Who has never owned a 34OT?

Can’t help ya there, I have an 834 upstairs in my EDC box o blades and it’s one of my favorite Stockmans. I think of the big guys, Schrade, Case, Camillus, Buck, Robeson even Remington. The UH 834 is definitely among my top 3.

Granted it’s 3rd behind the Remington with the Robeson bein’ my grail.

I mean seriously between these 3 how can you not see how sexy that pattern is

632596B-1.jpg

The 834 is a workin’ man’s knife and everyone should own one.

Anyone know how the Taylor brand Schrades compare to the USA made ones?

My first knife of quality that really counts was a 34OT, at some point when I was a kid.
The long story short is that someone bought it because it was on sale and never even bothered to free it from the packaging.
It sat in the living room for weeks till one day I decided to free it , drop it in my pocket, and discard the packaging.

It had some issues, so this is what my 34OT looks like today.

With how proud the sheep's foot sat, I could only comfortably hold the knife with that blade open so naturally I wore it out. Not that it had any snap at all to it anyways.
I much prefer the 33OT middleman jack.

EDIT :
Here's my 33OT, which I've actually not carried in well over a month.

I love the knife however and I'm definitely not done carrying for good.

Last edited:
I’ve never had one, but always loved the shape and look of the old timer Stockman patterns.

Really I’d never heard of them until the porch. I had always owned SAKs and Bucks, the stores I frequented just never stocked them or I never noticed them.

In the 70s and early 80s, when I was a kid, my grandfather only carried a 34OT. I watched him use that knife for everything. It had heavy patina, and the blades we're ground down over the years from heavy, frequent use of a coarse stone. I wish I knew where that knife ended up.

I don't remember owning a 34OT.
I find it a little smaller than I prefer to carry. (Ditto the Buck 303)

I'm going to say maybe. For most of my life, I carried various pocket knives, but paid little attention to which ones. They were just tools. I remember owning a couple Old Timer knives when I was young, so maybe I had one of these. I only became a knife knut in the last year or so!

Never owned a 34OT. Growing up in the 80’s and early 90’s I carried a SAK knockoff until my father gifted me his Puma cub since he picked up an earl or duke, whatever the cub size was called with that awesome Puma stag. After losing the Puma cutting hay, he bought me a 96OT that I carried until losing it in college. That 96 was sweet with the tweezers and metal “toothpick”... just what a redneck east Texan needed in college.
I have been meaning to pickup some old timer USA stockmans off the auction site, but always get distracted.

Well, you’ve heard of secret Santa, this was a secret GAW. Congratulations jwb01 jwb01 you just won yourself a USA made 34OT. I wrote the names of everyone who said they never have owned one, numbered them randomly and then threw a dart at the dartboard. It’s yours to do as you wish but I would ask that if you ever tire of it you come back to this thread and pull a name from someone that never owned one and pass it to them. Should you decide to pass on it just let me know and I’ll throw another dart. PM me with your shipping address and I’ll get it in the mail. Here is your prize and Merry Christmas!!

198-E01-C7-A1-D7-4-C7-A-9414-214-E85-F73518.jpg

Well, you’ve heard of secret Santa, this was a secret GAW. Congratulations jwb01 jwb01 you just won yourself a USA made 34OT. I wrote the names of everyone who said they never have owned one, numbered them randomly and then threw a dart at the dartboard. It’s yours to do as you wish but I would ask that if you ever tire of it you come back to this thread and pull a name from someone that never owned one and pass it to them. Should you decide to pass on it just let me know and I’ll throw another dart. PM me with your shipping address and I’ll get it in the mail. Here is your prize and Merry Christmas!!

198-E01-C7-A1-D7-4-C7-A-9414-214-E85-F73518.jpg
Nice! We've got some awesome folks on this board.

I had one 40 some years ago while in school but lost it. Over the years I have accumulated several Schrade and Uncle Henry knives including two 34OT's that are part of my daily EDC rotation. I love the size of the 34 as it's the same size as my Buck 303 and Case 63087 and 62087.

Been there done that but a later date than you'd think. When I was a kid it was the Boulder Western that got my attention, ther were the Camillus and New York, Schrades etc but they were all from out east. I was a Western kind of guy living in California when California celebrated an old west/mexican heritage or as much as an 8 year old could celebrate. I was a Military Brat and when not quite a youth we went overseas to Europe and in Germany I was all about German Bolker, Kissing Crane and especially German Eye (I was fascinated by the blade etch). Those were very different just Post War days but I wouldn't' trade for anything. Aside from the SAK tinkerers that were constant with me well into my 40's when I picked up a couple of Bucks and maybe a Gerber before they went wild. in the 90's I used what I had and needing some kind of new blade in the 2000's reluctantly entered the "tactile" world. Wasn't informed of the whole GEC, Queen, etc lines until 2012 when I bought my first GEC. Thinking back in the time line I may have been mid 30's for my first OT, I think it was the Sharpfinger and I'm sure a 34 followed shortly so yea, I've been there done that but OT was never on my short list it was just a tool. I've had several other minor diversions but collecting never entered my mind as a hobby until I found you enablers. I have never been a case guy either.

Well, that's my contribution to the porch. Always stand out in the street and listen, might come up the steps and throw something in, thought I'd come on up and maybe not sit down but more than stand and wave as usual. You're a great bunch of guys, see you later.

Jim
Nice to hear from you.

Had a 34ot I gifted, got another recently that doesn't show China on the tang but probably is.....

I have a handful of OTs I've picked up at flea markets and estate sales, but I wasn't aware of them as a kid. It was Camillus at the hardware and gun stores, and probably Case also, but Case was more expensive and not from New York like me and Camillus. I have come to appreciate the long sheepsfoot Schrade did.
34OT with the Camillus 63 that was my first expensive knife.
dZ2vyAQ.jpg

Back