Who collects fossils?

On our recent trip, I stopped to photograph Factory Butte, my wife wandered picking up interesting fossils. These are Gryphaea, fossil oyster from the Jurassic period.
They are affectionately known a Devil's Toenails. A friend told me that thirty years ago the entire area around the butte was covered with these.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

Factory Butte, Caineville, UT:
medium800.jpg

I need to take a shot of the large oyster shell I have. I keep threatening to toss it.... I've had it in my house for probably 30 years. I like your Devil's toenail shots. Is that petrified wood they are sitting on?

I need to take a shot of the large oyster shell I have. I keep threatening to toss it.... I've had it in my house for probably 30 years. I like your Devil's toenail shots. Is that petrified wood they are sitting on?

Yes, that's locally collected Petrified Wood. The local doesn't show the colors like some I've seen from Arizona and Texas but it does maintain it's "wood" look. I finally polished some in my tumblers and it came out really nice.

Some AZ Petrified Wood that I polished:
medium800.jpg

I've got a small tile saw and cut some rocks/fossils for pendants. Saturday night my wife and her friend made a few up. My wife kept one, friend took one and we gifted two on Sunday morning to our favorite café owner and her daughter.

Turritella Fossil my wife kept:
medium800.jpg

This is Petrified Wood from AZ, didn't take a polish, wife's friend loved it:
medium800.jpg

This one will be a gift to a waitress that we know, she loves rocks, Gary Green Jasper - Petrified Bog from OR:
medium800.jpg

A few more.
T-Rex tooth piece, left bottom is unknown dino bone, right bottom is Plesiosaurus bone.
8v79.jpg

This one's coming up for auction at a place I get to now and then.

VqIJ6qZ.jpg

Back