Who else uses a scythe?

FortyTwoBlades

Baryonyx walkeri
Dealer / Materials Provider
Well, since there isn't an agricultural tools section this seems like the best place. Who else is lucky enough to own and use one of these beauties? No cords to yank, no noise, no gas, no fumes--and it's faster than a weed whacker and easier to use than manual push mower. There's a bit of a learning curve involved (and little info on the American pattern on the 'net) but it's a wonderful, simple, and efficient tool for mowing, haying, and clearing weeds, tall grass, or light brush.

Found mine at a local store that specializes in antique tools for only $25. :cool: Ignore the handle positions in the first pic. That's how they were when I bought it. The second one shows them adjusted to where they SHOULD be. :D

296379_2281520485929_1486336360_2551840_328406_n.jpg318683_2365657349298_1486336360_2641491_17999191_n.jpg

EDIT: For those just finding this thread, click HERE for the present version of my guide on the use of the American scythe. The link will be updated as changes are made to the document. Old posts in this thread may not reflect my current thoughts or opinions.

Last edited:
I have a old 14in blade hand scythe ;that is quite handy for awkward areas. Found it buried 2ft in gravel when I was putting drainage pipe around the old rental house I was in that was a chicken farm back in the 20's.

Just about the best carbon steel I have used for edge retention. Stupid sharp with a few file strokes.

It's faster by means of taking less time. ;)

Here's an example of a race between a fellow with a scythe and one with a weed whacker. The fellow with the scythe is using the (presently more popular) European variety of scythe. Also, when I need to trim some grass or weeds, all I do is grab the tool and go. No setup time involved.
[video=youtube;Nx_PDiEjW_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_PDiEjW_E[/video]

Note that weed whackers aren't used for mowing, obviously, but rather for trimming around things. With experience a scythe is capable of trimming very close to buildings and plants that you wish to preserve. I can also feed the clippings to the horses. :D

Last edited:
Scythes are great. The blade you have is great for weeds or harvesting hay or grain. However, you should try to find a scrub blade as well. It is shorter, stouter, and will cut small bushes. My great grandfather used one for hay and grain in the late 1800s and early 1900s. My dad taught me how to use one. Thanks for the memories and thread.

Howard

I plan on getting a good stout ditch blade for it. It's been murdering the goldenrod, and keeping the lawn nice and tidy as well! It's so much fun to use it's hard to wait for the grass to grow again. As soon as any dandelions show their heads I run around and show em' who's boss! :D

There was another scythe at the place I got mine that had an absolutely brutal ditch blade on it, but the snath sucked so I passed on it. The snath on mine was well cared for. All the threaded parts freely turned with gentle pressure, and there was even a nice piece of thick oiled leather snugged between the ring bolt and the blade tang already. :):thumbup:

I use a sythe for cutting paths. I like the wild flowers so I don't cut untill the Fall, then I use the sythe for the whole "lawn" area.

Regards

Robin

Stay upwind of that fire Brother ;-)))

R

I get a free pass out of drug testing for a few months after I participate in a mayor drug bust like that one. It’s one of the perks. I always get a craving for peanut butter M&Ms after.

What kind of scythe to you guys end up using? American or European? Seymour Manufacturing is the last producer of American-pattern scythes I'm aware of, while there are a couple of Austrian firms left. All present scythe blades are manufactured in Austria, including the American ones. :p

It's faster by means of taking less time. ;)

Here's an example of a race between a fellow with a scythe and one with a weed whacker. The fellow with the scythe is using the (presently more popular) European variety of scythe. Also, when I need to trim some grass or weeds, all I do is grab the tool and go. No setup time involved.
[video=youtube;Nx_PDiEjW_E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx_PDiEjW_E[/video]

Note that weed whackers aren't used for mowing, obviously, but rather for trimming around things. With experience a scythe is capable of trimming very close to buildings and plants that you wish to preserve. I can also feed the clippings to the horses. :D

I love my string trimmer, i have one of the big ones like in the video....but, most people dont, if they used a cheap walmart trimmer, the scythe wouth have won wit no contest

I get a free pass out of drug testing for a few months after I participate in a mayor drug bust like that one. It’s one of the perks. I always get a craving for peanut butter M&Ms after.

Hahahahahahaha, funny. ;-))))

R

What kind of scythe to you guys end up using? American or European? Seymour Manufacturing is the last producer of American-pattern scythes I'm aware of, while there are a couple of Austrian firms left. All present scythe blades are manufactured in Austria, including the American ones. :p

i don’t know where they are made, I’m going to have to look at them much closer next time I’m out. Most of the tools we end up using are the ones we find on sight. Since these plantations are out in the middle of nowhere they guys that tend to these fields are very old school on how the clear the fields and plant.

Last edited:
American and European are style distinctions. The ones in my photographs in the OP are American, the below is a European one. :)

garden_scythes.jpg

Hahahahahahaha, funny. ;-))))

R

Yep everything is pretty funny when I am up there. We have to burn it all on sight most of the time, because it’s a pain to pack it all and take it out. We get to keep most of the tools the narcos leave behind. I have about hundred machetes and shovels at the base.

And a lot of M&M candy wrappers under my desk.

Yep everything is pretty funny when I am up there. We have to burn it all on sight most of the time, because it’s a pain to pack it all and take it out. We get to keep most of the tools the narcos leave behind. I have about hundred machetes and shovels at the base.

And a lot of M&M candy wrappers under my desk.

Mmmmmmm, M and Ms ;-))))))))

R

American and European are style distinctions. The ones in my photographs in the OP are American, the below is a European one. :)

View attachment 232751

Here is a picture I found of one that looks like the ones we use. We call them Guadañas. We even find them in some safe houses as part of altars the narcos make for the Santa Muerte (holy Death), a very popular cult among them down here.

Back