Who gives a hoot? I do. Let's see some White Owls

I was wondering why they call it snake wood Will.
There ya go.
Its a Centralian carpet python or Bredli -photo in a book belonging to my son.
They are kept as pets.

Try a piece of leather or a strop, just rub the bolster as you would the blade over the strop and it should fix and polish it quite nicely, I do this all the time to mine :eek: it works wonderfully

I wouldn't have thought of that, and it worked really well. I happen to have a bit o' leather around. Thanks!

6967034132_c41e4214f1_z.jpg

The divot no longer scrapes skin, and catches my nail only if I specifically test to see if it will still do so. I'll work on it more off and on, but for now I'm pleased that it's stopped attacking my hand (and hurting my feelings).

7113127467_5c619bee66.jpg

Hoot!

7113109713_441517e710_z.jpg

(Inspired by meako)

~ P.

I wouldn't have thought of that, and it worked really well. I happen to have a bit o' leather around. Thanks!

The divot no longer scrapes skin, and catches my nail only if I specifically test to see if it will still do so. I'll work on it more off and on, but for now I'm pleased that it's stopped attacking my hand (and hurting my feelings).

~ P.

Haha no problem, I do that whenever my knives have a nice scratch in em, it really works to take off the excess sharp metal as you found out, I'm curious to see what leather and some jewelers rouge would produce ;)

Hunh. I wouldn't have suspected that to be the case, but I believe you. To me, the spear blade evokes an older knife (possibly I saw one in the hands of an elder when I was young?), and fits very well with this pattern.

Hmm, does it look anything like this? Lil' bit? ;)

7100277959_3a63c6ed7f_z.jpg

6954209472_c66b2f41c6_z.jpg

6954212200_3df1a41f39_z.jpg

Backside gold, more pronounced in this image than to the eye:
6954211338_e37d221246_z.jpg

I received this one just this past Thursday, and am thrilled. While this thread is timely for me (I get to Play this time), I'm grateful to everyone who took the time to post pictures and detailed descriptions previously, helping me to make an informed decision.

Nothing prepared me for how beautiful the bone would be in person, nor how good the knife feels in-hand, but y'all did everything you could up to that point. :)

~ P.

Yep, that's just like mine, to go with my burnt sienna bone Conductor. I know bails aren't super popular but on these knives (and Scouts of course) they seem just right. I love the leather lanyard you have too, it just adds to the classyness (is that a word?) of the knife.

Thanks for the pics!

The White Owl is definitely one of my favorite GEC patterns to both collect and carry. This one is probably among the top five in my collection of knives, traditional or not. Every time I pull it out of the tube the stag just seems to glow with a fiery red and the f&f is flawless. To me this is an almost perfectly designed pattern to carry and this particular knife is always stunning to look at. Don't know if my pics will do it justice, but I hope yall enjoy it as much as I do! :thumbup:

owl1.jpg

owl2.jpg

owl3.jpg

~ P.

Pertinux, don't be afraid to use a little 2000 grit wet 'n' dry on that nick. Smooth it off with the sandpaper, then polish the bolster with a little flitz on a piece of leather. I use my strop, loaded with flitz held in my hand like a file, to polish. Works great!

Frostyfingers

Anyway, while the gash isn't big, it has sharp edges. Any ideas on what to use to buff(?) down the sharp edges of the dent without scritching up the bolster?

~ P.

I have used sandpaper as well. 600-1000 grit. Then polish on a strop. Metal polish on leather works wonders!

I have used this after fixing wiggly blades. (padded vice, peen the pivot, and sand/polish).

...I'm curious to see what leather and some jewelers rouge would produce ;)

Pertinux, don't be afraid to use a little 2000 grit wet 'n' dry on that nick. Smooth it off with the sandpaper, then polish the bolster with a little flitz on a piece of leather. I use my strop, loaded with flitz held in my hand like a file, to polish. Works great!

Frostyfingers

I have used sandpaper as well. 600-1000 grit. Then polish on a strop. Metal polish on leather works wonders!

I have used this after fixing wiggly blades. (padded vice, peen the pivot, and sand/polish).

Thanks, everyone. I want to make sure I have the right materials in place before I try anything further, so as to hopefully prevent further personalizing this particular knife. 'Gads. I have higher grit sandpaper, but no Flitz or rouge or _______(?).

UPDATE: I went to rustle up some high grit sandpaper and was unsuccessful, but lit upon some 0000 steel wool. Knowing how well it worked on guitar frets (without damaging the surroundings), I tried it on the divot and was able to buff it down to acceptable almost-nothingness, following up on some pigskin. Whew. I'd still like to add the other materials and their use to my toolbox (literal and metaphorical), but for now I can breathe even easier. Thanks, all.

I think some of us shop at the same tailor... :)
IMG_20120426_105803.jpg

Sure looks that way. :) Mine arrived so quickly, I wonder if it shipped before I finalized payment. :thumbup:

I really like the little lanyard with this knife: useful, consistent with the overall look, and unobtrusive in hand.

O-tay, where'd the shield go (I'm guessing the knife came nekkid?), and did you buff off any blade etching or was that bare as well?

Beautiful!

~ P.

Last edited:
P, The "Genuine Stag" Northfields come without a shield but they give you a pin with the UNXL logo. The etch disappears when a patina forms. It will also come off with Flitz but this knife has not been cleaned.

P, The "Genuine Stag" Northfields come without a shield but they give you a pin with the UNXL logo. The etch disappears when a patina forms. It will also come off with Flitz but this knife has not been cleaned.

Aha-- so that's why some knives have a picture of the pin in the picture with them? I hadn't put that together with the lack of a shield.
slaphead.gif

I didn't know the etch could disappear so (relatively) easily. I look forward to watching it happen through regular use and resulting patina, as yours did.

Thanks!

~ P.

Update.

When last seen, our beloved hero (the knife, not the Drop-per) was still sporting a noticeable battle wound.

I just took this picture to post in the current Patina thread, and noticed that it captures how well I was able to adios the divot (bolster at far right). So, I thought I'd post it here as well:

7311500014_8b05f20d2b_c.jpg

Yay. :)

(Also, thanks again to Suprasomethingsomething for the heads up on the etch fading....)

~ P.

Lookin' good, ~P. I can hardley see the ding in the bolster. Just looks like a minor scratch now.

Nice bit of handiwork, Pertinux.

Those White Owls look to be fine companions. I think that genuine stag one is hooting my name...

Back