?Who hates SAK'S?

cardimon said:
The other useless thing is the corkscrew -- something else over which the Americans and Europeans can disagree.
Aparently you've never had to yank somebody's eyeball out. :rolleyes:

cardimon said:
The implement I love to hate is the perpendicular or T-grip phillips. I hate those. It looks as though it was "stuck on" as an afterthought. I much prefer the inline phillips.
The other useless thing is the corkscrew -- something else over which the Americans and Europeans can disagree.

Yep, the in-line/in-body Phillips is much more prefereable for me too -
as it is designed with a squared tang that has a deliberate stop at the 90deg/right angle position to allow for more torque, and (obviously) in-line for more reach and faster turning. BTW - the larger screwdriver (with the bottle cap-lifter) also has this dual position since about the mid-late 1980's.

The small screwdriver tip on the can opener actually is designed for #1 and #2 Phillips.

However I have a completely different take on the corkscrew - in fact I don't have that many SAKs in Alox or the Phillips on the back - exactly because I much prefer SAKs with the corkscrew - since I drink wine, it's essential.

Having a corkscrew means one's an instant hit at parties or picnics.
In fact I used my EDC SAK's corkscrew to help open a bunch of wine bottles on Saturday at a benefit event -
and kept up with the mechanically aided opener....

Lastly with the corkscrew - which many people have found very inventive uses for other than opening bottles - allows one to stow/carry the tiny jeweller's screwdriver - itself has saved a number of situations......

--
Vincent

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/
http://UnknownVT.cjb.net/

UnknownVT said:
Lastly with the corkscrew - which many people have found very inventive uses for other than opening bottles - allows one to stow/carry the tiny jeweller's screwdriver - itself has saved a number of situations......

Okay, you have me there. I'll reverse myself on the corkscrew. I'll change my vote to the package carrier hook. For America, anyway, it seems a fairly useless tool to me.

Planterz said:
Aparently you've never had to yank somebody's eyeball out.

Indeed not. I have been spared that task. However, should I be called upon to do so, I can always use the pliers on my Wave. ;)

cardimon said:
Okay, you have me there. I'll reverse myself on the corkscrew. I'll change my vote to the package carrier hook. For America, anyway, it seems a fairly useless tool to me.

I would rather have the corkscrew then the hook too. I think the hook is ok, but the corkscrew is great!

The corkscrew is great for America. ALOT of people drink wine in my area...almost as much as drink beer.

The corkscrew also serves as the multipurpose hook. It can do all of the same things almost as good. Not to mention hold the screwdriver.
-Kevin

Open the Philips driver, the locking screwdriver, and the blade on the liner locking One Hand Trekker..........and you got one MEAN handful if you hold the blade in a reverse grip with the Philips between the fingers.

:D ;) :eek:

Hi Numberthree. I don't know if the SAK is an "excellent gauge of one's knife handling skills", but I can agree that you have to use the right tool for the job. I just can't agree that its a SAK. To me the SAK is promoted as a rugged survival tool. One issued to the military that may be expected to be used when there is no other more appropriate tool at hand. It is supposed to be useful in a variety of situations, and is full of nifty gadgets. To me these have to be practically useable as tools or they are just nifty gadgets and dead weight. I would never issue a SAK to U.S. troops. Give them a Wave or a Supertool. We both recognize that there are challenges which the SAK can't meet. This is the very essence of your comment. That people unwisely use a SAK for tasks beyond its abilities. When the knife closed on me it was the only knife and tool I had. I carried it specifically so I wouldn't have to lug around a tool box. So I could be prepared to meet life's little emergencies. When I realized it couldn't meet my expectations I started to carry tools that more closely matched my expectations and with a greater chance of successfully meeting those challenges. ( I am not saying that no multitool will ever fail - only that there are more stoutly built knives and multitools. I don't abuse my knives and multitools. I haven't broken one yet, but I expect them to stand up to the challenge. If they break I am satisfied that at least the tool I was using and equipped with was the strongest there was as far as I could determine. I would never willingly use my knife as a prybar, but if I had no chioice I would and I would expect it to take some degree of abuse before giving up the ghost) If you carry a SAK, knowing there are many things you shouldn't do with it aren't you babying it? And do you carry a different multitool for those tasks or do you just not tackle them? Don't get me wrong. I don't hate SAKs. I just don't favor them. As I stated in my last post I carried a Craftsmen for many years. When I got my SOG power pliers I carried my SAK for at least a year before I reluctantly concluded there was no point to carrying it and the SOG. And I must admit that when I saw the first LM I was very sceptical that it would be as good as my SAK. Lastly, I have never seen a SAK display which says the knives are only for sale to experienced knife users and that the knife and tools are not able to meet every contingency and should not be overstressed. (May be in the fine print?) If you put gadgets on a knife its to be expected they will be used. If they fail in use who's more at fault? The user/consumer or the manufacturer? If the consumer why? because they naively believed the SAK aura/reputation? Lacked the experience to recognize that the only tool they might have in an emergency just can't stand up to the challenge? Didn't carry a LM as a backup? In short, don't be too hard on those of us who have had a mishap with our SAKs. And before anyone asks - no, I'm not getting rid of my SAKs. They are keepers ;)

