Who’s hooked on traditional lockbacks

Sharp & Fiery

Leatherworks, Kydex/Holstex/Boltaron, Mods -Canada
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

This is my first post in the traditionals forum, so if i do anything wrong, please be nice. ;) I’m willing to change. Lol.
I was given my father’s lockback a few years back as some of you may know, and it kindled a fire for searching out traditional lockback knives. Lockbacks have been my favorite locking system for a long time, i just tended toward more modern pieces. But...there is nothing more beautiful than a traditional lockback...dressed in exquisite burl or bone. The craftsmanship is a thing of beauty. The simplicity is what draws me to them. Solid lockup, and well, ready for any cutting task.
I do have a few slippies as well, but lockbacks are what draws me to collect traditionals. Below is a couple photos of my slippies and lockbacks...all traditional in style (i believe).
Im curious to be made aware of the makers and companies that sell traditional lockbacks. Thanks guys! Enjoy!

D3A02055-2AD8-49E0-B0F4-8622DC9CAE18.jpeg 66D1CED9-8CB0-46AA-B64B-B61DDBF95002.jpeg

Pics of other traditional lockbacks are welcome here!
Keep ‘em Sharp!

Last edited:
Me.
Buck 110 and 112, also the Schrade Old Timer 7OT and 6OT, and the Uncle Henry LB7.
The 110 or a 7OT or 6OT has been on my belt every day pretty much since 1969.
Though truth to tell, I did get a Buck 112 last year, and it was on my belt for a "few" consecutive months.
I generally pair a Buck 301 or 371 Stockman and SAK Huntsman or 4 blade Scout/Camp knife with the lockback. :)

I like your little collection Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery , a nice blend of traditional/traditional and some with a modern spin.
The bottom 2 Le Thiers are especially nice.

Lockbacks are my favorite locking device for folders - solid and user friendly - though typically require 2 hands.

Ray

The two bottom ones are my favorite too. RayseM RayseM . One is a tail lock and the other a backlock. Im sure you know that. :)
AA Grade walnut is by Gilles, and the Curly birch is by Chambriard.
I got lucky at bladeshow this year and got to hang out with Ron Lake for a few hours. So interesting. I was telling him how much i love his tail lock design. :) I was pretty excited when he took out the Tail lock for auction to let me handle. :) Was way out of my price range to begin with, but a beautiful knife nonetheless.

Also, my apologies for posting another thread about lockbacks. :/ we can just let this one die. Sorry guys and gals.

Not a problem, S&F, we'll probably get a new and different assortment!

I carried one very much like this for almost 15 years as my only pocket knife: Gerber Silver Knight.
6K2H9Y2.jpg

My most recent is a beauty from Case, their Tribal Lock in Navy Blue jigged bone.
VivOU8j.jpg

I'm not necessarily hooked on them but I do have a handful of them.
In general if I'm going to have a folder that locks it will be a lockback.
I like the small folders I have that happen to be lockbacks, but honestly I find myself wishing they were slipjoints so I could just close them without having to deal with the lock.
I like the knives for what they are though and I'm certainly perfectly happy with lockbacks in a larger knife say sodbuster Jr size up to a 110.

Last edited:
black mamba black mamba

That gerber looks nice!
And congrats on the Jigged Bone Case!

Peregrin Peregrin Now you’ve got me looking into the Case tribal lock! Thanks!

Misplaced Hillbilly Misplaced Hillbilly Excellent collection!! And nice way to position them for the photo. I like it! Is that a lockback sodbuster i see?

And thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, and made me feel not so new to posting in the Traditionals forum. :)
S&F

Here are a few of my favorites. I suppose they would fall under the traditional category.

Boker Boy Scout. Blue and Red Honycomb.
View attachment 1176802

I was intrigued by your post about the Boker Boy Scout ... perfect small size & what I'm looking for as an EDC. Only thing is that I was absolutely flabbergasted at how much they cost (I'm not familiar with higher end Bokers). Can you tell us if they really are THAT good ... are the side panel inlays really well done, fit and finish top notch & worth the GEC-like cost in your opinion ? THanks

Last edited:
Back