Who’s Added a Sharpening Choil to their Spyderco?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Lenny, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Lenny

Lenny Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 1998
    If you did how did you do it? Bonus points for pix.
    Thanks all.

2. Bryan J

Bryan J Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 16, 2010

yoko likes this.
  3. Lenny

Lenny Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 15, 1998
    Thanks for posting Bryan.
    So how many of you actually added a choil to your Spyderco?

4. brownshoe

brownshoe I support this site with my MIND

Sep 6, 2002
    Never, I have no use for them.

insta9ves likes this.
  5. Sal Glesser

Sal Glesser Moderator Moderator

Dec 27, 1998
    I agree with Brownshoe,

We intentionally avoid them because they can snag and in an emergency, especially on synthetic line. That's an impedance. We've added a few if the designer insists, but it'a easier to put one in than to take one out. It depends on your preference? It's your knife. I always say keep an open mind, or what we call "drafty brain". Better to think a bit more.

insta9ves, Gizler00 and mitch13 like this.
  6. Knibes

Knibes

Oct 9, 2013
    I think it introduces a weak point especially being in line with the opening hole. Probably not a big deal.

Honed_Edge likes this.
  7. johnnytoxin

johnnytoxin Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2010
    Just sharpen it all the way back
    [​IMG]

co556guy, Gizler00 and mitch13 like this.
  8. TenGrainBread

TenGrainBread

Jan 10, 2021
    I don't understand the purpose of the sharpening choil. What's the point of sharpening to the "end" of the edge if by adding the choil you've effectively shortened the edge? What functional benefit does it have vs. sharpening to the actual end of the edge (i.e. all the way to the ricasso)? If you don't want to take the time to sharpen all the way to the ricasso, you just leave a bit unsharped, which leaves the same sharpened edge length but without a cutout that snags. Can anyone explain this for me?

loon#r likes this.
  9. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I add them.

I like them because without them and repeated sharpening a recurve will develop.

I just use the diamond triangle rod from my sharpmaker kit. Make a very small relief cut holding the rod in in hand, like a chainsaw file. Takes 10 minutes. And it's barely noticeable.

It certainly never snags on anything, and only removes the unsharpened part of the factory bevel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  10. Gizler00

Gizler00 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I do not like a sharpening Choil. I had a GB1 many years ago that a previous owner did this mod on. And it would definitely snag when cutting certain things like fishing line, string, fabric. Wasn’t for me.

11. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    Interesting thread, glad I looked at--was considering adding a choil to my Kapara. TRfromMt I really like your solution, seems like the best of both options. Great scales on your Para2, BTW. Are they commercial or did you make them yourself?

12. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Thanks. Those are Aramis scales. They are fantastic quality. I've tried to make folder scale... I just stick with scales for fixed blades now!

13. winnerone23

winnerone23 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I don't go as far as you, but do take away the metal between the edge and ricasso. (On some of my more used and sharpened Spyderco's)

Your way is very seemless and stock looking. Nicely done!

TRfromMT likes this.
  14. co556guy

co556guy

Dec 13, 2011
    This. I just don't mind having a little bit of metal there anyways. Doesn't hurt anything functionally if it's not perfect.