White River Knives

Discussion in 'White River Knives' started by wrcb, Jan 28, 2014.

1. wrcb

wrcb White River Knives Moderator

Aug 3, 2012
    abolt2 - Our knives are available at Supply Sergeant. Check it out at http://www.supplysergeant.ca

2. primecut

primecut

May 30, 2010
    I know this is an old thread. I'm contemplating on buying the backpacker as an EDC knife. Can someone share me their experience on its ease in handling and edge retention? Many thanks.

3. AmosPaul

AmosPaul Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 17, 2014
    You really need to watch this. A neck knife is one of those ideas that seem great in theory, but doesn't work as well in practice.

4. wrcb

Aug 3, 2012
    <-- primecut since you reached out on this thread about Backpacker experience, we reached out this week to our page of Facebook users to encourage more people from that large group of followers to share their experiences on this thread in order for you to get the feedback you may be looking for. One Facebook user responded directly in the comments on the FB page, saying this about the Backpacker: "The backpackers saber grind ( similar close to full flat grind)
    Perfect for food prep small compact & highly sharp ... Makes it a great edc , now with more options = its a great knife & will be wanted by Many".
    And, hopefully other users who carry the Backpacker as their go-to EDC will take the time to provide you with their own feedback on this forum soon!
    Also, the Backpacker sheath can be configured in many different ways so you can wear the fixed blade on your pack, neck, boot, or belt. Thanks for your interest on BladeForums, and we hope you find the information you're looking for from the knife community!

5. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I love my backpacker. Its a great EDC knife. I mostly use mine fishing in my kayak. It fits the hand nicely and carries very light. I recently put the G10 scales on mine and it is even more comfortable. It did add a bit of weight though. Its held its edge very well and hasnt seen a sign of wear or corrosion even though I wear it on my neck and it gets sweat on and wet from fishing

anycal likes this.
  6. anycal

anycal

Jan 11, 2017
    In the pocket or backpack mainly. Or, when I want it around my neck, easily setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jmh33 likes this.
  7. oosul

oosul

May 27, 2006
    the backpacker is my EDC knife,its perfection.

8. Silverthorn

Silverthorn

Apr 24, 2011
    Hey guys, I got to handle a Firecraft hatchet at Blade show and I loved it! When are you guys looking to go production on these ? I would very much love to buy one.

9. wrcb

Aug 3, 2012
    Thank you for your interest. We made our first prototype run to test, try out, and gather feedback. We are planning to produce a production version but it is hard to say when it will happen. Hopefully we will have some by the next Blade Show in Atlanta. Stay tuned!

10. Silverthorn

Silverthorn

Apr 24, 2011
    They were really nice, and fill a non tactical spot in the world of full tang hawks and hatchets that hasnt been well addressed to date, imho.
    You guys did a very nice job and I am very much looking forward to them rolling out. Thank you for the quick reply as well!

11. olywa

olywa Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Finally found a pic and really like the design. What steel will be used for these?

12. wrcb

Aug 3, 2012
    We used CPM 3V for the first prototype run.

13. olywa

olywa Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Wow, thanks!

14. Crimson Cloud

Crimson Cloud Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2018
    Just reaching out to say I really like your 2018 line up. I have a Bakr-Bilt Model 1 that is an EDC knife for me, and was excited to see your collaborations with Owen Baker, Jr. That's how I found your company originally, and bought two of the ATK knives, one as a gift, and the other hangs inside the door of my trailer, always there. The S35VN is great steel on that knife; it's stayed super sharp, and it is like having a razor blade around for whatever cutting needs comes up. I loop it on as a neck knife when I step out at night to lock my gate. Probably wear it the same way when I'm kayaking next year.
    Also bought two of the M1 Backpackers for folks close to me that are not knife carriers but who hike extensively, and one for my wife as her primary backpacking carry. Real specific knife for their purposes, as they can be carried in multiple configurations. My wife's is horizontal on the back of her belt for a side draw. Discreet on the trail but close at hand.
    The communication with the company was very good regarding delivery, as I believe you were moving at the time I ordered. Nice packaging, and a really nice color catalog. Seems you're doing everything right, and I wish you well in your new space going forward. Thank you.

olywa likes this.
  15. wrcb

Aug 3, 2012
    Thank you for your feedback and kind words. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

jmh33 likes this.
  16. troutfisher13111

troutfisher13111 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Used a backpacker without any paracord to field dress a deer recently. Worked perfectly and was super easy to clean up afterwards.

jmh33 and wrcb like this.
  17. bedrock

bedrock

Oct 17, 2013
    I’ve only learned about your knives a few months ago and am ordering a hunter in canvas Micarta. And maybe an Ursus as well. I usually gutand quarter 2-3 moose, 1-2 caribou,1 mule deer and skin maybe 1 bear in a year so by November I’ll know if it’s as good as I hope it is. Just looking at specs and pictures you might have the best all around hunter out there. I wish I’d learned about them before I spent hundreds of dollars over the last few years looking for the "perfect" hunting knife.

18. wrcb

Aug 3, 2012
    Thank you for the kind words. We are always looking for feedback so please share your thoughts when you have a chance to put them to the test!

jmh33 likes this.
  19. bedrock

bedrock

Oct 17, 2013
    I received it! The thing's a work of art, best looking production knife I’ve owned. The only downside is the handle is a little skinny for big hands when they’re slippery with blood. I’ve called your company about putting spacers between the scales and tang. Can you put in a good word for me to persuade them to do the work? I’ve started searching for materials (pieces of Micarta or G10 and longer screws) or a custom shop but I’m not having much luck.

20. bedrock

bedrock

Oct 17, 2013
    Ok now I’m being picky. The Ursus is great in the hand for extended use, just right size when sunk to the hilt separating moose quarters but would you consider making one with a little less drop to the spine and a little more belly to the blade. It’s already twice the knife then most knives I’ve used for 40 odd years but a guy can always ask