Who has the BEST can opener?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been using the can opener on a Vic Recruit for the past 10 years and it’s going strong. Maybe not the answer you’re looking for, but it works great for me.

I had the same problem as you, but maybe this can fill the bill: SWING-AWAY, made in USA, used to be the best can opener on the market, but after 50 years, they went out of business maybe 10 years ago. I used to own one, but after long years and lots of abuse and neglect (not by me, but a female family member who shall remain nameless:rolleyes:), it finally became useless. However, the plant was reopened a few years later by a cooperative of former Swing-Away workers, and went back into production, renamed EZ-DUZ-IT. It doesn't have quite the finesse of the original, but is close enough, in some ways maybe tougher. I have had one of those for some years now, and it has held up as well as the original. Check it out.

Last edited:
I had the same problem as you, but maybe this may fill the bill: SWING-AWAY, made in USA, used to be the best can opener on the market, but after 50 years, they went out of business maybe 10 years ago. I used to own one, but after long years and lots of abuse and neglect (not by me, but a female family member who shall remain nameless:rolleyes:), it finally became useless. However, the plant was reopened a few years later by a cooperative of former Swing-Away workers, and went back into production, renamed EZ-DUZ-IT. It doesn't have quite the finesse of the original, but is close enough, in some ways maybe tougher. I have had one of those for some years now, and it has held up as well as the original. Check it out.
I've got a swingaway handheld from my grandparents and while it works great and is extrmely rugged it's takes a lot of force to turn it.
By far the best handheld can opener I've ever used is an old EKKO which has 2 gears and opens cans effortlessly.

I'd really love one of those crank operated swingaways if I could find one.

I've got a swingaway handheld from my grandparents and while it works great and is extrmely rugged it's takes a lot of force to turn it.
By far the best handheld can opener I've ever used is an old EKKO which has 2 gears and opens cans effortlessly.

I'd really love one of those crank operated swingaways if I could find one.

Swingaway came in two versions, I believe, one of them wall mounted, the other handheld. Mine was/is the handheld one that had a key type opener, as does the EZ. Both worked smoothly with only a little effort. Could it be your crank operated one was the fixed wall type? That would explain the name, at least.

Swingaway came in two versions, I believe, one of them wall mounted, the other handheld. Mine was/is the handheld one that had a key type opener, as does the EZ. Both worked smoothly with only a little effort. Could it be your crank operated one was the fixed wall type? That would explain the name, at least.

I was talking about the mounted type that I'd love to have.

My swingaways is the standard " key style ", and for some reason it just takes a lot of force to get through a can.
The EKKO with two gears however really is effortless.

Just take your favorite blade and stab it like a victim until the contents pours out. That's what using knives is all about.

Victorinox has the best on a knife; however, I'll first reach for the P38 on my key chain everytime because it is better.

I have a little one called a "super kim" that works really well.

I love these things! With a name like Super Kim, I thought it was Korean. So did Amazon, and they added a Korean instruction sheet to the product page.

61zGM3d1-uL.jpg

No, it's French! Nogent is a French manufacturer of kitchen knives and utensils with a factory in Biesels, Haute-Marne.

https://www.nogent3etoiles.com/en/our-company/

They're so French their English product descriptions are Google translations. For example
This tongue-and-groove jar wrench is essential for opening jars with a rubber tongue. Indeed, astute, it allows to pull the tongue of the rubber seal effortlessly. This product is made in France.

Talking about this "Key ring" Nogent can opener:

Cle-a-bocal-nogent-pour-les-bocaux-difficiles.jpg

I had to put on my thinking cap for this one. It's for opening old-fashioned bail secured "lightening" mason jars, which Europeans still use for home canning.

lp-super-jars-fh.png

One thing I learned from their web site is that the Super Kim's EU list price is 10,59€ (about $13) before tax. That means I need to go shopping, Amazon costs too much. I'm buying.

Victorinox has the best on a knife; however, I'll first reach for the P38 on my key chain everytime because it is better.

Gangy No. 300 AKA Ganji Kankiri is a Japanese gonzo version of the P38, like a Himalayan Imports Ka-Bar homage as an 18" short sword.

gangybox_grande.jpg

I own a Zyliss Safe Edge can opener which cuts through the side of the can instead of the lid. It isn't effortless or especially fast, but it's recommended to the accident prone. No way you could cut yourself with this.

Zyliss1.jpg
Zyliss2.jpg
Zyliss3.jpg
Zyliss4.jpg

Zyliss has a newer safe edge can opener which I haven't handled. Kuhn Rikon, another Swiss kitchenware manufacturer, has its own safe edge design which is cheaper than Zyliss and looks interesting.

Last edited:
I've been using an Oxo good grips can opener for quite a few years now and it's still going strong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back