"White Owl"... 3.5" Equal End... from GEC

Stainless White Owl Light Tan Bone 1 of 5

k14AzST.jpg

Is that the norm with most Snakewood knives?

My Forum Knife 15 from CS in Bocote has lost a lot of its characterful grain:( nor has it been exposed to sunlight very much.

Travman Travman , my 61 Congress (2010) is the same, always been that way. The light needs to hit it, or else you would not be certain it’s snakewood. Not sure if that is the norm Will - don’t know enough to speak to that. Regardless, marvelous knives.

White Owl may be the GEC pattern I am most curious about that I have never owned.

Will Power Will Power -it could simply be accumulated oils from handling, otherwise only constant exposure to sunlight would cause this wood to darken. Using them, handling them is what causes it. All the grain is still there, simply hidden.
Thanks, Neal

neal70 neal70 Thanks, makes sense but it's not been handled very much at all and kept at the back of a dark north facing room:confused: Maybe I should sand it down:D

Well one option I suppose lol. I’d try cleaning, maybe a non abrasive type pad, crocus powder, idk, so hard to say without having it in front of me. If you have good carpenters as friends see what they suggest. This type of wood isn’t resin stabilized, it’s too dense. I’m sure it’s finished in some manner, but with what is anyone’s guess. It may be that the finish itself has darkened over time too.
Thanks, Neal

neal70 neal70 Thanks, makes sense but it's not been handled very much at all and kept at the back of a dark north facing room:confused: Maybe I should sand it down:D
People have talked about this before, but I have never actually seen any one do it. I would love t9 see it done.

Thanks Charlie. As always you have displayed some awesome examples. I don’t recognize the second one down. May I ask what are the handles on that one?
What are the covers on the other Northfield (the one with the UN-X-LD shield)?
Back then, Bill had time to make some specials. He covered a few knives in his runs with Bark I-can't-say-it from a "pachy tooth" I gave him in trade!:)
Them days are gone I'd say!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back then, Bill had time to make some specials. He covered a few knives in his runs with Bark I-can't-say-it from a "pachy tooth" I gave him in trade!:)
Them days are gone I'd say!!:rolleyes:
I have a #66 Jack with the same covers. I will have to take some photos of it.

I hope we see more #68s here!! Dig 'em out folksy folks!!:)
Equal end knives follow some of the oldest shapes used in traditional cutlery, The Equal -Ender!!
They engendered cattle knives, the ubiquitous "scout knife, and utility knives among others!!

It would be great if GEC reintroduced the 68, either the White Owl or the Pony Jack... better yet both!

White Owl in what was highly figured Cocobolo. It's darkened considerable over the years.
qgxENGv.jpg

Buffalo Horn White Owl (over ebony 35 for comparison)
5beu5P5.jpg

Back