Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

I scrubbed the maker's mark, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I just got a whole catalog full of 100 slight variations of this exact same knife, or even worse the one that looks like a hooker's boot from 1805.
Many of these are going for $50 or so, and not only is the steel mostly unmarked or 440, but they don't lock in most CASEs (no names, no names). If it were a once a year edition I would get it, but there are literally like 100-200 permutations of the same basic design.

Enlighten me as to why these are still popular.

Attachments

• knife.jpg
    knife.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 279
I buy, carry and use them to annoy people that don’t like them. And sometimes what the twins up above said.
9wri.jpg

I scrubbed the maker's mark, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I just got a whole catalog full of 100 slight variations of this exact same knife, or even worse the one that looks like a hooker's boot from 1805.
Many of these are going for $50 or so, and not only is the steel mostly unmarked or 440, but they don't lock in most CASEs (no names, no names). If it were a once a year edition I would get it, but there are literally like 100-200 permutations of the same basic design.

Seriously?

You mean there’s actually people who don’t buy old timey knives that don’t lock?

I went a good 25 years with a slip joint before my first lock back. But I had a few fixed blades when working on tougher things and when I didn’t want a folder. Old timey knives are my favorite!

Here are some who are buying them who can enlighten you.

https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/traditional-folders-and-fixed-blades.773/

Traditional no locking knives are great but not all of them and since you made a clear insinuation of one brand I will comment on that brand. I personally don't care for Case knives their steel is run too soft and their price point doesn't really fit in line with the craftsmanship comparative to many less expensive alternatives.

They are nice, if not my thing. I have two by Case, both gifts. One from my dad in 1991 for my 12th birthday, one from my friend this year for my 40th. They are nice when a modern, one handed folder is not appropriate. I often carry my little one when I'm at other peoples houses for parties, holidays, especially if they are people who are afeard of everything. My sister has three little kids, and opening Christmas/Birthday presents the thin, small blade is great.

My two.

4kweLLd.jpg

vuFqhxg.jpg

Also, variety is the spice of life. To use, a slipjoint or traditional style folder is fine. But I have major adhd, and its nice to have something to fiddle with that is also useful. I could easily get by with my Vic Super Tinker for most cutting related things if I had to. It still goes with me everywhere. Kept in my diabetes supply/go everywhere bag in the picture above.

Tradion. And they do look nice. I have a few, but almost never carry them. I understand the love for the most part, but you're right about the lack of variation. I could never be thrilled with 17 different colored stag handles.

The current GEC slip joint is the #86 Oil Field Jack- that looks similar to your "scrubbed" picture. Some of the interested folks are buying one of each variation and that means they are spending about $1000 on the assortment. I don't depend on locks, but on slip joints, I prefer half stops.

Back