Expanding on what I said earlier about the SAK blade being a different-use blade as a companion for a "real" knife (specifically, a scalpel-sharp, delicate use knife)...

If I were in a survival, find a way to sustain so I don't have to eat my friends situation, I would definitely want a SAK. I'd even choose it over a Leatherman. But I'd surely want a "real" knife too. Use the big knife to chop a sappling and make a spear, but the SAK would make a better fishhook.

If I had to choose just one knife, it'd probably be a SAK (but with a locking blade), although the Leatherman Charge Ti looks promising. It would NOT be a simple folder or fixed blade. Now though, a good folder (bali or auto) and Leatherman Squirt S4 suits me quite nicely, and the SAKs stay at home collecting dust.

metallicat said:
Hi Numberthree. I don't know if the SAK is an "excellent gauge of one's knife handling skills", but I can agree that you have to use the right tool for the job. I just can't agree that its a SAK. To me the SAK is promoted as a rugged survival tool. One issued to the military that may be expected to be used when there is no other more appropriate tool at hand. It is supposed to be useful in a variety of situations, and is full of nifty gadgets. To me these have to be practically useable as tools or they are just nifty gadgets and dead weight. I would never issue a SAK to U.S. troops. Give them a Wave or a Supertool. We both recognize that there are challenges which the SAK can't meet. This is the very essence of your comment. That people unwisely use a SAK for tasks beyond its abilities. When the knife closed on me it was the only knife and tool I had. I carried it specifically so I wouldn't have to lug around a tool box. So I could be prepared to meet life's little emergencies. When I realized it couldn't meet my expectations I started to carry tools that more closely matched my expectations and with a greater chance of successfully meeting those challenges. ( I am not saying that no multitool will ever fail - only that there are more stoutly built knives and multitools. I don't abuse my knives and multitools. I haven't broken one yet, but I expect them to stand up to the challenge. If they break I am satisfied that at least the tool I was using and equipped with was the strongest there was as far as I could determine. I would never willingly use my knife as a prybar, but if I had no chioice I would and I would expect it to take some degree of abuse before giving up the ghost) If you carry a SAK, knowing there are many things you shouldn't do with it aren't you babying it? And do you carry a different multitool for those tasks or do you just not tackle them? Don't get me wrong. I don't hate SAKs. I just don't favor them. As I stated in my last post I carried a Craftsmen for many years. When I got my SOG power pliers I carried my SAK for at least a year before I reluctantly concluded there was no point to carrying it and the SOG. And I must admit that when I saw the first LM I was very sceptical that it would be as good as my SAK. Lastly, I have never seen a SAK display which says the knives are only for sale to experienced knife users and that the knife and tools are not able to meet every contingency and should not be overstressed. (May be in the fine print?) If you put gadgets on a knife its to be expected they will be used. If they fail in use who's more at fault? The user/consumer or the manufacturer? If the consumer why? because they naively believed the SAK aura/reputation? Lacked the experience to recognize that the only tool they might have in an emergency just can't stand up to the challenge? Didn't carry a LM as a backup? In short, don't be too hard on those of us who have had a mishap with our SAKs. And before anyone asks - no, I'm not getting rid of my SAKs. They are keepers ;)

