Whitetail Hunting season 2008/2009

My big day is tomorrow. Its the start of deer season for me!!! I will be using the above mentioned gear and a Buck 105 "pathfinder" for a knife.

Success!!! Sorry, no pics but i connected with a nice doe this morning. I missed a buck yesterday:eek:, but made up for it today.:D Used the Buck pathfinder to gut her out, worked like a charm again!

Thanks for sharing troutfisher. :thumbup: I'll be heading out Thursday morning. The corn is still standing. Not sure when they plan to cut.
Scott

I never gave a story. I was still hunting down thru a semi-thick swamp when I watched her and two other doe get up out of there beds. They knew i was there, but couldn't figure out what I was. She was the last of the 3 to get up and as she was walking away and looking around, I shot her in the neck at about 50 yards. Its buck only for a while for me now that my freezer has some venison in it.

Way to go guys. Well I think I knocked one down this evening. Got to dark to look. I'll be tracking at first light.
Scott

Awesome Scott! Good luck. I love night time tracking. I was raised to never give up on a deer until you find it, or you know your not going to.

It's going to be plenty cool tonite. I've had this happen before. Problem is, I'm not sure if it was a hit or not.
Scott

No luck, complete miss. I thought the shot was only 100 yds. I ranged it, 175 yds. I shot too low.
I still have next week. Doe only.
Scott

Scrry to hear about your miss. Thats why we call it hunting. No kill for me either this weekend. Let a couple of does and a basket rack 6 or 8 walk. Hunting some land my grandmother left me so I am trying to let the little bucks walk for the future. Also saw 15turkeys.

Success! Dropped a nice mature doe at 6:50 PM. 115 yd. shot hit the shoulder. You can see where the bullet hit right below the knife handle. The knife is a drop point hunter, 3 1/2" blade 7 1/2" overall. 154CM steel. very impressed with this steel. I cut 6" up the breast bone pounded on the pelvic bone, cut out the loins scraping against the rib bones and it's still shaving.

deer08.jpg

Scott

Scott noticed she is in corn stubble. Can you give us a little written visual on your huntin set up. Tree stand, ground blind? Etc.

Thanks guys. CD, early muzzleloader I always hunt the crop fields. Some think I'm crazy but I kill deer every year sitting right smack out in the middle of a crop field. I have my ML sighted in 2" high at 100 yds. It drops 3 1/2" at 200 yds. I use a Harris bi-pod and shoot either prone or sitting.
The corn has just been cut. Four doe came out from a small woodlot inbetween an alfalfa field and the corn field right before dark. My shots ranged from 115 to 170 yds. Hunting this way I can cover alot of ground.
Scott

Awesome. I am more of a big woods hunter myself. I love to still hunt! I have a rule of three's. I take 3 extremely slow steps followed by 3 very slow and thorough passes with my eyes around the whole area, including behind me. Then I proceed with my steps again. I do this the whole time. Takes me a while to get anywhere.

I have half a loin dry marinating right now. It will be broiled and served with some rice and steamed carrots when I get home!

Last edited:
Finally, I get to go out again this weekend. There is some snow too. so the tracking will be good. I hope to find a good set of tracks and follow them. If all goes to plan(rarely does), the 30-30 will get to have some fun.

I just can't wait! I'm going crazry here. We're drinking beer right now(Budweiser American Ale) because we are Americans! We are talking about our statergies, and the one that got away, etc. Will post pics soon.

The rut is heating up around here. Yesterday a 1:10 pm I saw a HUGE buck off the side of the road in a bean field with a doe. I stopped the truck to snap a pic, but they took off before I could get the pic. :mad:
Scott

Back