White, almost powdery substance on OKC Kraton handles?

Anyone know if this substance that is sometimes found on the OKC handles is something applied, or does it simply just form on Kraton over time? I was thinking maybe it could be a preservative for the kraton, or maybe just a form of kraton "oxidation"... Just wondering :)

Have only had it with both my Spax SP16 & Spax SP36... Both having it when I received them. They cleaned off, but it WAS on there. Both came new in sealed plastic bags, (not in OKC boxes), so I believe both were originally intended for military issue (surplus stuff?).

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread I found this one from last year. The OP asks the same question I have.

I recently bought two Ontario Gen II SP50 knives with Kraton handles. I didn't know these had been discontinued (unfortunately) and consider myself lucky to have found them.

One handle is shiny black but the other one is covered with a white, almost powdery substance, as described by the OP, which makes the handle look gray and dull rather than black. The OP says he cleaned his handles but didn't say how. I tried wiping it off with water but that didn't work. It's obviously somewhat imbedded into the Kraton. Before I try anything else I might be sorry for I wanted to ask if anyone knows what it is and how to remove it without damaging the handle?

Thank you....

from what i understand, these are stains
left behind from the natural evaporation of oils
from within the thermoplastic.
so washing isn't the answer.
having said that adding the wrong
liquid solution might melt or
further degrade its state instead.
perhaps only the manufacturer can
rightly advise on the use of the correct
after care product to resolve or "soften"
the aging process...

GIRLYmann, thank you for your thorough and thoughtful reply! :thumbsup:

I thought the stains were probably caused by some process like that, as they are imbedded in the handle. Washing with liquid dish detergent didn't touch it. The knife looks new (except for the handle), and is supposed to be new, so I doubt if anyone damaged the handle. I don't know when Ontario started making the SP50 but found a thread about them going back to 2010. The knife could have been in an environment that wasn't good for the handle for several years.

I don't know what kind of Kraton Ontario used but found some info online that said at least some types of Kraton can be damaged by certain products or chemicals, which is why I didn't go further trying to remove whatever the substance is. I'd rather live with a dull, gray knife handle than a damaged one.

I am waiting for a return call from Ontario. Hopefully they will call back and tell me how to get the handle looking like it should.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Rather than start a new thread I found this one from last year. The OP asks the same question I have.

I recently bought two Ontario Gen II SP50 knives with Kraton handles. I didn't know these had been discontinued (unfortunately) and consider myself lucky to have found them.

One handle is shiny black but the other one is covered with a white, almost powdery substance, as described by the OP, which makes the handle look gray and dull rather than black. The OP says he cleaned his handles but didn't say how. I tried wiping it off with water but that didn't work. It's obviously somewhat imbedded into the Kraton. Before I try anything else I might be sorry for I wanted to ask if anyone knows what it is and how to remove it without damaging the handle?

Thank you....
Not an Ontario, but had something similar happen to an old "new" Spyderco Street Bowie I got from a local hardware shop. The kraton insert on one side was fine, but the other side had this white powdery stuff on it. The shopkeeper wiped it right off with some alcoholic swabs, then cleaned it with water. You can give it a try.

sv4, thanks!

I have a couple of vinyl and rubber cleaning products that are sold at auto supply stores (for
exterior vehicle trim, for example). Their first ingredient is water so I figured they should be mild enough to use on the handle, and they also contain some form of alcohol. I used a small amount of the mildest product on a small area of the handle and it seemed to work well. I'll probably wait a few days to see if there are any negative results then do the rest of the handle.

Still waiting for a return call from Ontario and curious about what they say.

I appreciate your help and advice! :thumbsup:

Back