"White Owl"... 3.5" Equal End... from GEC

On GEC's "What's Happening" page, I noticed this photo..

whiteowl.jpg

Is that the #53 Cigar and a REALLY big quarter? After some complex calculations...

monroe_keyboard_calculator.jpg

It seems as though it's a 3.5" equal ender. The photo is named "white owl". :confused: I'm hoping for a cattle knife.

Last edited:
This will bear watching on my part. My first knife was an old carbon steel bladed equal end jack that Dad let me adopt out of the tool drawer some 50 years ago. Lost it as a teenager. I've kind of had a yen to find something like it.

I think I'm gonna like these too.

One of the dealer websites states that there will be Spear/Pen and Clip/Pen versions. No three bladers for now. :(

It seems as though it's a 3.5" equal ender. The photo is named "white owl". :confused: I'm hoping for a cattle knife.

That is some mighty fine ciphering there...

One of the dealer websites states that there will be Spear/Pen and Clip/Pen versions. No three bladers for now. :(

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, even though they always do different variations later, this knife will start with a single backspring.

Here is a picture of the red buffalo horn and cocobolo handle material they will be using for some of the knives. I think this will be one to watch.

68-red-buffalo.jpg

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, even though they always do different variations later, this knife will start with a single backspring.

Right up my alley.:thumbup:

Here is a picture of the red buffalo horn and cocobolo handle material they will be using for some of the knives. I think this will be one to watch.

Is that Red Buffalo Horn going to be used on these White Owls? :eek: If so, I need one!

I do hope you're right about the single spring, Mike.

SO DO I!! Could be an Ultimate Knife....yeah nothing wrong with wild enthusiasm:D:D

The Red Buff Horn looks wonderful but I'm wary of horn handles(apart from Ram's) shrinking and peeling back.

They list a ton of handle materials for the pattern--but no horn--here http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/information/2011-production-schedule/

#68 Tidioute White Owl Pattern with Master Spear Blade
Ebony Wood
Jigged Bone
Acrylic
Bocote Wood

#68 Northfield White Owl Pattern with Master Spear Blade
Jigged Bone
Cocobolo Wood
Snakewood
Primitive Bone
Burnt Stag
Genuine Stag

#68 Northfield White Owl Pattern with Master Spear Blade
Jigged Bone
Cocobolo Wood
Snakewood
Primitive Bone
Burnt Stag
Genuine Stag

#68 Tidioute White Owl Pattern with Master Clip Blade
Ebony Wood
Jigged Bone
Acrylic
Bocote Wood

They don't have horn listed anywhere in the production schedule, though, so maybe it's an oversight. They also don't have Northfield version w/clip listed, so maybe it'll show up there (although they have two sections of Northfield w/spear, so the list maybe has a typo).

Knifeswapper lists Red Horn. also mentioned is Dead Skunk, that interests me a lot (in the right proportions)

An equal end pen. WHO WHO WHO would have guessed. :p I like the 3.5" length. I'm still hoping that they do a #68 junior cattle knife sometime down the road.

I don't think so. More like an equal end jack, two springs, both blades on the same end, just like the Camillus 23 pattern only smaller.

IMGP8022.jpg

I'm wary of horn handles(apart from Ram's) shrinking and peeling back.

Horn is pretty stable if you let it cure before putting it on. Many times when you see horn that has shrunk, it was put on green. GEC did have some of their early stuff move a little, but haven't noticed it lately. Nothing moves as bad as green rams horn in my experience.

I'm still hoping that they do a #68 junior cattle knife sometime down the road.

Something like the Burk Cattleman - that would be sweet!! Oversized blades in an equal end frame....

I don't think so. More like an equal end jack, two springs, both blades on the same end, just like the Camillus 23 pattern only smaller.

Here is what is known: 3 7/16" cigar frame, single backspring, spear/pen & clip/pen blade combos. So that really doesn't leave much to the imagination, but they asked that we not say any more than that. But it will be out in a day or two.

They have made two different mid-3" jacks with spear / pen this year. And although they may make one later on this frame, not this round.

I hope they remind me of White Owl cigars when I see the price! ;)

Hmm, will be a nice pattern. I hope they make some of those in copper-toned jigged bone like few of their knives. Such beautiful color.

This knife is too large and robust to be classified as a Pen knife. It is a Double-End Jack.
roland

You're right, Roland. ......unless that's a REALLY small quarter in the "white owl" photo. :)

It's always a HOOT ;) to see a new pattern for GEC.

Back