Who is buying these old-timey knives that don't even lock?

If one is too inept to use a non locking knife for appropriate tasks, the one should avoid them.
Others appreciate their design and construction and their elegance is very desirable to many who appreciate old world craftsmanship and ingenuity.
Way too much common sense in this post for this thread. How dare you?

I could be sarcastic and say “yeah, they don’t even lock, the blades are super THIN, and they look like old man knifes!”, but I won’t. :rolleyes:

Instead I’ll answer honestly by saying “most of us on this website, with the exclusion of at least one person”.

There’s not much to “get” with a slipjoint. You either get it or you don’t.

I absolutely love my 2018 forum buck - non locking joy with cpm-154 and elk scales which turned out excellent imho
the old world design and scales and new pm steel really make a nice combination
Same! :thumbsup:

First off lets get this photo sorted out so we can see it.
Isn't that better ?
knife.jpg

Second blade locks are HIGHLY OVER RATED.
It's a fun thing to have on the knife and to play with and fidget with.
In use I have never found I really NEEDED a blade lock.
I have just scads of similar knives (I'm a Case Trapper junkie) and I've never had the blade even hint at closing on me, but, knock on wood, I know how to use a slip joint knife; been doing it for fifty some years so . . .

Third the bone scales on these slip joints are beautiful / handsome, they have decent grip and traction in use, they aren't as cold to handle in cold weather as say an all Titanium frame lock would be.

They are inexpensive enough one can buy another one now and then as a treat without feeling guilty and as you said there are so dang many of them there is a lot of variety to please everyone.

I just got a Case Trapper with Black Water Buffalo scales and I'm quite happy to have it and have carried it for weeks . . . even though I have about forty cajillon other Trappers of various handle variety.

PS : and these blade shapes, in many ways, are superior in USE to the overly thick, overly wide "high tech" modern locking knives.
IMG_6018.jpg
That said
I'm also enjoying my new locking folder in Maxamet.
As Richard Alpert once said : you got to play at all levels.
IMG_6051.jpg

Need a knife to match your Christmas Pendleton Wool Shirt ?
No problem with Case . . . they got a knife for every occasion ! ;) :cool:
IMG_6059.JPG

Last edited:
oeerRM9h.jpg

gZwbtFth.jpg

I have mixed feelings about slipjoints.
On one hand all I grew up with was antique worn out traditionals. Blades that required needle nose pliers to open, broken blades/tools, loose scales, and difficult to get clean especially rust. On the other hand there's modern slip joints that solve all those problems but for some reason they don't do it for me either. I especially dislike modern slip joints that quickly snap closed. But I can understand why people like them.

I've said it before but I love knife locks. I find them to be one the most interesting parts of a knife. For myself it's one of the main things I look at for trying to judge quality as quite often it's something I can see and feel. Maybe that's where many slip joints fail for me as a lot of them you will never see how it works and how well the parts are made.

But OP it's apples and oranges. Everyone has different tastes and needs.

ill just reply to this bit with the fact I am a couple years from 40 now and while I preferred locking knives when I was younger, they were the new cool thing, I have always liked the classic slip joint knives. They have never and seem unlikely to ever go out of style.

Enjoy what's left of your 30s, 40 has been rough for me at least.

My version of variety is never having multiples and avoiding black, unless it's CF.

Back