Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

The "no locks allowed" post makes the most sense to me- maybe there's a state where that's a law? I doubt Chinese are buying knives from us like this. I just don't get who these guys amassing $100(0)?! worth of variations each year are and what they get out of nail clipper sized blades. Scraping corrosion off or splicing telegraph wires? Cutting tonight's programming out of TV Guide or "Laughter is the Best Medicine" out of the latest copy of Reader's Digest?
I'm poking fun, but the number of these knives still being produced means I am obviously wrong about something. I presume that it's not a TSA thing or something else that makes sense. Fast forward 50 years I have to believe these are going the way of the dinosaur, how many people under 40 are buying these knives?

The "no locks allowed" post makes the most sense to me- maybe there's a state where that's a law? I doubt Chinese are buying knives from us like this. I just don't get who these guys amassing $100(0)?! worth of variations each year are and what they get out of nail clipper sized blades. Scraping corrosion off or splicing telegraph wires? Cutting tonight's programming out of TV Guide or "Laughter is the Best Medicine" out of the latest copy of Reader's Digest?
I'm poking fun, but the number of these knives still being produced means I am obviously wrong about something. I presume that it's not a TSA thing or something else that makes sense. Fast forward 50 years I have to believe these are going the way of the dinosaur, how many people under 40 are buying these knives?
You must also be confused about why humans would collect anything at all....

Assuming you are not just trolling...
May I ask how old you are? You seem puzzled by the fact that many people like a different style of knife than you do. Age may be a factor, since many of us grew up in a time when the word "pocketknife" meant one of these non-locking traditionals. I live in a state where I can carry any kind of knife I want, and I like both modern locking knives and old timey slipjoints. Isn't it great there's something for everyone?
SF9aTSV.jpg

Who says locking folding knives are the "best"?
No lock mean easier to close.
No lock means no lock rock.
No lock means no lock to wear out due to use.
No lock means not having to clean the mechanism or it will fail.

I don't think you'll ever get it and you are "obviously wrong about something". Continue buying your thick bladed flippers or auto knives and go on. There are many people under 40 buying these knives. You should get a fairly good one and give it a try with an open mind. I suspect they will still be making them 50 years from now and they will continue to sell and be used. There is a lot of style going on with slip joints.

How do you feel about SAKs?

The OP just doesn't seem to get it.
As someone who normally carries a "tactical" folder, and owns crazy things such as Smatchets, I also have a number of the confounding knives with no locks. ;)

Hell, I'm the guy who made the beast in this thread...

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/behold-the-mega-smatchet.1537764/

...yet I still get why a knife with no lock can still be used.

Check this thread:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cool-knife-find-after-junkie-grossness.1550910/

I do generally prefer knives with locks though.

The current GEC slip joint is the #86 Oil Field Jack- that looks similar to your "scrubbed" picture. Some of the interested folks are buying one of each variation and that means they are spending about $1000 on the assortment. I don't depend on locks, but on slip joints, I prefer half stops.

I've seen a huge upswing of this one recently, especially in the EDC thread.

I have several old traditionals and slip joints and the GEC 86 is beautiful. But, at the same time I've been spoiled by modern day locking folders, and pocket clips. So, while I keep going back and forth about purchasing one, at the end of the day I'll probably just admire from afar. All I need to carry everyday is a folder and my classic SAK, and that is usually only for the toothpick, scissors and nail file.

Last edited:
Cscotttsss Cscotttsss I don't get interested in every one, but the 86 does click most of the boxes for me. I don't think I have seen this much interest since the Improved Trapper #48 came out. I actually own two of the 48's but that is not the norm for me in terms of buying more than one variation. Next year I hear that GEC will be making trappers. That's good as it's my favorite pattern.

Reactions: vba
Who buys 'em?
People who have class.
People who know how to use a knife as a knife to cut stuff, and don't need a locking blade.
People who want more than one blade on their knife.
People who are not trying to "impress" strangers on how "bad arse" they are.
People who don't need or want "tactical".
(when was the last time as a civilian you had to take out an enemy sentry, for example)
People who know that without considerable training, a knife is a really bad "weapon" and a horrible choice for self defense.

Last edited:
There’s a number of things a big chunky knife can’t do because they are to big. A small slip joint traditional such as a 303 Buck can fit in some close confines and still do the job. I carry one all the time and they’re good for digging a splinter out, doing some delicate trimming, precise cuts making a gasket. Lots of different things. And it doesn’t take up much room in pocket. I also carry a large vantage pro or a 110 slim pro for the heavier work.
When hunting small game a trapper works nice for dressing a rabbit or squirrel. Cleans a fish good and proper. As does several other traditional pocket knives. There’s a world out there just waiting to be discovered and many old timey non locking knives have been doing it for at least a few hundred years.

I scrubbed the maker's mark, but I'm sure you know what I am talking about. I just got a whole catalog full of 100 slight variations of this exact same knife, or even worse the one that looks like a hooker's boot from 1805.
Many of these are going for $50 or so, and not only is the steel mostly unmarked or 440, but they don't lock in most CASEs (no names, no names). If it were a once a year edition I would get it, but there are literally like 100-200 permutations of the same basic design.

Enlighten me as to why these are still popular.

source.gif

Back