Whitlox forge?

Ok so I'm working on a vertical forge wich will be done before long but I've recently been cutting a lot of trees around my property down. There all good hardwood and I got to thinking it would be a shame to let it all go to waste so would a whitlox forge be good enough to work with and HT simple carbon steels?

I have one that I got started with. They’re well put together and there is nothing wrong with them. They will do the job. That said it didn’t take me very long before I decided I wanted a gas forge. After getting a gas forge I’ve never touched the Whitlox again. Time waiting for the coals to build, time tending the fire and reloading with wood, and time cleaning it all up after all become time bladesmithing once you go to gas. As a hobbyist what little time I have for this hobby is precious, so I consider the gas forge worth it. If you wanted to do more general blacksmithing, the openness of the Whitlox makes that more practical than an enclosed gas forge. I keep telling myself some day I’ll try an axe as a reason to drag the Whitlox back out.

Back