they sell at the engraving places.

For carrying a few full bottles in a suitcase I'd just go with glass or plastic mickey bottles off the shelf.

KleanKanteen makes 12 oz stainless steel clamp-top bottles which are good for transporting liquor.

KleanKanteen makes 12 oz stainless steel clamp-top bottles which are good for transporting liquor.

Do you have a link handy for one of these. I seem to be overlooking them on their website. The ones I see are all screw tops bottles. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area of the website.

Thanks!

Do you have a link handy for one of these. I seem to be overlooking them on their website. The ones I see are all screw tops bottles. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area of the website.

Thanks!

They might have discontinued the growler style cap 20201117_141913.jpg
You might need to contact them to see whether they still have them (shown here on the 12 oz kids classic stainless steel bottle). The different caps can be interchanged on different bottles.

Last edited:

Thanks!

You might have to go with their steel loop cap, plus the kid's classic 12 oz steel bottle

They might have discontinued the growler style cap View attachment 1457123
You might need to contact them to see whether they still have them (shown here on the 12 oz kids classic stainless steel bottle). The different caps can be interchanged on different bottles.

Those look like a good option. I might need to hit eBay and try one out if I can fit one together from their website accessories. THANKS!

I dont think bvb any of the above suggestions allow for on person carry.

Oh well. I dont drink anyhow.

I'm looking at two options, one for carry on my person and another for carry in a suitcase on an airplane.

Granted, an airplane flight for me is a good ways off but, it would be nice to have a flask that is resistant to the suitcase altitude pressure changes without leakage or breakage during airport baggage handling.

I'm also open to putting a bottle 'flask' in a small backpack too. I have looked at some 'wine bottles' but, do I really need 750mL of Tequila or Bourbon or ...? 3 smaller bottles (10~12oz) would be preferred on a normal trip that way if I'm in the mood for a nice bourbon on the rocks, or Margarita or, ... third option I'd be set without burning out on a single option. I'm not a big bar person and really hate smokey bars which give me migraines plus the general experiences weren't really that good to me. Especially since I'm not looking for a "one-night hookup" or chatting with a bunch of braggarts in various states of inebriation.

I remember stumbling around Georgia trying to find a liquor store only to find really restrictive hours and horrendous pricing which I think was state-controlled. That experience in Georgia really turned me off to shopping "local". Beer thankfully is generally not as frowned upon by local hypocrites (thinking of you political hacks in Bible thumping states).

On a flight the luggage compartment is at cabin pressure. If it wasn't then the pets in the hold would suffocate.

Glass bottles are very strong. Plastic ones are strong and shatterproof.

Do you really not have pints down there in the USA? Nothing like this?
liquor-lookalikes-1.jpg

I don’t really have an alternate suggestion but will chime in just in case you do decide to revisit the Snowpeak option - I absolutely love mine (as well as their double-walled Ti cups.) Yeah, they’re spendy but much like so many other unnecessarily extravagant EDC items we all seem to favor on here they’re worth it.

C4EF4A65-29CD-4C48-A3F1-A5E200E59CD3.jpeg

Hmmm, maybe I need to try one of those plastic bottles in a freezer bag or two.

Regarding pets in baggage holds, some of those are heated and pressurized and some aren't. Personally, there is no way I'd trust a pet I loved to a baggage hold.

My father was a commercial airline pilot and after seeing what happens out of sight of the public, it's a wonder any pet survives IMHO. I'd happily pay for an airline seat for any of mine. Thankfully, I'm not moving overseas so this is at best an academic argument for me.

I don’t really have an alternate suggestion but will chime in just in case you do decide to revisit the Snowpeak option - I absolutely love mine (as well as their double-walled Ti cups.) Yeah, they’re spendy but much like so many other unnecessarily extravagant EDC items we all seem to favor on here they’re worth it.

View attachment 1457214

I really like Snowpeak products. In fact I own some of their cookware for camping and coffee cups, both single and double wall.

At 5oz and ~$200 I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper or a bit larger. For a coat pocket, with a bottle at home (or hotel), I'd be really tempted to go that direction. However, I am a bit reluctant to put uber-expensive things in checked baggage after traveling all over the world in a prior career and hopefully again in retirement post-Covid.

I do keep going back to the Snowpeak flask though so, I'll probably end up with one at some point.

Reactions: JAB
I've looked at the Nalgene flasks. They are probably good for a coat pocket at a ballgame but, I don't trust them for airline luggage.

Curious as to why? To my knowledge Nalgene has been a standard mountaineering piece of kit for decades used in extreme conditions, including typical non-extreme air travel.

Curious as to why? To my knowledge Nalgene has been a standard mountaineering piece of kit for decades used in extreme conditions, including typical non-extreme air travel.

Nalgene tends to absorb flavors from alcohol, at least in my experience. Also I would hate to have some TSA luggage inspector open it up and then not screw it back closed tightly enough ;)

The Stanley are actually pretty nice. They have a Stanley Danner I like ...
5000511.jpeg

Hard to beat the Snowpeak though.

Nalgene tends to absorb flavors from alcohol, at least in my experience. Also I would hate to have some TSA luggage inspector open it up and then not screw it back closed tightly enough ;)

Fair enough. If I wanted to put booze in one I simply dedicated that container to alcohol. To the cap, well, TSA can mangle anything.

Back