Who else EDCs a fixedblade?

01cagAVh.jpg

Just curious, mean no harm - what do you guys like about EDCing a fixed blade? Do you use it more for work, or is it for the same daily jobs I use my folders for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be completely honest. Modern advancements, in folders, have minimized the benefits of a fixed blade. I have folders that present very fast (arguably AS fast as a sheathed FB), I have folders with locks that can easily stand up to the jobs most are using an EDC FB for. So.... (imho) that leaves two benefits: (1) ease of cleaning (2) the blade can be longer than the handle.

Here's the thing, tho - it ain't about benefits. What benefit does a $250 folder have over an $80 folder? One that will actually be noticeable during normal daily use? Doubtful. While we do like things that fill a utilitarian or defensive role, a WHOLE bunch of our (knife people) decisions get based on passion. Logic plays a part, but I do not believe it is as big a part as some will try to convince themselves and others.

That said, I like both. I have both. I carry both (sometimes simultaneously). I prefer a fixed blade. I currently edc an Ontario Karambit.

I will be completely honest. Modern advancements, in folders, have minimized the benefits of a fixed blade. I have folders that present very fast (arguably AS fast as a sheathed FB), I have folders with locks that can easily stand up to the jobs most are using an EDC FB for. So.... (imho) that leaves two benefits: (1) ease of cleaning (2) the blade can be longer than the handle.

Here's the thing, tho - it ain't about benefits. What benefit does a $250 folder have over an $80 folder? One that will actually be noticeable during normal daily use? Doubtful. While we do like things that fill a utilitarian or defensive role, a WHOLE bunch of our (knife people) decisions get based on passion. Logic plays a part, but I do not believe it is as big a part as some will try to convince themselves and others.

That said, I like both. I have both. I carry both (sometimes simultaneously). I prefer a fixed blade. I currently edc an Ontario Karambit.

In my opinion hygiene, comfort, longer blades and speed are all benefits. Personally I'm too clumsy to present a folding knìfe anywhere as fast as an fb. You might have an advantage there that I don't have.

In my opinion hygiene, comfort, longer blades and speed are all benefits. Personally I'm too clumsy to present a folding knìfe anywhere as fast as an fb. You might have an advantage there that I don't have.

Oh I'm not saying they have no additional benefits, just that I believe we will grab on to a very slight benefit and use it to rationalize a decision that was made with our heart not our brain.

Btw the folder I carried most was a Raja II. Most of the FB's I carry have nowhere near the cutting ability of that knife and it was very fast to deploy. I practiced halving 2 liter bottles, from the pocket. Truth is - something about the crude simplicity of a FB appeals to me on a more primal level. I don't think I'm alone there. We can try to explain why FB's are "practical" but I think it really comes down to the way having just a sharpened chunk of steel, in the hand, feels.

Oh I'm not saying they have no additional benefits, just that I believe we will grab on to a very slight benefit and use it to rationalize a decision that was made with our heart not our brain.

Btw the folder I carried most was a Raja II. Most of the FB's I carry have nowhere near the cutting ability of that knife and it was very fast to deploy. I practiced halving 2 liter bottles, from the pocket. Truth is - something about the crude simplicity of a FB appeals to me on a more primal level. I don't think I'm alone there. We can try to explain why FB's are "practical" but I think it really comes down to the way having just a sharpened chunk of steel, in the hand, feels.

I started carrying a small fixed blade because I switched to carrying slip joints and wanted something that could handle some dirty/more abusive work. And I like them a ton.

27595024079_f77e97005a_c.jpg

37184674523_e179e04543_c.jpg

34714505491_c55a4abd89_c.jpg

25966771248_6b97a1a233_c.jpg

Back