:eek: Paragraphs help!! :eek:

Ok, after my eyes have readjusted ;) , I beleive in what number three was saying. I don't beleive he was talking about the tools as much as the blade. If you can't use a SAK blade without cutting yourself, you will never be succesful at using slipjoints. If that's the case you are missing out on the finest cutting knives in the knife world.

As for the tools though, they seem to be up to every job I put them too. If you guys feel differently I don't know what to tell you. They have worked for me though and countless others. Glad the SAK's are keepers though!
-Kevin

I hate SAKs because they are smug. They are so prim and neat that they remind me of those blokes who always have their shirt tucked in, hair short, wear bowties, weigh the same as when they where seventeen, always smile and never seem to have any personal crises. They are flawless, uncomplicated and so 100% reliable that they make me sour and nervous. That chipper, can-do, attitude is just irritating.

I hate SAKs because women feel unthreatened by them. They are like that gay bloke who is best friends with your girlfriend. You can hear them both laughing behind the door when you come home but they go silent when you walk in the room.

I hate the fact that they always have an answer to any problem, like that dweeb at school who claimed to know everything. He didn’t just know the name of the Unknown Soldier but also the bloke who shot him. The geek who was at the bottom of the high school food chain who is now signing your paychecks.

I hate my SAKs, all twelve of them. I hate each new one even more. I hate the fact that they never wear out, giving me no excuse to get a new one, exposing me as an indulgent greedy fool.

I hate my soldier SAK the most. The way is just sits there, looking as good as it did five years ago in unspoken judgement of the fact that I do not. I’m better than you, it silently intimates. You know it. I know it. End of story.

Sorry to revive this thread after seven years, but this post is hilarious.

I think Leatherman makes better multi-tools, but there is really no reason to hate SAK's. They are just not very exciting for high-end knife enthusiasts. I have a hunting SAK in my backpack, it's there if I need to open a bottle of wine or a can of food.. I wish they used harder and more wear resistant steels on the main blade, though. But I can't really hate them, they are virtually maintenance free, they never rust and they sharpen in under two minutes.

I don't care much for them. I don't really like multi tools without locking blades. I realize some SAKs have lock, but most don't. They just aren't my style. I'm a leatherman guy. I like the interchangeable bits/saw/file on my sure, and the pliers, and it is far more heavy duty. I know there are SAKs with pliers, but again, most don't. I find the average leatherman to be more functional and more durable. If I'm going to carry a multi tool, I would rather take a leatherman.

I understand why people like SAKs, but they dont fit my lifestyle very well.

The only ones I used to like are the ALOX ( aluminum scales) ones like the Soldier, Pioneer , or Electrician. The Discontinued Soldier model is a good substitute for the U.S. camp knife.
For me it ends there. Even the ALOX ones I eventually gave them all away.
Got the same feelings about Moras also. Don't know why a lot of people rave about them. I put them through their paces in the bush years ago and realized there where a lot of better knives out there. Same goes for slipjoints and folders ; that's why I lost the Vics.

This whole thread is blasphemy. :D

Resurrecting a seven-year-old thread with only two posts? The moderators have eyes on you now. :cool:

This whole thread is blasphemy. :D

Resurrecting a seven-year-old thread with only two posts? The moderators have eyes on you now. :cool:

Noted. For the record, I own Alox Cadet, Alox Soldier, Climber, Explorer, Wegner Air Traveler and several Classics. So, yeah, this whole thread IS blasphemy. :cool:

Hey, I like that idea. Very interesting. I have two Wengers that I carry and a number of Victor's in my collection so I would find that very interesting.

NecroThread.jpg

Back